Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a dumb battery charging question, when ya'll get ready, let me know! I haven't been keeping up with my RC dumb questions this week and don't want to go over my quota! HA!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What's the difference in chargers, got one LiPo only that charges through the balance lead only w/ amp charge settings, second that charges through main battery connection w/ 4 battery selections and amp settings, then my third charger is a Venom Pro 4 that you connect main battery lead and balance lead to. Got ready to crawl yesterday hooked up the Venom charger to the 2S 5 mHa battery to check battery, during battery check it said over charged, loads up and went to the rock pile, timed it, lasted 5 minutes before losing power to crawl rocks, so I put it on flat ground and just kept doing circles trying to drain the battery, all the sudden, buggy comes to life, put it back in the rocks, crawled for 30 minutes, what happened? What's the difference in charging though balance lead only and charging through main battery and balance leads, two different chargers?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I've been reading this thread now since its beginning and have finally got around to taking some pics to post, I did have millions from back in the day that were stored on photobucket but we all know what happened there. I built this in 2008 as a trail truck/ rock crawler using axial scx-10 axles and transmission, traxxas ruster shocks and receiver box, castle creations sidewinder speed control with a castle creation BEC, a piece of 1/2" square tubing, various sizes of brake tubing and a bunch of misc. pieces of sheet metal and round stock. No crazy big tires or articulation. Using a silverado t-maxx sized 1/10 scale body powered by a 35t integy lathe motor on 2200 mah 3 cell pack all controlled by a spektrum dx-3 controller. We used to meet up every sunday (10 to 20 of us) for a day of playing on the rocks or just out in the woods ripping down the trails. Since purchasing the pioneer it has been stored in my garage up on a shelf not seeing the light of day until today when I took it down to get pics. It was a lot of fun to build and drive and a whole lot cheaper than the pioneer.
Image0
Image2
Image5
Image3
Image4
Image7

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Back up and ripping. Had a T-bone with a losi 1/5 th. Mines still running. Upgrades are starting to pay off
6995D1D7 041E 48AF 83E3 BD7D7D427622
B7DEC2D7 BE5D 42AE A5E0 EECCC34C2B56
31AD0141 E877 44D9 B346 F1624C182C84

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well y’all did it now...

Looked you were having too much fun, so thought I better check it out. Wanted RC cars ever since I was a kid and never broke down and bought one.

I made the drive to the Hobbytown store in Bowling Green, KY yesterday and left with a Traxxas Hoss. Charging batteries now and maybe take it out later if the weather lets up around here. Have to run out and get sone AA batteries.

Sure I’m going to have a billizion questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
What's the difference in chargers, got one LiPo only that charges through the balance lead only w/ amp charge settings, second that charges through main battery connection w/ 4 battery selections and amp settings, then my third charger is a Venom Pro 4 that you connect main battery lead and balance lead to. Got ready to crawl yesterday hooked up the Venom charger to the 2S 5 mHa battery to check battery, during battery check it said over charged, loads up and went to the rock pile, timed it, lasted 5 minutes before losing power to crawl rocks, so I put it on flat ground and just kept doing circles trying to drain the battery, all the sudden, buggy comes to life, put it back in the rocks, crawled for 30 minutes, what happened? What's the difference in charging though balance lead only and charging through main battery and balance leads, two different chargers?
Post a picture of what you have and how you're plugging it in. It sounds like you have the wrong battery type selected on the Venom so take a picture of those settings.

The only charger I've ever owned that charges solely through the balance plug is the little cheapo USB that comes with the SCX24 and the Mini-T.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Post a picture of what you have and how you're plugging it in. It sounds like you have the wrong battery type selected on the Venom so take a picture of those settings.

The only charger I've ever owned that charges solely through the balance plug is the little cheapo USB that comes with the SCX24 and the Mini-T.
IMG 5019
IMG 5020
IMG 5021

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I
That all looks right. Are you getting it in a bind or something on the rocks? I just don't see how you could only be getting 5 minutes out of these unless you aren't fully charging or something in the vehicle is bound up and it's going into a fail safe mode. Is the ESC really hot when you lose power?
Can't find any thing in a bind, I checked steering with servo connected and disconnected, checked gear mesh, fine? What was weird was I checked battery charge before I went out for the 5 minute run and it showed over charge, got 5 minutes out of it and went to poop, I literally ran in in circles in the the flat drive way for 5 minutes trying t drain the battery completely, then it took off, I crawled fo 30 minutes, makes no since to me? I've been charging with the settings in the pictures, since I got the Venom? Whoops, I do get it in some situations, but have learned to back off and gather so MO. Wait a minute, the little ECX I can turn the wheels with no power on, the Losi you can't turn the tires with no power on?

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I

Can't find any thing in a bind, I checked steering with servo connected and disconnected, checked gear mesh, fine? What was weird was I checked battery charge before I went out for the 5 minute run and it showed over charge, got 5 minutes out of it and went to poop, I literally ran in in circles in the the flat drive way for 5 minutes trying t drain the battery completely, then it took off, I crawled fo 30 minutes, makes no since to me? I've been charging with the settings in the pictures, since I got the Venom?
What does it say the voltage is per cell? It should be 4.20 per cell at a full charge. You should be able to see that when charging.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What does it say the voltage is per cell? It should be 4.20 per cell at a full charge. You should be able to see that when charging.
I believe that's it. It's the brake, Im starting to wonder about, the ECX you can turn and has some resistance, the Losi you can't turn with power off?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I believe that's it. It's the brake, Im starting to wonder about, the ECX you can turn and has some resistance, the Losi you can't turn with power off?
Losi Night Crawler down, broke the rear drive shaft, parts are on back order? Did get a 30 minute run though before the failure. The ECX Temper did great, wild little 1/17 crawler , when in doubt gas it in the big rocks, you'll either make it or be on your top! HA! Think I got the battery thing figured out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!