P500 Am I gonna break this thing?

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks, Just have 5-2 rims, 27 tires, 9 wide in front, 11 in rear, OEM shocks. Skid plate did get a few bumps when there was not other way to go. Follow the leader with a P1000 has its limitations.
What would you say your travel is with the 27" tires? My P500 did something similar (without mud) on Yankee Boy recently and I was holding my breath the whole way. Thanks for the thoughts (that was a P500 in front of you on 26's?)

Reactions: rtn001
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I may have misled you, that was me in the P500 in front, don’t know the actual travel. Never measured, just pick a route and go, hope for the best. That was a 1st and 2nd gear trail. @joeymt33 led going up with his P1000, and then followed me down to get some video of those ruts, For Honda’s entry level SxS, it does pretty good with 2 riders.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If riding fast and hard, think about A arm protectors, maybe upgrade to aftermarket skidplates. A large stick could bust through the plastic floor board and wheel well. Be mindful of ground clearance, especially for any rock crawling or ruts if riding with bigger machines.
I agree with @Mudder, I’ve beat the heck out of one of my a-arm guards at RRB and then Windrock, finally had to pull it off and fix it. I bet it’s saved that arm a few times. Get an upgraded skid plate as well, the stock skids are basically worthless if you leave your yard. The P5 is a tank, a few parts and you’re good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtn001 and Chooglin
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Hello!

I am a new rider and I went out and hit the trails for the first time with some experienced riders. Up to now I've been using it to cruise around my property on fairly flat land. My major concern while following these yahoos was that I would break my brand new 500. I hit a pretty big hole at around 35KM and hour and I felt the shock bottom out. They took me down some paths there were super bumpy. Any video I've seen of these guys are pretty tame, people tend to crawl. I was trying to keep up (not possible) and I ended up slowing down as I was bouncing around like a mad man. I am pretty sore today lol!

Do I need to be worried? Should I take er easy on my new toy?
Resign yourself to the fact that with a P5 you will never keep up but you will get there.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
When i go with my gang (All Can Hams ATV) i ride at my own pace,they are always ahead of me or may ask me to lead if it's slow going and usually wait at the next Way-point...
As for tough, i go where ever they go as long as i don't get my ass wet,Very impress with stock front diff goes anywhere.
I bottom out the front hard more then once at excessive speeds denting my front bumper.I learned to use the brake more offend now regardless what size of bumps and the steering is still tight..
I find if you run it harder (Not Full Pin All the time) it runs better and more fun......
And another trick to comfort while your going over bumpy terrain move your body forward so it's not that hard on the back and against the seat..I bring Seat cushion for comfort also....
20191009 143431

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Hello!

I am a new rider and I went out and hit the trails for the first time with some experienced riders. Up to now I've been using it to cruise around my property on fairly flat land. My major concern while following these yahoos was that I would break my brand new 500. I hit a pretty big hole at around 35KM and hour and I felt the shock bottom out. They took me down some paths there were super bumpy. Any video I've seen of these guys are pretty tame, people tend to crawl. I was trying to keep up (not possible) and I ended up slowing down as I was bouncing around like a mad man. I am pretty sore today lol!

Do I need to be worried? Should I take er easy on my new toy?
My buddy that I ride with has a 1000 Repairis, I keep up with him through the rough stuff with no problem. When we get out on good roads and he wants to go fast he just waits for me at any intersection that will change the road we are on. So far I have been very pleased with the way my P500 has stood up to the rough terrain that I have abused it through.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
When i go with my gang (All Can Hams ATV) i ride at my own pace,they are always ahead of me or may ask me to lead if it's slow going and usually wait at the next Way-point...
As for tough, i go where ever they go as long as i don't get my ass wet,Very impress with stock front diff goes anywhere.
I bottom out the front hard more then once at excessive speeds denting my front bumper.I learned to use the brake more offend now regardless what size of bumps and the steering is still tight..
I find if you run it harder (Not Full Pin All the time) it runs better and more fun......
And another trick to comfort while your going over bumpy terrain move your body forward so it's not that hard on the back and against the seat..I bring Seat cushion for comfort also....View attachment 161522
+1 on leaning forward in the seat when on bumpy trails, it makes a world of difference!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!