P1000 all the vent hoses and locations

ua13gt

ua13gt

Oct 13, 2015
Rincon, GA
I extended the vent line on this box as well. It is located underneath machine behind the drivers seat, I'm not sure what it does. Ffdfb6486bbb063d92a37b9c016f6eb7

Last edited:
Reactions: my99svt
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What is that? Anyone know? Now I've got to go check that out.

Reactions: dotman1
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thank you sharing. Looks like a good job done.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I extended the vent line on this box as well. It is located underneath machine behind the drivers seat, I'm not sure what it does. Ffdfb6486bbb063d92a37b9c016f6eb7

I did the same thing this evening. I had an extra bellow so I put that on there.

E4cdbd0ca39819b439e711ddb209c93c

I think this box contains the adjustments for cable operated shifters. Not completely sure on this but seems like I saw a picture of it somewhere.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Seems like I read an article that the diffs and transfer case need to breathe to prevent stale moisture from turning acidic and causing breakdown of the fluids.

Could have been related to something else....
Anymore information on this?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Won't the bellows allow the
fluids to breath in & out and
keep water out? Or do they
have a hole in them?

Are you putting the bellows
on the extension tubes?

Good thread.

John

The bellows do not have holes in them. I have not used extension tubes for any of the 4 bellows I've used. That can go completely under water and not allow contaminates in.

For example, when you first start driving, the bellow will inflate and expand as the differential (or sub trans) warms up. When going in deep water, the diff will cool and deflate the bellow as the air inside the diff cools. Therefore, no extension is needed. This mod converts an open vented system to a closed system.

Reactions: itsleo
HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
The bellows do not have holes in them. I have not used extension tubes for any of the 4 bellows I've used. That can go completely under water and not allow contaminates in.

For example, when you first start driving, the bellow will inflate and expand as the differential (or sub trans) warms up. When going in deep water, the diff will cool and deflate the bellow as the air inside the diff cools. Therefore, no extension is needed. This mod converts an open vented system to a closed system.
I was asking about the post that stated with them not being able to breathe through a vent line will it cause the fluids to become acidic and start breaking down?

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Seems like I read an article that the diffs and transfer case need to breathe to prevent stale moisture from turning acidic and causing breakdown of the fluids.

Which is this post.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was asking about the post that stated with them not being able to breathe through a vent line will it cause the fluids to become acidic and start breaking down?

Ok, I don't have a definitive answer for you. The quote above was directed to johnny's question which is why I copied his quote.

I can make an statement on your question though.

I have not heard of any acidic problems by removing the vent. I would think this would be commonly talked about if it were a problem. Also, if you follow Honda's service guide by changing the diff oils every two years you are keeping the fluid fresh.

I hope this helps. Maybe some others can chime in and let us know if they've heard of it.

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Ok, I don't have a definitive answer for you. The quote above was directed to johnny's question which is why I copied his quote.

I can make an statement on your question though.

I have not heard of any acidic problems by removing the vent. I would think this would be commonly talked about if it were a problem. Also, if you follow Honda's service guide by changing the diff oils every two years you are keeping the fluid fresh.

I hope this helps. Maybe some others can chime in and let us know if they've heard of it.
10 4 thanks

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Have you read this somewhere else? Do you have some information for us that maybe would help us learn about a potential problem?

If this is true, I would be at a potential risk as I have placed Bellows on four different parts of my pioneer

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014

That's where it came from ... It's on the second page if your using Taptalk

HondaTim

HondaTim

Feb 8, 2014
Excuse me ... First page at the bottom

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Artic Cat bellows?

How many do we need.

I like 'em!

Thanks!

John

I think I misunderstood this.

Do the 1k's come with the bellows, or are you
adding them where needed?

If you are adding them, what is the part
number?

John

Last edited:
Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Sorry guys, I can't find that article I read about the fluid needing to breathe. I ran across several discussions regarding over-pressurization of the housings when changing altitudes (i.e. going from 5,000 feet to 12,000 feet) and blowing oil past the seals once the bellows reaches full expansion. I guess as long as you burp it when crossing large altitude changes it should be ok.

I would think over-pressurization would be a more immediate concern.

Reactions: MNnice
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's a good point. Thanks for sharing. I don't plan on going higher than a mile, I wish I could though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!