BOX1

Any interest in a Talon under seat sealed storage box?

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
might consider an additional size including some seat riser for driver seat and a bigger box. I raised my seat 2" and I store my Camera below seat in Water / dust proof bag with foam laid under it. Won't be for everyone, but I raised seat so wife could see to drive & the option appeared

Reactions: IDIOT and Isaiah
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
might consider an additional size including some seat riser for driver seat and a bigger box. I raised my seat 2" and I store my Camera below seat in Water / dust proof bag with foam laid under it. Won't be for everyone, but I raised seat so wife could see to drive & the option appeared

Very early into the designs I considered building a seat riser into the box to have an anchor to mount the box to and increase capacity. The X4 driver side has twice the storage as the X2.

My wife would probably LOVE a seat riser!

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Very early into the designs I considered building a seat riser into the box to have an anchor to mount the box to and increase capacity. The X4 driver side has twice the storage as the X2.

My wife would probably LOVE a seat riser!
@Lil_Steve here's an idea you could look into. :cool:

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Quote is back from fab so I need some input from the crowd here.

Pics first:

Model of box for X2 driver seat
32D76446 B7D9 418F 9B5E 3A89364F17D7

0BE68BAA 695F 40A0 894E B35FBF0E6251

mock-up installed on 4 seater. Very similar to the X2 box but I had a better pic of X4

BC4993EE F28D 483F 9F5A C5BEB8A7A6D0

Specifics:

On the X2 driver seat The box uses all of the space directly under the seat. There is an opening for a 4” plastic screw in boat hatch, size set by the space between seat braces. It sounds small but you can get your hand in and reach all 4 corners. There are no off the shelf hatches to fit this application so in order to increase the opening width across the seat I’ll have to design and fab an application specific hatch. The round hatch is simple, waterproof and low profile without hinges or mechanical latches, which I do like.

This would be 1/8” aluminum construction, powder coated inside and out. Corner seams welded. Bottom screwed on with a gasket seal to allow inside powder coating and if customers want to line with foam they can.

Completely fabricated and assembled in Louisiana.

Retail price : $190 plus shipping 63CD5AAA 7948 4FE1 BAFA 6AE7797EA131

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'm unsure if I should proceed developing this product or shelf it. Fab will continue quoting the larger X4 passenger seat storage for me. It's a similar design but much larger. That price will help me decide if I should continue with only the X4 box, which I think has the most marketable capacity at 21 qt. with the same 4" top opening due to seat frame. Product development is new territory for me and I do not have a huge budget to produce these boxes.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Lil_Steve here's an idea you could look into. :cool:

If I go any higher than the 1" raised seats and the double memory foam cushions I'm using I'm either going to hit my helmet on the roof or I won't be able to reach the pedals! 😁

• Wow
Reactions: Isaiah and CID
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Building a prototype next week to check fit and function while I continue on X4 passenger side design.

the rubber gasket for the bolted bottom will cover the entire inside bottom to reduce rattling. That’ kinda cool.
What are you planning for fasteners to hold the bottom on? Machine screws and nuts, or sheet metal screws, or ??? Either way, I guess there will be some of the fastener protruding inside the box?

The price is a little more than I had hoped, considering the volume of the box. I understand that small fabrication runs are expensive. The shop needs to make a profit, as do you. I have an aluminum welding project in a shop right now, and I was shocked at their quote. :eek: But I was already in too deep to change anything.

Thanks for your work on this!

Reactions: CID and Isaiah
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
When I talked to fab shop today the screws will thread into the aluminum fold from what are the sides. The screws will be flush with the inside. They will tap the aluminum. That’s the plan as of now. Everything is subject to change once a real prototype is in my hands

they are going to quote me the larger x4 passenger box to compare. The labor will be about the same, more material for the larger box but it may end up a better deal $ per volume.

I’m not very happy about the $ per volume for the small X2 box but not much I can do right now.

I’m sure some other companies have already seen My drawings posted here and are now thinking about this. if they are large enough and plastic mold costs are not a problem then they will develop their own plastic versions.

I’ve always wanted to design and build things like this since I was a kid. That’s one reason I got into the drafting business. I feel like my time has finally come and I want to make the best of it. Having a high quantity fab shop with all kinds of cnc machines only a few miles from me is a blessing. They don’t mind working with me even though they also make some well known ATV racks.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the X2 how about just a waterproof under seat storage bag. Velcro attached to the floor. Highpocket I think a fabricated box would loose out on taking advantage of absolutely all of the space potential which is critical. Id be first in line for a waterproof zippered bag under seat, something slightly bigger than the under seat area that when the seat cushion is pulled the top can be pulled up above the seat rails and unzipped to maximize the reach in opening for easier access

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
For the X2 how about just a waterproof under seat storage bag. Velcro attached to the floor. Highpocket I think a fabricated box would loose out on taking advantage of absolutely all of the space potential which is critical. Id be first in line for a waterproof zippered bag under seat, something slightly bigger than the under seat area that when the seat cushion is pulled the top can be pulled up above the seat rails and unzipped to maximize the reach in opening for easier access

That sounds interesting. I know what you're saying though. A waterproof roll top dry bag may work well but it would have to be a short, squatty bag to fit the space and open on top. My personal experience with any bags on sxs is that they get filthy, then you have to remove and empty them to clean. Those were not waterproof of course.

I'm having a small box for X2 driver seat built this week to test and possibly make a few to sell in the near future. I'll never know what will happen until I put them on the market. This box does fill the space very well, except for the small amount of space under the seat rail mounts. Installation of this box would be easy by removing 4 nuts that bolt seat frame to slider, and adding a couple plastic rivets into newly drilled holes to stabilize. I'm continuing to research wider lid options in the mean time.

Looking at the X4 passenger box mock-up this weekend, I think a 6" round opening is possible. That would be as big as I can go. This box would be about L14" x W12" x D8" toward the front, D6" toward the back. A good size box. Now, the plastic under the seat cushion would require trimming to access. The entire under seat area is enclosed with plastic so something has to get cut for access. I would provide a template to make a nice cut in the correct location.

L

LincolnSixAlpha

Feb 3, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
How about a box that can be slid in under the seat vs removal of the seat, and rather than a hole in the top for access, what about a little door in the front that simply drops open? I'm thinking of it more like a lockable storage option, perhaps water-resistant/proof if possible.

Reactions: Isaiah
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Quote is back from fab so I need some input from the crowd here.

Pics first:

Model of box for X2 driver seat
View attachment 251483

View attachment 251486

mock-up installed on 4 seater. Very similar to the X2 box but I had a better pic of X4

View attachment 251484

Specifics:

On the X2 driver seat The box uses all of the space directly under the seat. There is an opening for a 4” plastic screw in boat hatch, size set by the space between seat braces. It sounds small but you can get your hand in and reach all 4 corners. There are no off the shelf hatches to fit this application so in order to increase the opening width across the seat I’ll have to design and fab an application specific hatch. The round hatch is simple, waterproof and low profile without hinges or mechanical latches, which I do like.

This would be 1/8” aluminum construction, powder coated inside and out. Corner seams welded. Bottom screwed on with a gasket seal to allow inside powder coating and if customers want to line with foam they can.

Completely fabricated and assembled in Louisiana.

Retail price : $190 plus shipping View attachment 251485
A couple thoughts.

1/16” (.063) aluminum is plenty strong enough.

Riveting on the bottom and 2 sides with tabs inside (all in one piece) will eliminate welding.

Skip the neoprene gasket and use basic polyurethane sealant for the seams.

Should halve the price.........

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Essentially 2 parts.

One complex
One simple.
14B1B35B 51E1 4DAD BC0F 7CDC5894DAD7

Drawn in flat with bend lines.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
In the mean time I’ve been working on this also.
FD56506F C22B 4150 9ADE D3AD13D7E130

An expedition box for the rear seat. It will bolt into the same locations as the seat after the seat is removed. Polaris actually boxes similar to this for RZR. It’s for those guys that haul a bunch of camping gear. It will have at least a 9.5x12.5 sealed rectangle hatch opening. This box is large! No fab quote on it yet.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!