Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I adjusted my valves the other day and found it is really quite simple to do on the 700. I have never adjusted valves on anything before so I just wanted to kind of add to what the service manual says and add a few pictures. The service manual is pretty brief on this topic, which made me put off doing it! But it's really not bad. Not sure I'll call this a "How To" because I don't have many pictures at the end. So if you have some please add them!

Tools needed-
10mm wrench
Phillips head screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
17mm socket
24mm (I think) socket
8 mm socket
6mm Allen wrench

First you must gain access by raising the bed then removing the seat and the two panels under the driver seat. You'll have to remove a bunch of plastic rivets. Don't worry, by the 3rd or 4th one you'll be good at it! And on the bigger panel there are 3 Phillips head screws as well.

First this little panel comes off

Then this larger one-

I also removed the seat back for more room but that's not necessary to do. Ok now we can see the engine!

I should say, this is a great time to replace your spark plug as you have great access to it with these panels removed.

So next you have to get the engine to top dead center on the compression stroke. If you look at the side of the engine in front of the passenger side rear tire (got that?) you should see this-

Remove that plug with your 6mm Allen wrench.

And remove this cap (the only bolt head somewhat clean in the picture) I think it is a 24mm.

With the 24mm cap removed, you can insert your 17mm into the hole (you probably need an extension) and turn the fly wheel. The manual says to only turn it clock wise. So as you slowly turn it, you have to look in the hole where you removed the plug with the 6mm Allen. You will see the flywheel rotating through this hole. You are looking for a sideways T with a line under it stamped in the flywheel.

I apologize for the photo quality, this was a very difficult picture to get! But on the right hand side of the hole you can see the sideways T and the line under it is hidden by the glare from the flash. You want to line up the line with the tab on the case that is barely visible in the photo.

Note- there is also a sideways F with a line under it on the flywheel! Don't get them confused, and while turning the flywheel when you see the F, the T is coming RIGHT behind it.

So with the piston at TDC you must verify its on the compression stroke. This is easily done by removing the valve covers and giving the rocker arms a wiggle. If there's play, then you are on the compression stroke (good!). If there's no play in the rocker arm, rotate the flywheel around one complete revolution and then you'll be on the compression stroke. Here you can see the rocker arms (the dark arms going to the nut in the center of the valve).

The above photo shows both exhaust valves (valves on the side where the exhaust pipe goes out). These are supposed to be adjusted to .013 inches with a feeler gauge. On the opposite side of the cylinder head are the two intake valves. These are supposed to be at .006 inches.

If your feeler gauge fits between the rocker arm and valve easily and can move around with ease, then your valves are too loose.

Put a 10mm wrench on the nut in the center of the valve (on the end of the rocker arm) and a flat head screw driver on the adjustment screw that the nut is on. Loosen the nut, then you can turn the adjustment screw. Get it down to where you are able to feel some drag on the feeler gauge, probably won't take more than a 1/4-1/2 a turn. When you think you're good, tighten the nut (while holding the adjustment screw) then check again with the feeler gauge. If everything is good, then oil the O-ring on the valve covers and put them back on. DONT FORGET your inspection hole and flywheel hole covers! Once all covers are reinstalled, I like to start the engine to make sure everything sounds good. If it does, then put the plastic panels back on and enjoy your smooth running engine!

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Great write up. I also need to do mine. I will be using this when I do it. How much adjustment did you need on each side?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm glad I could help! I didn't measure exactly how far off they were but the exhaust valves were worse than the intake valves. Intakes were off just enough to justify adjustment. Exhaust valves were off enough to rattle the feeler gauge around! I see you are a lifetime member @wyo700 so you have access to the service manual. Their valve adjustment guide starts on pg. 80.

Last edited:
Reactions: swsebek and Eltobgi
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
One more thing to add-

The manual shows the "T" on the flywheel right side up. Mine was sideways (because of this I verified TDC by removing the spark plug). So for all I know, your "T" may be right side up like in the manual, or sideways like mine.

Reactions: swsebek
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Thanks Tflynn. I love your real language write-ups with pics. I'll be doing this after the oil change and diff changes.

$250 to adjust valves? Shew!

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm just glad you are taking the time to read them!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Great info. The dealer in mufreesboro wanted $250 to do that and another $65 for an oil change. Me being a DIY guy told them that was absolutely outrageous!!!!
Wow! I think I'm in the wrong business

Reactions: swsebek
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Yea me too. I do side work at home and don't make that much an hour. I also gotta big speech about "warranty" if they didn't perform the repairs also. I can perform necessary repairs and document things with paperwork too.

J

Junkymac

Nov 3, 2016
CLE, OH
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great write up. How often you guys adjusting your valves? Just got my 2015 P700. Only has 60hrs on it but not sure how well previous owner did with maintenence. Thanks!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Great write up. How often you guys adjusting your valves? Just got my 2015 P700. Only has 60hrs on it but not sure how well previous owner did with maintenence. Thanks!
Hey @Junkymac, welcome to the club. I did my first valve adjustment at around 3000 miles, don't recall the hours. You might check them if you're having some irregular symptoms. If the motor is running good I'd just ride it!

Reactions: joeymt33
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
On the plastic rivets autozone has a rivet tool that works great doesn't cost much and won't mess and rivet heads up or stab urself with screw driver trying to pry tgem out

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I think this is going on my ToDo list.
Second service is coming up soon. Not sure bh seams like i have to crank a little to long before it starts, maybe this will help.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You forgot to be thankful you have a rocker arm motor and don't have under bucket shims lmao. Great real world write up.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Tflynn, I still haven't don't the valve adjustment as of yet. Does it take a few seconds of cranking before the engine fires and runs ?( like 2 to 3 seconds in normal weather) I'm wondering if the valve adjustment will help with this.
I'm in the process of installing a full size battery in mine,so I will have the plastics removed anyways.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tflynn, I still haven't don't the valve adjustment as of yet. Does it take a few seconds of cranking before the engine fires and runs ?( like 2 to 3 seconds in normal weather) I'm wondering if the valve adjustment will help with this.
I'm in the process of installing a full size battery in mine,so I will have the plastics removed anyways.
Yeah I think a few seconds is normal. But if you're going to have all the plastic out of the way I'd just do the valve adjustment. Takes longer to remove all plastic then it takes to adjust the valves.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
On the plastic rivets autozone has a rivet tool that works great doesn't cost much and won't mess and rivet heads up or stab urself with screw driver trying to pry tgem out

I took one of my pry bars, and a bit of grinding with a death wheel and BAM rivet tool, works great, and was a $2 prybar.
IMG 20160118 135201

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!