P500 Am I gonna break this thing?

Youlookutvish

Youlookutvish

Sep 25, 2019
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Hello!

I am a new rider and I went out and hit the trails for the first time with some experienced riders. Up to now I've been using it to cruise around my property on fairly flat land. My major concern while following these yahoos was that I would break my brand new 500. I hit a pretty big hole at around 35KM and hour and I felt the shock bottom out. They took me down some paths there were super bumpy. Any video I've seen of these guys are pretty tame, people tend to crawl. I was trying to keep up (not possible) and I ended up slowing down as I was bouncing around like a mad man. I am pretty sore today lol!

Do I need to be worried? Should I take er easy on my new toy?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello!

I am a new rider and I went out and hit the trails for the first time with some experienced riders. Up to now I've been using it to cruise around my property on fairly flat land. My major concern while following these yahoos was that I would break my brand new 500. I hit a pretty big hole at around 35KM and hour and I felt the shock bottom out. They took me down some paths there were super bumpy. Any video I've seen of these guys are pretty tame, people tend to crawl. I was trying to keep up (not possible) and I ended up slowing down as I was bouncing around like a mad man. I am pretty sore today lol!

Do I need to be worried? Should I take er easy on my new toy?
There is a couple of reinforcement products out there that are pretty cheap insurance. I will try to find the posts for you. The P500 is a rough ride though. There are definitely some guys on here that run it hard. It seems to take it in stride. I wouldn't try jumping it and I'd use the brakes before the upcoming ditch/rock/root in the trail, but overall I think you're body will let you know when you are exceeding its limits. Shocks, bigger tires and spacers (spacers alone won't, but if you go up in tire size you really should widen the stance) will help smooth things out of course.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
massive jumps probably will but just bottoming out the shocks is almost normal rough riding for these because the lack of suspension travel. i jave the 700 and it took 5 yrs of bottoming out shocks , pulling trucks out of mud holes, and portals and tires and tweaking hard before i ever broke the first thing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Youlookutvish

Youlookutvish

Sep 25, 2019
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks!

I did upgrade to 26" Bighorns on 5:2 offset . I will not worry. I may consider
There is a couple of reinforcement products out there that are pretty cheap insurance. I will try to find the posts for you. The P500 is a rough ride though. There are definitely some guys on here that run it hard. It seems to take it in stride. I wouldn't try jumping it and I'd use the brakes before the upcoming ditch/rock/root in the trail, but overall I think you're body will let you know when you are exceeding its limits. Shocks, bigger tires and spacers (spacers alone won't, but if you go up in tire size you really should widen the stance) will help smooth things out of course.

Hey there! thank you.

I did upgrade to 26" bighorns on 5:2.
9 in front 11 in back

Youlookutvish

Youlookutvish

Sep 25, 2019
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
massive jumps probably will but just bottoming out the shocks is almost normal rough riding for these because the lack of suspension travel. i jave the 700 and it took 5 yrs of bottoming out shocks , pulling trucks out of mud holes, and portals and tires and tweaking hard before i ever broke the first thing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks man! I won't worry as much next time for sure

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
If riding fast and hard, think about A arm protectors, maybe upgrade to aftermarket skidplates. A large stick could bust through the plastic floor board and wheel well. Be mindful of ground clearance, especially for any rock crawling or ruts if riding with bigger machines.

Last edited:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Set your shocks to firmest and ride >!

Reactions: rtn001
Youlookutvish

Youlookutvish

Sep 25, 2019
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Checkout Elka Stage 3 (or higher) shocks.... best mod for smoothing ride along with radial tires. Quicker by 1 to 2 gears.

Wow, those thing look BADASS. This might be my next expensive upgrade. Roof first, maybe a windshield.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Can you point me to a video or something talking about this?

Thanks!
To twist shocks on different settings you could use an inexpensive spanner wrench. Or make it easier to turn with a pipe wrench while the wheel was jacked up off the ground. Found a video by @JsheII3 via shock adjustment search.
P500 - Rear Shock Adjustment 101 Hope it helps

F23A8506 ED3B 471F 83ED C23BC0EB6B4A

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Wow, those thing look BADASS. This might be my next expensive upgrade. Roof first, maybe a windshield.

Yup with winter on the way, roof and windshield are a must at a minimum. If you need to plough snow check out KFI products. Excellent gear, quality made. No question the Elkas Stage 3s are spendy as noted earlier one of the best mods I’ve done to my rig, along with radials, also nice to support a Canadian Co. Now the ride is pillowy controlled, surprised at how much quicker I can travel in all terrain. The other option to look at is dual air shocks on each corner, less expensive, albeit a DIY mod. Mines a work machine so I need reliability.

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Don’t know what terrain you were riding, but a recent bumpy ride where slow and steady was the key riding with a P1000. P500 - P500 at Coalmont, TN
Mudder, what is your tire setup and your useable travel as a result? Some of those ruts and boulders looked like a nightmare for even a full metal skid plate! Well navigated.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks, Just have 5-2 rims, 27 tires, 9 wide in front, 11 in rear, OEM shocks. Skid plate did get a few bumps when there was not other way to go. Follow the leader with a P1000 has its limitations.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!