P1000 Any driving techniques to protect the clutch?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool, what is the secret?

Mine does it even if I stab the throttle pretty good, (well for me anyway) and when I stab the throttle it does jerk you back pretty good.
Im trying to figure out how to explain it. Best I can do is a slow methodical pressing of the accelerator. Not a stab but not lightly applying pressure either. Does that make any sense?

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Im trying to figure out how to explain it. Best I can do is a slow methodical pressing of the accelerator. Not a stab but not lightly applying pressure either. Does that make any sense?

Yep. Sounds exactly like what I do. A constant progressive continuous increase in pressure. Enough that it gets me going pretty quickly but not enough to spin the tires loose. Once I hit the speed I want to be at (around 6 MPH) I stay at that position until I get to a level point where I ease back keeping a fairly steady speed.

I don't get a constant shudder as I go up the hill. It is only a transitory shudder for a second or two before I get up to speed. But it doesn't feel "right".

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
How can you protect the clutch when either starting from a stop on an incline?

I have noticed when crossing ravines and starting up after parking on a hill facing up that I feel what I think is a tiny bit of clutch slippage. It pretty much feels like it used to when starting on a hill with a manual transmission. A little bit shudder and then it is fine.

I can avoid the hill parking problem by making sure that I always park facing downhill but what about crossing ravines?

There is a small ravine on my farm that I cross. I ease up to the edge, drop down with the brake and then ease up the opposite side. The ravine is just slightly longer than the length of the Pioneer so I can't build up speed and it is rocky and steep enough that I can't just zoom down and back up the other side without taking a pretty hard hit.

Do I just need to go around a different way or is there a way to avoid slipping the clutch? Once I realized what was happening, I stopped to hopefully avoid any damage.
Check out the "Shuddering" thread if you haven't already. Seems like yours isn't the only one that's doing this.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe if my wife and I get a weekend off we might swing down that way. (Are you near Smyrna?)
Im about an hour from Smyrna. Smack dab between Nashville and chattanooga

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you comparing your 1000 to past experiences on an atv? Cause I can tell you the Pioneer isn't anywhere near as smooth as my Foreman. I can lift up on footshifter to disengage clutch, rev motor up high, and release the shifter and get a smooth release. It's twice as smooth as the pioneer

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
A mild shudder on take off on a hill is normal and more noticeable in reverse. The clutch is designed to slip on take off and that won't damage anything. Its the prolonged slipping that heats it up too much and causes the damage. I hate the shudder and mine does it more in reverse and probably because I back up slowly. For tough rock crawling I use my P700 so I can inch along and avoid a bounce that would allow the frame to hit.

advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are you comparing your 1000 to past experiences on an atv? Cause I can tell you the Pioneer isn't anywhere near as smooth as my Foreman. I can lift up on footshifter to disengage clutch, rev motor up high, and release the shifter and get a smooth release. It's twice as smooth as the pioneer

Yes. My previous experiences on the same area doing the same things with my 2007 Honda Rincon and my wife's 2009 Honda Recon.

Of course the Rincon has a torque converter so it is completely different but the Recon, although much lighter, was a electric auto clutch. I could stop it on the hill and it didn't shudder. I have actually accidently lugged it several times because I had shifted up into 2nd or 3rd and my forward momentum dropped down so low I started to bog down and I had to stop and downshift.

Neither did what I feel the Pioneer doing.

ETA:

I honestly though didn't really pay that much attention to the Recon though. Other than me ticking my wife off for breaking her ride, it was cheap enough that if I broke it, I could buy another one for what it looks like it would cost to fix the Pioneer.

Last edited:
Reactions: educ8tedguess
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
A mild shudder on take off on a hill is normal and more noticeable in reverse. The clutch is designed to slip on take off and that won't damage anything. Its the prolonged slipping that heats it up too much and causes the damage. I hate the shudder and mine does it more in reverse and probably because I back up slowly. For tough rock crawling I use my P700 so I can inch along and avoid a bounce that would allow the frame to hit.

Damage is all I am worried about. It doesn't bother me that it does it, as long as I am staying within the engineered parameters of use. I just don't want to damage/wear out the clutch or have the problems some other members had earlier where they had to have their clutches replaced.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are around Monteagle you could definitely give that clutch a workout. :eek::D
I don't know of any riding places around monteagle area. Where I ride is full of steep rocky hills that require some crawling. The rougher it is the more I like it lol

Reactions: joeymt33
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Recon has a centrifugal clutch like the Pioneer 500 so its different. When you get a chance compare it to another P1000 and I think they will both shudder about the same. I like my P1000-3 so much I just bought a P1000-5 to haul the grand kids. Got over 3,000 miles on the P1000-3 and its the same as my new P1000-5. I think it needs a lower reverse gear and also a lower low range and expect that will happen in the future. Some dealers install the large tires and that makes the shudder worse. I have 28's on my P1000-3 and no problem but the 30's in extreme conditions will be harder on the clutch but a good driver can avoid clutch damage. Just knowing when to use the winch avoids clutch damage. The shudder will probably piss you off but there will be new models that may be better suited for your use. The belt drives work good but there is so many problems with those brands and most need an all new belt drive every 10,000 miles. The rollers develop flat spots, etc. Check with a Polaris to see what it costs to rebuild the belt drive. Most don't do a rebuild, just replace it. Yamaha has the best belt drive.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Found a few, though, not the best representation.
IMG 20160701 212916226
IMG 20160701 213100123
IMG 20160701 230202361

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The Recon has a centrifugal clutch like the Pioneer 500 so its different. When you get a chance compare it to another P1000 and I think they will both shudder about the same. I like my P1000-3 so much I just bought a P1000-5 to haul the grand kids. Got over 3,000 miles on the P1000-3 and its the same as my new P1000-5. I think it needs a lower reverse gear and also a lower low range and expect that will happen in the future. Some dealers install the large tires and that makes the shudder worse. I have 28's on my P1000-3 and no problem but the 30's in extreme conditions will be harder on the clutch but a good driver can avoid clutch damage. Just knowing when to use the winch avoids clutch damage. The shudder will probably piss you off but there will be new models that may be better suited for your use. The belt drives work good but there is so many problems with those brands and most need an all new belt drive every 10,000 miles. The rollers develop flat spots, etc. Check with a Polaris to see what it costs to rebuild the belt drive. Most don't do a rebuild, just replace it. Yamaha has the best belt drive.

So do you also feel that transitory shudder as you are accelerating on a hill?

I agree with you on the gearing. I wish the Low Range 1st gear was more like the P500.

I would prefer to have something that I didn't have to change anything out at 10,000 miles but especially not the entire DCT. :)

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Found a few, though, not the best representation.

:eek:

See, I would not even try to go up something like that. I would go around or go home.:oops:

So you do that and you don't feel any type of shuddering? Not even a little?

Reactions: joeymt33

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
:eek:

See, I would not even try to go up something like that. I would go around or go home.:oops:

So you do that and you don't feel any type of shuddering? Not even a little?
I probably do feel some "shudder" assuming we are all calling an apple an apple. It's the same feeling you get when you let out the clutch on a Jeep or granny gear - that momentary, instantaneous, rather slight dip in engine RPM when the clutches fully lock up. My Pioneer doesn't shake by any means. Mine does not "shudder" as some describe it as a problem, though. What mine does is what it's supposed to do - but, yes, I can feel the clutches working from 0 - 2.5mph - I just don't hold it there. It's a finesse thing in the rocks. I can keep mine at 2.5 - 3 mph in Low and never get a shudder, let off, readjust tire placement, feather the throttle up to 2.5 - 3mph, sometimes up to 5 or 6mph if RPM's are needed, stop again etc. I am pleased, but I'd be lying if I said being able to creep at 1 mph wouldn't be even better. Once my clutches lock up they are stuck together until i let off and get down below 1-2mph.

Reactions: amc019
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Damage is all I am worried about. It doesn't bother me that it does it, as long as I am staying within the engineered parameters of use. I just don't want to damage/wear out the clutch or have the problems some other members had earlier where they had to have their clutches replaced.

I'll say it again, if that was a design flaw then there would be clutch failures everywhere. Especially mine. I also wish this low range was little bit lower as well as the reverse gear lower.

Anyway, here's a video that was steep enough to require four-wheel-drive and I could start and stop without any problems. I know that is shaky, maybe I should delete this video some time and do another one with a hard mounted GoPro.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!