HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Didn't see one of these so I figured I'd try and document it as I swapped mine out. About a 20 minute job.

Swapping out my air filter after a little over 2k miles. It still didn't look that bad and I'd have no issue running it for another 500-1k miles... but I had a new one and I was bored.

New air filter element (comes with 2 new gaskets as well):

PXL 20210519 000038892

PXL 20210519 000036586

Tools:

5mm Allen head socket
1/4 or 3/8 socket wrench
Medium (4"-5") extension
Small flat head screwdriver (a pick or pocket knife works too)
Few shop rags

PXL 20210519 001553661

PXL 20210519 001556451

Step 1:

Pop the dump bed back using the dump lever (and open rear doors on 1k5 for better access)
Remove the four push clips that hold the airbox shroud on. There are two on the driver side and two on the passenger side. You should be able to lightly press in on the center of the clip with the small screwdriver to release them. If they are hard to depress it means they are full of mud/funk and I've found hitting them with a little WD-40 will loosen it up. These are easy to break, so take your time. Push the detent in and then use your screwdriver to get under the lip and wiggle them out.

PXL 20210519 0022133572
PXL 20210519 0022594912

PXL 20210519 001742213

Once those are out you'll see that there's a small peg that goes into a rubber grommet on the passenger side that holds it in place. Just pull up and the shroud will come free. Mine is filthy because this is always covered up by plastic; don't you judge me!

PXL 20210519 002218000

PXL 20210519 001924691

PXL 20210519 0018514812

Step 2:

Clean the outside and remove the airbox cover. There are 10 5mm Allen head bolts holding the airbox cover on. These are made of cheese, so treat them as such. Don't use an impact and use a brand new 5mm allen head socket if you've got one. Make sure you clean out the hex heads as they'll more than likely be full of crud. Make certain you've got the Allen fully seated in the bolt before you try to loosen it. All these bolts are captured so don't worry about losing them as you loosen.

PXL 20210519 001659174

This is the bolt most people strip. The crossbar for the headrest/seat back drops down above it and if your extension is too long, it won't let you fully seat the wrench. It also seems to hold the most crud. Shine a light in there and make sure it's cleaned out before you start twisting.

PXL 20210519 0016506952

Work your way along and fully loosen all 10 bolts. Slowly remove the airbox lid once they are all loose.

Step 3:

Remove airbox lid, old filter element, and both gaskets. There's a 5mm allen bolt holding the filter element into the housing that you'll need to loosen to remove it (it's captured also, so don't worry about it falling out). A lot of people don't think the gasket is even there, but it will be pressed tight in the groove and be flattened. Use your screwdriver to work it loose while being careful not to damage the channel it sits in. There is one on the airbox lid and one on the filter side of the airbox.

PXL 20210518 235536108

PXL 20210518 235539236

PXL 20210518 235541539

There's a longer gasket included with the new element that goes on the airbox lid. Don't firmly press it into the groove as you work it around or you'll end up with extra slack in the gasket and have to start over. Just lightly press it in and work your way around. Set it aside once you've got the new gasket in. I put a few shop rags in the intakes just to prevent anything from falling in while the cover is off.

PXL 20210519 000001118

PXL 20210518 235613424

Wipe out the filter side of the airbox with a damp shop rag and then make sure to wipe it all dry. Install the smaller gasket included with your new filter in the same fashion as the one you installed on the airbox lid side. I found it easiest to kneel on the middle seat and lean over the bar for most of this.

Step 4:

Reinstall the new filter element and airbox lid. Drop in your new filter and snug up the 5mm Allen bolt. Make sure to pull the rags or whatever you put over the intakes out before installing the airbox lid. I also made sure to clean out all of the Allen heads for the airbox lid with compressed air and WD-40 while I had it off because it was much easier to get to them. Clean out the airbox lid really well; it should have zero residue/dust/mud from your grubby hands in it before reinstalling.

PXL 20210518 234350573

Carefully put the airbox lid back in place and then tighten the Allen bolts by hand with the extension and 5mm Allen socket, working in a criss-cross pattern until you've got all 10 snug. Using the ratchet, tighten the bolts until you feel them bottom out. No need to Hercules these in as the gaskets will compress and do their job (remember, treat the bolts like they are made of cheese....).

Step 5:

Reinstall the airbox shroud. Grab your 4 push clips and the shroud. Push the peg into the grommet on the passenger side to hold the shroud in the correct position while you install the clips. Press the pointed/bottom side of the clip upward to make the button protrude before installing.

PXL 20210519 002053416

Line up the holes and press the button in to lock the clips in. Now you're done and can enjoy many ice cold adult beverages knowing your Pioneer will breathe easy!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
when I was changing my air filter, the bottom gasket seem like it was too big to fit in the channel, I had extra hanging out.
has anybody else had this problem?
Did u try and reuse the one you had or was that the new one that came with it

Reactions: Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remember the last time I replaced the filter, those gaskets seemed waaay too big to go into the slots. That was based on me trying to match them up first, before I pulled the old ones. I remember wondering if it had shipped with the wrong ones?

I wound up just leaving the old ones in there. Next time, I'll try to figure it out again.

Rocket

Rocket

Rocket
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2018
Bullard, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Didn't see one of these so I figured I'd try and document it as I swapped mine out. About a 20 minute job.

Swapping out my air filter after a little over 2k miles. It still didn't look that bad and I'd have no issue running it for another 500-1k miles... but I had a new one and I was bored.

New air filter element (comes with 2 new gaskets as well):

View attachment 272447
View attachment 272448

Tools:

5mm Allen head socket
1/4 or 3/8 socket wrench
Medium (4"-5") extension
Small flat head screwdriver (a pick or pocket knife works too)
Few shop rags

View attachment 272462
View attachment 272463

Step 1:

Pop the dump bed back using the dump lever (and open rear doors on 1k5 for better access)
Remove the four push clips that hold the airbox shroud on. There are two on the driver side and two on the passenger side. You should be able to lightly press in on the center of the clip with the small screwdriver to release them. If they are hard to depress it means they are full of mud/funk and I've found hitting them with a little WD-40 will loosen it up. These are easy to break, so take your time. Push the detent in and then use your screwdriver to get under the lip and wiggle them out.

View attachment 272464View attachment 272465

View attachment 272503

Once those are out you'll see that there's a small peg that goes into a rubber grommet on the passenger side that holds it in place. Just pull up and the shroud will come free. Mine is filthy because this is always covered up by plastic; don't you judge me!

View attachment 272472
View attachment 272473
View attachment 272474

Step 2:

Clean the outside and remove the airbox cover. There are 10 5mm Allen head bolts holding the airbox cover on. These are made of cheese, so treat them as such. Don't use an impact and use a brand new 5mm allen head socket if you've got one. Make sure you clean out the hex heads as they'll more than likely be full of crud. Make certain you've got the Allen fully seated in the bolt before you try to loosen it. All these bolts are captured so don't worry about losing them as you loosen.

View attachment 272493

This is the bolt most people strip. The crossbar for the headrest/seat back drops down above it and if your extension is too long, it won't let you fully seat the wrench. It also seems to hold the most crud. Shine a light in there and make sure it's cleaned out before you start twisting.

View attachment 272494

Work your way along and fully loosen all 10 bolts. Slowly remove the airbox lid once they are all loose.

Step 3:

Remove airbox lid, old filter element, and both gaskets. There's a 5mm allen bolt holding the filter element into the housing that you'll need to loosen to remove it (it's captured also, so don't worry about it falling out). A lot of people don't think the gasket is even there, but it will be pressed tight in the groove and be flattened. Use your screwdriver to work it loose while being careful not to damage the channel it sits in. There is one on the airbox lid and one on the filter side of the airbox.

View attachment 272487
View attachment 272488
View attachment 272489

There's a longer gasket included with the new element that goes on the airbox lid. Don't firmly press it into the groove as you work it around or you'll end up with extra slack in the gasket and have to start over. Just lightly press it in and work your way around. Set it aside once you've got the new gasket in. I put a few shop rags in the intakes just to prevent anything from falling in while the cover is off.

View attachment 272491
View attachment 272490

Wipe out the filter side of the airbox with a damp shop rag and then make sure to wipe it all dry. Install the smaller gasket included with your new filter in the same fashion as the one you installed on the airbox lid side. I found it easiest to kneel on the middle seat and lean over the bar for most of this.

Step 4:

Reinstall the new filter element and airbox lid. Drop in your new filter and snug up the 5mm Allen bolt. Make sure to pull the rags or whatever you put over the intakes out before installing the airbox lid. I also made sure to clean out all of the Allen heads for the airbox lid with compressed air and WD-40 while I had it off because it was much easier to get to them. Clean out the airbox lid really well; it should have zero residue/dust/mud from your grubby hands in it before reinstalling.

View attachment 272502

Carefully put the airbox lid back in place and then tighten the Allen bolts by hand with the extension and 5mm Allen socket, working in a criss-cross pattern until you've got all 10 snug. Using the ratchet, tighten the bolts until you feel them bottom out. No need to Hercules these in as the gaskets will compress and do their job (remember, treat the bolts like they are made of cheese....).

Step 5:

Reinstall the airbox shroud. Grab your 4 push clips and the shroud. Push the peg into the grommet on the passenger side to hold the shroud in the correct position while you install the clips. Press the pointed/bottom side of the clip upward to make the button protrude before installing.

View attachment 272504

Line up the holes and press the button in to lock the clips in. Now you're done and can enjoy many ice cold adult beverages knowing your Pioneer will breathe easy!
Very helpful and VERY WELL DONE!

Last edited:
Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I remember the last time I replaced the filter, those gaskets seemed waaay too big to go into the slots. That was based on me trying to match them up first, before I pulled the old ones. I remember wondering if it had shipped with the wrong ones?

I wound up just leaving the old ones in there. Next time, I'll try to figure it out again.
Same thing happened to me.

Reactions: Remington
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never put it in as I don't believe it came with that o-ring from the factory and haven't an issue since 16.

Reactions: Remington
advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never put it in as I don't believe it came with that o-ring from the factory and haven't an issue since 16.
I think it's in there Plumber32, it's just pressed in so deep that it doesn't look like it has a gasket. I was scrutinizing mine last time, and it seems like I could only tell it was there was if I poked at it with a screwdriver..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!