Adjusting Valves Yes or No

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
Yeah it really wasn't bad, and this was my first time doing it on anything. Hardest part was reading the Top dead center mark on the flywheel through that inspection hole!
How did you read that mark? I have the service manual which shows a drawing the doesn't look like what I'm seeing thru the hole. I just used a traditional method to find tdc.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
How did you read that mark? I have the service manual which shows a drawing the doesn't look like what I'm seeing thru the hole. I just used a traditional method to find tdc.
I have a sideways "T" on my flywheel as opposed to the right side up "T" shown in the manual. I had to rotate the flywheel maybe three revolutions before I realized it. Maybe yours is like mine, maybe they all are and the manual is wrong? Really you have to be a contortionist with super vision to be able to see it!

S

SEW

Jul 31, 2015
I have a sideways "T" on my flywheel as opposed to the right side up "T" shown in the manual. I had to rotate the flywheel maybe three revolutions before I realized it. Maybe yours is like mine, maybe they all are and the manual is wrong? Really you have to be a contortionist with super vision to be able to see it!
Thanks. I'd adjusted mine at about 70 miles. Now have ~250 and will check and readjust. A note to those who aren't familiar with mechanical (vs hydraulic) valve adjustments: after initial break-in , valves change relatively little provided the valves and heads are made of quality materials. Personally, I'd consider adjusting the Pioneer's valves at 50 and 200ish miles and then see how much they're off at 400-500 miles and then decide the frequency needed.

Reactions: Tflynn
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I need to check them.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Good info. No for me. I'm getting close to 4000 miles and not checked them. Runs better today than the day I brought it home.

Reactions: swsebek
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
how lingoes it take to do it? is it hard? what do u have to do maybe a quick summery and do I have to buy the service Manuel to do it. I have done valve adjustments on my street bikes before prob harder than this is having to re do the timing etc and put thicker and thinner shims in etc pain in the but

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
how lingoes it take to do it? is it hard? what do u have to do maybe a quick summery and do I have to buy the service Manuel to do it. I have done valve adjustments on my street bikes before prob harder than this is having to re do the timing etc and put thicker and thinner shims in etc pain in the but
Give this a read

P700 - Adjusting valves

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh wait @dale5740, don't you have a 1000? Sorry don't know a thing about that!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!