P1000 Any driving techniques to protect the clutch?

webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
That is what I am worried about.
It seems to me like it's a function of how the machine operates and not an issue otherwise. I own a P500 so I am by no means an expert on this topic but reading what the other P 1000 owners had stated that's what it sounds like to me. having said all that, I wouldn't give up on the P 1000 just yet. At minimum you could run it until the warranty is about up and at that point make your decision whether the machine will work for you or you need to go with something else. Just my thoughts. Best of luck to you.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It seems to me like it's a function of how the machine operates and not an issue otherwise. I own a P500 so I am by no means an expert on this topic but reading what the other P 1000 owners had stated that's what it sounds like to me. having said all that, I wouldn't give up on the P 1000 just yet. At minimum you could run it until the warranty is about up and at that point make your decision whether the machine will work for you or you need to go with something else. Just my thoughts. Best of luck to you.

I have a 5 year warranty so that might take a while. ;)

Reactions: webby
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I will try and borrow a digital camera from work that has a movie function and see if I can show everyone what I think I am seeing.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Take it to bikini bottoms and ride the crap out of it!

I plan on going there, I technically only live a few miles down the road from it but I can't get there without trailering or dodging the law. I also plan on going to Sugar Creek and we ride sometimes around the river trails next to the Mississippi plus an occasional trip up to Turkey Bay.

Are you also in the armpit of the state?

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need seat time and erase everything you know about how 4-wheelers act.

@Hondasxs do us a favor and block @Crow_Hunter from posting for about 2 weeks or after his first service. Then come back on here and let us know how you feel.

Reactions: joeymt33
N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Damage is all I am worried about. It doesn't bother me that it does it, as long as I am staying within the engineered parameters of use. I just don't want to damage/wear out the clutch or have the problems some other members had earlier where they had to have their clutches replaced.
The clutch failure issue had to be a manufacturing defect with earlier models, as we don't here much about this issue anymore. Lot's of people here post about how to protect the clutches, "Don't use high range when on trails, going up hills, or pulling loads, and keep the speed above 3 mph" These all seem like they would be common sense to prolong the life of any clutch, but there are always replies to these posts about people who don't use these methods, and have thousands of miles with no problems using plows, hauling loads, and never using low range. I think if the clutches were that delicate there would be hundreds of clutch issues by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I fully agree with @Nightcrawler. And if you do have a problem bring it in and I'd bet it doesn't happen again. Just hook to your trailer put it in sport low and make a couple passes hard. If it breaks you were right and bring it in if not it'll smooth out:)

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll say it again, if that was a design flaw then there would be clutch failures everywhere. Especially mine. I also wish this low range was little bit lower as well as the reverse gear lower.

Anyway, here's a video that was steep enough to require four-wheel-drive and I could start and stop without any problems. I know that is shaky, maybe I should delete this video some time and do another one with a hard mounted GoPro.

Totally agree. We would both have our rigs in for clutches lol

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Alright here is what I am seeing/hearing/feeling:

By the way this was my first upload to Youtube. It took nearly 30 min per video due to my nearly useless DSL connection. No, I can't upload any longer videos.

Synopsis:

I stopped on the hill. While in Low Range I applied a progressively increasing throttle while simultaneously released the brake.

If I don't do that, I will roll right back down the hill. If I just release the brake and slam the gas, it still judders but it also jerks forward and leaves dig marks in the grass.

I haven't tried roasting the tires though. If that is what is required to keep from damaging the clutch, I will need to get a different machined. One of the big points for me was Turf mode to I don't damage my grass anymore than is necessary. I have enough erosion problems as is.

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
30 minutes! Up load from my phone in about two or three. Of course it's an iPhone 10s. :)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think the only noise I hear is the noise of the gears. After a bit of time and old change to something thicker, those noises will quiet down.

Reactions: sharp
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the only noise I hear is the noise of the gears. After a bit of time and old change to something thicker, those noises will quiet down.

Don't you hear the plastic/bed rattling from the shaking? Especially on the downhill facing video. The mic on the camera could pick it up better.

Watch the shaking and it happens right before the gear noise get loud.

Like someone dragging a plastic pallet across a roller conveyor.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Part of learning the machine is learning how to use both feet on the pedals! It takes time to learn it, after that it becomes second nature. Same with when to use the paddle shifters.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I guess I can't hear it or see what you're talking about. One thing to keep in mind is this transmission is similar to a manual transmission in a pick up truck or sports car. Have you ever driven a manual transmission vehicle and left a vehicle in fourth gear and slow down to a stop sign and forgot to push the clutch in? You'll notice the vehicle start shaking as the engine is lugging at a lower rpm. I believe that's what the pioneer does. When the clutch engages at 2 miles an hour the engine is lugging it does vibrate a little bit. On my vehicle, that also seem to be greatly reduced as the vehicle got broke in.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I guess I can't hear it or see what you're talking about. One thing to keep in mind is this transmission is similar to a manual transmission in a pick up truck or sports car. Have you ever driven a manual transmission vehicle and left a vehicle in fourth gear and slow down to a stop sign and forgot to push the clutch in? You'll notice the vehicle start shaking as the engine is lugging at a lower rpm. I believe that's what the pioneer does. When the clutch engages at 2 miles an hour the engine is lugging it does vibrate a little bit. On my vehicle, that also seem to be greatly reduced as the vehicle got broke in.

It is really only noticeable in the first 3 or so seconds of the video when I first start out. If you watch the edge of the bed you can see it vibrating pretty significantly.

Yes, it is very similar to lugging a manual. Almost exactly like feathering a clutch if you have had to stop on a hill where you have to have 3 feet all working at the same time to keep from rolling back on the people behind you.

I just got back from doing more experiments. It does it even if you really punch the gas. I gave it enough throttle that it actually shifted into 2nd gear in less than a vehicle length and lifted the front tires and scared my wife to death. The difference was that it took less time to stop vibrating and the vibration was harder. My wife in it with me this time and she said it was very noticeable and recommends that we take it back to the dealer or at least send them the videos.

I told her that I was trying to figure out if this is normal or not before I did.

If this is how it is designed to work and I am not damaging the clutch, it doesn't bother me. If I am damaging the clutch every time I have to stop on a hill, I am going to have to get something else because I have nothing but hills where I live.

So does everything think this is normal and I won't be replacing clutch plates at 500 miles?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It is really only noticeable in the first 3 or so seconds of the video when I first start out. If you watch the edge of the bed you can see it vibrating pretty significantly.

Yes, it is very similar to lugging a manual. Almost exactly like feathering a clutch if you have had to stop on a hill where you have to have 3 feet all working at the same time to keep from rolling back on the people behind you.

I just got back from doing more experiments. It does it even if you really punch the gas. I gave it enough throttle that it actually shifted into 2nd gear in less than a vehicle length and lifted the front tires and scared my wife to death. The difference was that it took less time to stop vibrating and the vibration was harder. My wife in it with me this time and she said it was very noticeable and recommends that we take it back to the dealer or at least send them the videos.

I told her that I was trying to figure out if this is normal or not before I did.

If this is how it is designed to work and I am not damaging the clutch, it doesn't bother me. If I am damaging the clutch every time I have to stop on a hill, I am going to have to get something else because I have nothing but hills where I live.

So does everything think this is normal and I won't be replacing clutch plates at 500 miles?

How far you from Paducah Kentucky? I may need to come take a test drive before I drive home.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Part of learning the machine is learning how to use both feet on the pedals! It takes time to learn it, after that it becomes second nature. Same with when to use the paddle shifters.

I always use both feet on the pedals on a hill. I learned to do that many years ago on a 1970 SS Chevelle 396 with a 4 speed and manual brakes, steering and even air conditioning.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan on going there, I technically only live a few miles down the road from it but I can't get there without trailering or dodging the law. I also plan on going to Sugar Creek and we ride sometimes around the river trails next to the Mississippi plus an occasional trip up to Turkey Bay.

Are you also in the armpit of the state?
I'm about 2 hrs east of Dyersburg down i40

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!