Amazon Tires?

J

JRH

Feb 21, 2021
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey folks question. I am looking at purchasing maxxis big horn 2 tires for my p700-4. Amazon has a variety of prices for similar size tires? Any ideas as to why (knockoff or something else)? I am making sure load and speed ratings are the same but they still range in cost. I am back n forth on 27-9-14, 27-11-14 or 28-9-14, 28-11-14. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

J

JRH

Feb 21, 2021
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 700-4

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I recommend these if your interested. They are cheaper and are 8 ply versus the 6 ply bighorns.

It’s 2 different prices because it’s for the 9” fronts and the 11” backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey folks question. I am looking at purchasing maxxis big horn 2 tires for my p700-4. Amazon has a variety of prices for similar size tires? Any ideas as to why (knockoff or something else)? I am making sure load and speed ratings are the same but they still range in cost. I am back n forth on 27-9-14, 27-11-14 or 28-9-14, 28-11-14. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The knock offs weigh a good bit more. Could lose a little hp. If that is no concern then probably worth it

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
RE: The "knock offs"

The "bighorn clones" seem to be divided into 2 camps: the p350 versions from in various brands mfg'ed by (I believe) Wanda, and the SunF type which has slightly different tread. They are close to the original Bighorn, while SunF also makes a version more like the 2.0 that seems harder to find. I have no experience with the SunF stuff.

This is my experience this far:

The basic bias P350 proved to be nothing special from a wear or puncture standpoint. In fact, I'd say they aren't as tough as the OEM 700 tire. I've never run the HD versions of the bias, but I am currently running the radial versions, and I'm happy to say they have had no issues (thus far) with flats, and seem to be wearing better. Time will tell, but as of right now, I wouldn't bother with anything but the radial. It has a noticeably stiffer sidewall and higher load rating.

Now, the real question is wear? The bias are half the price of real Bighorns, but don't seem to do half the mileage...or even close, realistically making the savings non-existent. The radials are doing better, but I suspect they won't make the cost/mileage payoff either, so if you want Bighorns, you probably ultimately better off to cough up the coin for the genuine things. That's my plan next time around.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't have them but I know 2 people with Sun F tires. Ones a Can Am commander the other a P1K. They are very heavy but tough as nails and seem to be wearing well on the big machines . I wouldn't put them on a smaller machine due to weight.

Reactions: ChadD and trigger
J

JRH

Feb 21, 2021
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for all the great relies and advice! I guess my main confusion is the difference in price of what "appear" to be the same tire on Amazon? I want to make sure if I order what is supposed to be a Maxxis BH2 that it really is and not some knock off that is being sold as them. I do have spring spacers installed so if I do go with the 28" hopefully it will not be an issue. I do have a Boss Plow system that I run during the winter that adds extra weight, but I could always swap out for stock for plowing.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Thanks for all the great relies and advice! I guess my main confusion is the difference in price of what "appear" to be the same tire on Amazon? I want to make sure if I order what is supposed to be a Maxxis BH2 that it really is and not some knock off that is being sold as them. I do have spring spacers installed so if I do go with the 28" hopefully it will not be an issue. I do have a Boss Plow system that I run during the winter that adds extra weight, but I could always swap out for stock for plowing.
First….There is a Reason the Real BH cost a little more. They are worth it. Second… I’ve seen a Sun F take 40+plugs to get back to camp. And to me the cord felt rotten(old) when putting plugs in them. Discounttireonline.com in AZ is very competitive.WB

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
First….There is a Reason the Real BH cost a little more. They are worth it. Second… I’ve seen a Sun F take 40+plugs to get back to camp. And to me the cord felt rotten(old) when putting plugs in them. Discounttireonline.com in AZ is very competitive.WB
they might have been rotten I don't know if off road tires have a date code but I borrowed a friends trailer that just had new tires put on . got 80 miles down the road and started hopping like a rabbit. checked date code on tires and they were 4 years old at install.

J

JRH

Feb 21, 2021
Upstate NY
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes I know Bighorns are worth their money. I have a set I am currently going to sell that I had on a Can Am I traded in for the 700. They are code stamped with 2009 and have less than 1000 miles on them with most of the tread left and no cracking or checking. I never got stuck with these tires whether it was deep mud or 40"of snow they never let me down. This is why I am buying them for the Honda.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!