CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Following @Lil_Steve 's lead, I just bought a set of STI HD9 wheels for my Talon. He suggested that I chase the beadlock holes before having them mounted so the tire quy wouldn't be tempted to run all 16 bolts per wheel in with a 3/4" impact wrench being fed 175 pounds of air pressure. 🤔 He was right, all 64 holes were full of powder coating and it took quite a bit of torque to clean them out. :oops: Trying to accurately torque to the recommended 15 ft. lbs. would have been impossible (not that I believe anyone is going to torque the 64 bolts). Things that make you go Holy s***!! :eek:

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I used anti-seize compound on the bead lock bolts when putting them back into the threads. I unintentionally stripped a couple of the threads trying to get the 15 ft/lbs torque spec. I found a recommendation of 8-12 ft/lbs of torque when using anti-seize from a different wheel manufacturer that has the same 15 ft/lbs spec for those bolts.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Following @Lil_Steve 's lead, I just bought a set of STI HD9 wheels for my Talon. He suggested that I chase the beadlock holes before having them mounted so the tire quy wouldn't be tempted to run all 16 bolts per wheel in with a 3/4" impact wrench being fed 175 pounds of air pressure. 🤔 He was right, all 64 holes were full of powder coating and it took quite a bit of torque to clean them out. :oops: Trying to accurately torque to the recommended 15 ft. lbs. would have been impossible (not that I believe anyone is going to torque the 64 bolts). Things that make you go Holy s***!! :eek:

I torqued all 128 bolts on my wheels.
In 6 stages per bolt.

It’s just patience required.

Reactions: Backwoods
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I torqued all 128 bolts on my wheels.
In 6 stages per bolt.

It’s just patience required.
This is exactly why I want to set up my replacement Talon (stolen) even though the dealer has offered to do everything. There's no way their tech cares as much about my ride as I do. I'm a craftsman and willing to spend as much time as it takes to do the best work I know how - their tech, working on my Talon - not so much, regardless of his experience level.

Reactions: Udaman and TripleB
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
This is exactly why I want to set up my replacement Talon (stolen) even though the dealer has offered to do everything. There's no way their tech cares as much about my ride as I do. I'm a craftsman and willing to spend as much time as it takes to do the best work I know how - their tech, working on my Talon - not so much, regardless of his experience level.
He gets paid by the Book Hr. You get paid by knowing it was done right to your specs and Happy! Something wrong, it's on you.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yep, I should have said 'I don't see a shop torqueing all 64 bolts', many owners surely will, for the reasons you mentioned.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
They certainly weren't going to chase those threads so that "you" would have an easy time mounting the bead ring. I can almost see the kid brapping them in with an impact gun. :eek:

• Wow
Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!