DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
View attachment 64075 Yes yes yes you are right I had my head in azz on that one.....Been working on bikes so much lately.I think maybe mine needs a little cleaning.But I put grease on under that hose clamp just in case and after seeing yours I'm going to check the other side as well...
No...you're not wrong. Some k&n for sure tell you to Grease the lips where the airbox lid seals. My Cherokee was like that.

B

Billybobb3

Aug 1, 2015
I hear ya man! My red Donkey is the exact same. She just keeps taking whatever I throw at her. I considered a 1000/5 but I'm afraid there are things I would be unhappy with. I'm trying to wait until something comes out that I cannot live without Lol.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
View attachment 64075 Yes yes yes you are right I had my head in azz on that one.....Been working on bikes so much lately.I think maybe mine needs a little cleaning.But I put grease on under that hose clamp just in case and after seeing yours I'm going to check the other side as well...
Wow I can't believe that must junk came in on your filter. I've never had anything but dust inside the box. Looks like you need a snorkel!

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Wow I can't believe that must junk came in on your filter. I've never had anything but dust inside the box. Looks like you need a snorkel!
You are right!!! But the 700 has a terrible intake area and I haven't found one I like...the 1000 snorkel through the hood looks good but a pipe up beside the seat Doesnt. I have been kicking and Idea around of chopping my top and using the center ROPS tube as the intake. That way I could put a prefilter up under my roof...

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
You are right!!! But the 700 has a terrible intake area and I haven't found one I like...the 1000 snorkel through the hood looks good but a pipe up beside the seat Doesnt. I have been kicking and Idea around of chopping my top and using the center ROPS tube as the intake. That way I could put a prefilter up under my roof...

Here’s a pic of my homemade snorkel. It cost maybe $30 to make. You don’t even notice it since it sits back further than the seat back. Ive had to point it out to people because they never saw it. Not a hard project at all...
33e20955785db09e6e24474ca18d367d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here’s a pic of my homemade snorkel. It cost maybe $30 to make. You don’t even notice it since it sits back further than the seat back. Ive had to point it out to people because they never saw it. Not a hard project at all...
View attachment 64435

It does look good and appears to be out of the way.You have some more pics? Especially the intake tie in.... all the others I've seen are back breakers or hang outside to be ripped off...
Does it make noise

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok I see why it's out of the way. Because you removed the stock seatbelts.I wondered how you got it back in there.

Last edited:
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok I see why it's out of the way. Because you removed the stock seatbelts.I wondered how you got it back in there.
Yep sure did, harnesses are the way to go. Even when I don't want to put them all the way on I can buckle the bottom without the shoulder straps. This one is similar to mine: Pioneer snorkel
Obviously I went straight up but it'll give you an idea...

Reactions: Tflynn and swsebek
H

HondaTech

OEM, OEM, OEM
Or your gonna be putting a top end in it real quick. UNI is junk, seen several of those ruin perfectly good bikes, you can see through the foam. K&N isnt any better, even Honda factory baja racers use either a stock filter or TwinAir. These engine dont take dirt very lightly, first the rings go then the oil is filled wiht dirt and it gets worse from there. Camshafts, oil pumps, all kinds of stuff.

Reactions: lee and Mudwing
B

bigbruse

Jun 28, 2016
va
Ownership

1. 700-4
View attachment 64435

LandPioneer
do you have a link for your harness seatbelts? i like them.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
OEM, OEM, OEM
Or your gonna be putting a top end in it real quick. UNI is junk, seen several of those ruin perfectly good bikes, you can see through the foam. K&N isnt any better, even Honda factory baja racers use either a stock filter or TwinAir. These engine dont take dirt very lightly, first the rings go then the oil is filled wiht dirt and it gets worse from there. Camshafts, oil pumps, all kinds of stuff.
I totally disagree with Uni being junk. It has been a great filter and I ride constantly in extremely dusty environments. I know several bikes that have run them with zero problems. My Pioneer seems to run better on the UNI vs OEM. I just keep it clean and I oil it regularly. I’ve checked the intake and very little to no dust has made it past the filter. My oil has also shown no signs of contamination. The OEM is much more restrictive.

Last edited:
Reactions: SundayRdr
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I will add one small detail to this air filter thread... what I have noticed is that the breather line coming into the airbox had a round vent that the filter pushes into. On every filter I have it has torn the outer layer some. So as you are installing the filter make sure after you tighten the clamp down. Reach back in and make sure the foam is not twisted and is setting straight or the motor vibration will tear it...

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I just changed my oil and cleaned the air filter and noticed a bunch of oil and water sludge in the bottom of the air box. I assume it comes from the crankcase breather. At least my oil was not contaminated with condensate. Yes, I make many start, stop short trips in the winter that puts condensate in the oil. Seems to run better with new oil and a clean air filter. I try some long trips now and then in the winter to heat the oil up and boil off the condensate. I like the OEM filters, wash and put a little chainsaw oil on them.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just changed my oil and cleaned the air filter and noticed a bunch of oil and water sludge in the bottom of the air box. I assume it comes from the crankcase breather. At least my oil was not contaminated with condensate. Yes, I make many start, stop short trips in the winter that puts condensate in the oil. Seems to run better with new oil and a clean air filter. I try some long trips now and then in the winter to heat the oil up and boil off the condensate. I like the OEM filters, wash and put a little chainsaw oil on them.
That settles it. You MUST ride more often and for longer. This is important.

Reactions: DBD and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!