BadMechanic

Sep 25, 2021
New York
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. 500

4. 520
This is one of the reasons I signed up here and am looking at making a purchase. Obviously wont be for this season but my future purchase.

You guys convinced me to look for the P520 so thank you for that.

Now I wanted to ask the people who have used a P500/520 for plowing how they like it? Did the lack of a locker hinder it at all?

A subjective question but also whats your go to plow? I know Im looking at least about $1000+ for the winch/plow setup.

Now my personal driveway isnt terribly big (quite honestly a sxs is an overkill for mine) but I have neighbors I can help plow. Im in the central NY area where we get alot of 2 to 5in. Few times a year we get the big 8 to 12in storms.

Thanks for anything you can share. :)

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The P5 is great for plowing. It's small and can be maneuvered a lot easier than plowing with a truck. I've been running the full KFI setup going on 6 yrs and have only had to replace the rope once. 66" steel blade and the Stealth 3500 winch.

Plowing

CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
I am planning on buying a plow this fall. I am just wondering how to plow a gravel driveway without destroying it?

Reactions: BadMechanic
BadMechanic

BadMechanic

Sep 25, 2021
New York
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. 500

4. 520
Adjust the skid shoes so the blade doesn't scrap so low.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That won't work either unless it's extremely compacted or the ground is frozen, the skids will just dig in. Tore mine up pretty good once is how I know. Just don't drop the blade all the way and go slow.

Reactions: CaboJim and Jerryg
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I haven't yet done this, but the company that used to plow our driveway at the cabin up north (about 600' long gravel) took a steel pipe, cut it the width of the blade and then cut a slit all along the long edge. Then, he pushed the bottom of the plow blade into that slit so that the pipe was horizontal with the bottom of the blade, then he welded the pipe to the blade. This gave the entire edge of the blade a rounded bottom, which glides across the stop of the gravel and dirt without digging it up or pushing all your gravel/stones/dirt when you're pushing the snow. I'm not very good drawing with a computer mouse, but this is pretty much what I'm talking about:

CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
That won't work either unless it's extremely compacted or the ground is frozen, the skids will just dig in. Tore mine up pretty good once is how I know. Just don't drop the blade all the way and go slow.
I saw somewhere a while back someone attached a tie-down strap to the blade and attached it to the cab so that the blade could be adjusted just an inch or so from the ground. Might have to try that.

Reactions: trigger
CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't yet done this, but the company that used to plow our driveway at the cabin up north (about 600' long gravel) took a steel pipe, cut it the width of the blade and then cut a slit all along the long edge. Then, he pushed the bottom of the plow blade into that slit so that the pipe was horizontal with the bottom of the blade, then he welded the pipe to the blade. This gave the entire edge of the blade a rounded bottom, which glides across the stop of the gravel and dirt without digging it up or pushing all your gravel/stones/dirt when you're pushing the snow. I'm not very good drawing with a computer mouse, but this is pretty much what I'm talking about:

View attachment 299282
I like that Idea. I was just thinking and was wondering what If I used a pool noodle....then I realized I am an idiot.

BadMechanic

BadMechanic

Sep 25, 2021
New York
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Looking to buy

3. 500

4. 520
Ive seen a few different variations of blade coverings for gravel driveways. If you want a rabbit hole to go into, search it on youtube.

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!