P1000 Aluma Trailers and E-Track

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems to me that your Aluma dealer (salesmen) is/are misinformed. The Aluma deck is aluminum. I have never heard of welding steel (e-track) to aluminum. If there is aluminum e-track available, it wouldn’t have the strength for tying down a side by side. Bolting the e-track down would work well. Just be careful in your positioning. There are a few places on the bottom of the deck that you can’t get to. Your pioneer has different width tires front and rear and if you just use 2” wide straps, you’ll need to get the straps in the center of the tire. Centers of front tires should be 54” and centers of rear tires 52”. The stock machine is 63” wide. The safest setup would be using the Mac tire baskets then set your E-track centers at 53” front & rear. With this setup, if you decide to change tire widths or rim widths at a later date, the tire basket setup will still work well

You can weld steel to aluminum thru the use of a bimetallic transition bar, not practical for this application, but could be done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Farmer
J

jeffasweet

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2020
Chimacum, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems to me that your Aluma dealer (salesmen) is/are misinformed. The Aluma deck is aluminum. I have never heard of welding steel (e-track) to aluminum. If there is aluminum e-track available, it wouldn’t have the strength for tying down a side by side. Bolting the e-track down would work well. Just be careful in your positioning. There are a few places on the bottom of the deck that you can’t get to. Your pioneer has different width tires front and rear and if you just use 2” wide straps, you’ll need to get the straps in the center of the tire. Centers of front tires should be 54” and centers of rear tires 52”. The stock machine is 63” wide. The safest setup would be using the Mac tire baskets then set your E-track centers at 53” front & rear. With this setup, if you decide to change tire widths or rim widths at a later date, the tire basket setup will still work well

That was my thought on the strength. I see Mac's offers aluminum E-track for their for down system: E/A Track 6061-T6 Aluminum - 8 Feet

I wonder if it has the necessary strength. I also don't know if the dealer welded on steel or aluminum. So many questions and they're a ways away, so doing everything over messenger. My local dealer wants over $6K for the same trailer, oh wait, it's from the future, so the 2023 is really worth the extra money.

Reactions: Farmer
J

jeffasweet

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2020
Chimacum, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was my thought on the strength. I see Mac's offers aluminum E-track for their for down system: E/A Track 6061-T6 Aluminum - 8 Feet

I wonder if it has the necessary strength. I also don't know if the dealer welded on steel or aluminum. So many questions and they're a ways away, so doing everything over messenger. My local dealer wants over $6K for the same trailer, oh wait, it's from the future, so the 2023 is really worth the extra money.

Here's a video on their aluminum track
I think I'll check out the Versa track too

J

jsanders

Dec 24, 2018
usa
Ownership

1. 500
Reviving an old thread. I'm looking at purchasing an Aluma trailer and adding more e-track. The dealer had originally installed it around the outside edges of an Aluma 7712 Tilt, but that is too wide to get them directly under the tires, so I figured I'd install two more strips at the width of the tire centers on the LE/SE model (what I'm likely going to be ordering, anyone have measurements on tire centers?). The dealer said they welded them on, which sounds better to me than having to drill and bolt. Does anyone see issue with this? If not, I'll have them install another set spaced for the P1000 tires. For the Mac tie-downs above, are most folks ordering the Medium size?

Here's the trailer with e-track, there's one running horizontal at the front as well.
View attachment 314071
Here's a video on their aluminum track
I think I'll check out the Versa track too

I am in the process of adding Macs L track to an aluma enclosed trailer.I called Macs a couple times and they were very helpful.I am going to bolt mine down. The track will sit just outside the tires my p 500 but will make it also work to haul 2 motorcycles.I am also using Macs tire nets.Hope that helps

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I like new and expensive stuff. What can I say? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am in the process of adding Macs L track to an aluma enclosed trailer.I called Macs a couple times and they were very helpful.I am going to bolt mine down. The track will sit just outside the tires my p 500 but will make it also work to haul 2 motorcycles.I am also using Macs tire nets.Hope that helps
I had an enclosed 8x20 that was not tall enough to get the 700 inside. I used to haul a Goldwing, Harley and lots of other stuff but I sold it...sold the Goldwing and I have a 5x8 Featherlite to haul bikes. It works great for most stuff to include hogs, sheep, steers, alpaca and I just hauled 3 full size sofas to the dump. It's just not up to hauling the 700. Had to use the Crewcab F250 to haul the big enclosed trailer and it just wasn't any fun anymore. Now I have 2 steel wood deck (7x14 and 8x20) that my midsize pickup and an X car that will haul anything and the little Featherlite is usually behind the CRV...and then there are boat trailers...too many trailers.

J

jeffasweet

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2020
Chimacum, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up getting an Eagle 6.5 x 12 tilt trailer, had them add E-track. Price was $2 Grand less than the aluminum, so for the amount I'll use it, it should be fine. Now to find a Pioneer to buy. Aca88732c5b0a795b9bb45c45ee4116b

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Very nice!! My 8x20 is a tilt and I love it...don't use it that often but have hauled airplanes and all kinds of stuff that make it easier to load with the tilt. Just pull on easy and it's better than ramps once you break the code....slow and easy works.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I ended up getting an Eagle 6.5 x 12 tilt trailer, had them add E-track. Price was $2 Grand less than the aluminum, so for the amount I'll use it, it should be fine. Now to find a Pioneer to buy. View attachment 315638

Nice! I love my aluma but wish it had tilt or at least the fixed ramp. Originally didn't want the fixed ramp because of fuel mileage on road trips but as I get older I could care less. LOL!

advertisement
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nice! I love my aluma but wish it had tilt or at least the fixed ramp. Originally didn't want the fixed ramp because of fuel mileage on road trips but as I get older I could care less. LOL!
Age drives a lot of my decisions and whether I have a male offspring near by.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Perplexing, but male offsprings are usually nowhere to be found when I need a hand.
Agree...my solution is ankle cuffs or two big wire ties...catch em and put them on when they sleep and then I can catch them when they flee. Also keeps them out of my wallet.

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have an Aluma 7814 trailer, I went with the track from Macs Tie Downs, along with wheel bonnets. Bolted through every hole with stainless Nylock nuts. Totally bullet-proof.

View attachment 241074
Just bought the exact same trailer myself for a double deck project to haul a small car on the bottom and my talon on top. What amazes me is it’s payload to weight and negative tongue weight…..👍

Reactions: StewB and Smitty335
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just bought the exact same trailer myself for a double deck project to haul a small car on the bottom and my talon on top. What amazes me is it’s payload to weight and negative tongue weight…..👍
I'll be interested to see the finished product. I have the same idea but unless I stagger the 700 and my little trailer I end up with a 14' high contraption that I need to measure clearance before going thru overhangs. I have a winch to pull the little trailer on an incline that would fold on the 8x20 trailer...ain't gunna work. Looks like a side by side trailer load with the 700 over the axle and itty bitty trailer on the front and get a < 300 lb tongue weight. The 8x20 trailer has a deck height of 28/29 inches so I end up with a 10' overall height for the 700 with roof rack installed.

Inquiring minds want to know...or I'll take a nap.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll be interested to see the finished product. I have the same idea but unless I stagger the 700 and my little trailer I end up with a 14' high contraption that I need to measure clearance before going thru overhangs. I have a winch to pull the little trailer on an incline that would fold on the 8x20 trailer...ain't gunna work. Looks like a side by side trailer load with the 700 over the axle and itty bitty trailer on the front and get a < 300 lb tongue weight. The 8x20 trailer has a deck height of 28/29 inches so I end up with a 10' overall height for the 700 with roof rack installed.

Inquiring minds want to know...or I'll take a nap.
Lol! I’ll be interested in the finished product as well. It looks good on the drawing board, and in my mind. I’ve got my height at about 13’
13’6” is the max for DOT.
All the aluminum has arrived for the basic frame build, still awaiting the 14’ aluminum ramps.

13742B43 E664 410C 8AA3 FA6702BF05A6

Last edited:
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Lol! I’ll be interested in the finished product as well. It looks good on the drawing board, and in my mind. I’ve got my height at about 13’
13’6” is the max for DOT.
All the aluminum has arrived for the basic frame build, still awaiting the 14’ aluminum ramps.

View attachment 315953
13' is fine for the highway...just don't go to Wendy's for a burger and their alleged crispy fries. Nice trailer and nice heavy and easy to TIG alum.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
13' is fine for the highway...just don't go to Wendy's for a burger and their alleged crispy fries. Nice trailer and nice heavy and easy to TIG alum.
The setup is to pull behind the A class, which is already about 13’ so if it clears the drive thru then the custom trailer will be just fine….🤔

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What reminded me to mention this was a Starbucks that they were repairing the nice roof over the pickup window...not sure what hit it.
Btw, are you the expert tig welder???🤞

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!