Talon Alba Racing Dyno testing Talon 1000R

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You do know that the YXZ is the closest thing to Talon although not using a cvt. The Textron XX uses the same engine coupled with a cvt.

Yes, I knew that. I’m not trying to get into an argument here. I would guess that the Textron, soon to be Arctic Cat again, has some of the same power degradation that I mentioned. The point that I hoped to make was that a Dyno on a CVT would probably show less power over time as heat, wear, dirt, etc. take a toll.

Reactions: sharp
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes, I knew that. I’m not trying to get into an argument here. I would guess that the Textron, soon to be Arctic Cat again, has some of the same power degradation that I mentioned. The point that I hoped to make was that a Dyno on a CVT would probably show less power over time as heat, wear, dirt, etc. take a toll.
Oh. Ok. Great.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One dyno did 4 wheel the other did it in 4 wheel with the front wheels off (aka 2wd). Probably accurate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, my bad. Thought they both were tested the same. Still, he was saying other 1000cc brands were more, if I understood him correctly. According to OP, that is not the case.

Reactions: TimG
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm not sure the HP ratings are a big deal to me. If you can't get the power to the ground, it doesn't madder how much you have. Low end torque I can understand, but overall HP is really not something I worry about.
I'm no expert just my .02

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure the HP ratings are a big deal to me. If you can't get the power to the ground, it doesn't madder how much you have. Low end torque I can understand, but overall HP is really not something I worry about.
I'm no expert just my .02

The fact it’s beating the others consistently in drag races says it can get the power to the ground better or has more low end grunt.

@Hondasxs said himself it’s a good crawler. I’ve seen the go on trails I’m familiar with and though I didn’t drive it. I wasn’t able to even think about keeping up in my 1000, so I’m leaning toward torque.

I want trail capability not dyno racing wins so I don’t care about #’s on paper. I want real world functionality.

Just like the travel and power increase over the 700 makes the 1000 MUCH more enjoyable to trail ride. I’m thinking the massive change in travels and 30% increase in power will translate to ear splitting grins from me.

A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
All dyno's and especially brand of dyno's read differently. Comparing numbers from 1 to the other is pointless. What matters when using a dyno is the difference made with mods. Baseline vs. Mod numbers are all that should matter. It is a tool...

Nate
Alba Racing

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Rino cvt was a great design for low hp.
I never had issue with the one in my commander, good engine braking, belt lasted for over 4k before I replaced just because.
The few miles I've done in the talon shows me it's a good crawler, drive it like a cvt, get the machine moving even slowly, so the clutch isn't slipping,
Granted I only have 23 miles. Never had a clutch heat issue.

Reactions: carlsonjmc
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
All dyno's and especially brand of dyno's read differently. Comparing numbers from 1 to the other is pointless. What matters when using a dyno is the difference made with mods. Baseline vs. Mod numbers are all that should matter. It is a tool...

Nate
Alba Racing

Do you have any preliminary follow up numbers to share with the early tests of slip on exhaust, etc. Curious to see how each mod affects the dyno results.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
C

carlsonjmc

Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The fact it’s beating the others consistently in drag races says it can get the power to the ground better or has more low end grunt.

@Hondasxs said himself it’s a good crawler. I’ve seen the go on trails I’m familiar with and though I didn’t drive it. I wasn’t able to even think about keeping up in my 1000, so I’m leaning toward torque.

I want trail capability not dyno racing wins so I don’t care about #’s on paper. I want real world functionality.

Just like the travel and power increase over the 700 makes the 1000 MUCH more enjoyable to trail ride. I’m thinking the massive change in travels and 30% increase in power will translate to ear splitting grins from me.
Sounds like BS ....... one dyno said 70 ..... hahaha ..... the other 85+.
The variance may be in how the gas pedal is pushed and what mode (auto/sport/manual). According to this video with a Honda rep there is a ton of logic built into the computer that change performance aspects. Rolling on the throttle is different than smashing it.

Reactions: Jswank84
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The variance may be in how the gas pedal is pushed and what mode (auto/sport/manual). According to this video with a Honda rep there is a ton of logic built into the computer that change performance aspects. Rolling on the throttle is different than smashing it.

Could be a lot of things, whatever Honda has done it seems to be working. So I’ll be buying one.

A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
There is a lot that doesnt sit well with me. Load percentages on dyno's can greatly effect results. I highly doubt this vehicle is losing more than a CVT does and our dyno results back that up. Also, saying this is competitive with a class 10 is pretty far fetched. Not knocking the vehicle at all just having years and years of experience racing SCORE in the UTV class says differently. With a fully built race platform Polaris turbo or Can-Am turbo we are just getting up there with them.

Nate
Alba Racing

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Haha ya we were having a blast. I will try and get some more video up for you guys!

Nate
Alba Racing

Thanks for the video and info Nate. I like that in your dyno test you ran a wheel that is probably very similar to what you ran on the other tests. I like the attention to detail to get good comparison numbers. Some of these guys just throw out numbers that are incorrect and unfortunately a lot of people grab onto that information.

Reactions: carlsonjmc
K

kpbruka

Mar 26, 2019
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

More power in 4wd? Wahhhhh!?!?

Took a look at the video, I am assuming as the dynojet has the rollers linked the power loss from 2wd powering the roller+linkage/second roller is greater than the power loss going through the 4wd system and powering both rollers.Hence why it might read as though it made more power in 4wd.

A

ALBANATE

Jun 18, 2018
San Diego
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for the video and info Nate. I like that in your dyno test you ran a wheel that is probably very similar to what you ran on the other tests. I like the attention to detail to get good comparison numbers. Some of these guys just throw out numbers that are incorrect and unfortunately a lot of people grab onto that information.

Correct. Tires make a huge difference when dynoing these vehicles. The best way to establish a fair comparison is to run the same tires on every vehicle at the same tire pressure to ensure the data is comparable. I have thousands of dyno pulls with UTV's and our dyno is UTV specific. It is not the standard dynojet with an adjustable eddy current load cell which when incorrectly set can drastically effect both HP/TQ but fuel and timing tuning as well. Also, all of the XP1000's we dyno have the front end off the ground and are usually jumping in and out of 4WD or in 4WD as the P.O.S. front diffs on the XP's are notorious for randomly deciding to engage at any given time... and yes I learned the hard way after one jumped into 4wd and the driveshaft blew out the carrier bearing and hit the cup holders blasting them onto my head. LOL. My dyno numbers are about as accurate and fair as it gets in comparison to other UTV's.

Nate
Alba Racing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!