Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The question was asked.
Will a better spark plug improve performance?

If so...
What spark plug are you running?
Did you notice any difference in performance?
Or fuel mileage?

Would anyone like to run down a list of replacements for the club?
Thanks.

Honda Recomended Plug
BKR5E-11 (NGK) or K16PR-U11 (DENSO):
  • Threaddiameter: 14mm
  • Threadreach: 19mm
  • Seattype: flat
  • Hexsize: 16mm
  • Tipconfiguration: projected
  • Construction: Standard construction
  • Terminaltype: Solid

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Pioneer 500 and 700 use the same spark plug, BKR5E-11 (NGK) or K16PR-U11 (DENSO. The expensive Rincon plug is IFR5L-11, Laser Iridium Plug the optional Rincon plug is one heat range colder, IFR6L-11 and I use that one in my 700 and 500. The Laser Iridium Plug has the best life span, a bit better then the BKR5EIX-11 plug

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hondabob said:
The Pioneer 500 and 700 use the same spark plug, BKR5E-11 (NGK) or K16PR-U11 (DENSO. The expensive Rincon plug is IFR5L-11, Laser Iridium Plug the optional Rincon plug is one heat range colder, IFR6L-11 and I use that one in my 700 and 500. The Laser Iridium Plug has the best life span, a bit better then the BKR5EIX-11 plug

Difference in performance, response, or gas mileage?

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
In real world riding you really won't feel any difference in the performance of motor by changing just the plug unless there is a problem with the existing one.
Even if they would somehow give you a 3% increase (which is a way high est.) - say on a 30hp motor you are at less than 1hp. Then subtract off the loss in the drivetrain and you go down from there. You can get better life out of a better plug but real world power is tough.
If you want to gain a bit more "power" performance, gas mileage, etc look into losing some weight on the machine - basically increases the power to weight ratio. Reduce the rim weight is one place to start, tire weight is another. On another note - Be careful messing with air filters to gain power (if you decide to go a different route) you sometime also gain dirt with more air and that iis an engine killer.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Can anyone explain the hot rating? It's common thought a HOTTER plug will deliver better results and is needed after you add a high flow filter, muffler, and open up intake. But reading up on it from several sites.... They say a colder plug is what you need, not hotter?
Now I'm really confused.
Thanks.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
spark plug heat ranges are how much heat it takes the plug to warm up changing heat ranges or brands have nothing to do with making more power colder heat range plugs are better for small engines here is a better explanation http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/techn ... xplanation

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
I thought about putting a hotter plug in mine where I do I lot of idling around hunting in the fall but after inspecting it I don't think I need to. I did hear a dealer mention that they had trouble with the plug fowling from just running them around the yard but that would have more to do with fuel mixture being rich on cold engine never warming up.

How often are you guys changing your plug? I usually change them once a year but the Honda's don't seem very hard on plugs.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good question. Haven't noticed in the manual where it says how often or when to change the plug. Cheap as they are I would think once a year is a good schedule, although probably overkill. Better to error on that side

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Stick with the recommended heat range plug unless your having a problem, like preignition or fouling. The length of the porcilyn insulation from the tip to the bottom of the plug on the inside determine the heat range. So that the temperature remains with in a set range. If you run at wide open throttle all the time the plug may overheat and may not stay within the temp range and cause preignition (firing from heat not from the spark) that would be a reason to go to a colder plug. If you just putt around at 2 mph the plug may foul from being to cold so you would need a hotter plug to prevent fouling. A hotter plug will not increase power output. So unless you have a problem stay with the heat range plug recommended by the manufacture.

B

bigbruse

Jun 28, 2016
va
Ownership

1. 700-4
How hard are the spark plugs to get to on a 2016 pioneer 700 are they easy to change out? i have 1500 miles and never changed them out yet.

B

bigbruse

Jun 28, 2016
va
Ownership

1. 700-4
anybody know why some places tell me to use ngk CPR6EB-9 plug for my 2016 pioneer 700?

Reactions: Omcba92
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would install whatever comes out, or if Honda has superceded with a new number. Any online parts seller should be able to give the most current part number.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!