Any interest in a Talon under seat sealed storage box?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Give me some feedback on the interest in an driver side under seat storage box for Talon, probably aluminum construction, powder coated, with a water proof closing lid.
I worked out a mockup this weekend and now checking with my fab shop on feasibility of fabrication. What I have so far seems simple enough but would be fully sealed and accessible under the seat cushion utilizing all the space directly under the seat cushion.
From my research this product is not available anywhere, but seems like it would be useful, especially when sealed from mud and water.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You make it, 'they' will come. The Talon guys (myself) are ready and the aftermarket is relatively sparse. This sounds like a good place for emergency gear like first aid kit, fire starters.

For anyone using 'boxed' storage, if it isn't full, stuff it with towels or everything in it will beat itself to death. If it can move it will 'jiggle' itself to pieces. I had a buddy who carried a small container full of spare bolts and screws, when he needed one, the threads were unusable.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Give me some feedback on the interest in an driver side under seat storage box for Talon, probably aluminum construction, powder coated, with a water proof closing lid.
I worked out a mockup this weekend and now checking with my fab shop on feasibility of fabrication. What I have so far seems simple enough but would be fully sealed and accessible under the seat cushion utilizing all the space directly under the seat cushion.
From my research this product is not available anywhere, but seems like it would be useful, especially when sealed from mud and water.
Very interested.
Also should be usable on the passenger side of the X4 with some plastic cutting. 😁

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I am very interested! I posted a thread a short time ago about using this space. So far, I have just laid a folded up tarp in there.

Tom

Reactions: IDIOT and Isaiah
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Talked with my fab shop today. They will have something drawn up next week and figure out best way to manufacture the box and an estimate. I'm not as good with Autodesk Fusion for sheetmetal as I am with Autocad so I'll let them handle it. Those are two very different animals! I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress. In the mean time I'll attempt to borrow a P1000 this week to work on a shifter plate for that.

I'm excited about this box! Sounds like it will meet a need of owners and is something many people are interested in, at least on this forum.

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Dropped my box mock-up at fab today. They seem to think it’s not a difficult build. That’s encouraging. Also found a person near me with an X4 that will allow me to take measurements for passenger seat storage box. I’m happy. I have a lot going on besides my normal job!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Glad to hear this gig is working out for you! :cool:

Good deal on getting your hands on an X4. An under passenger seat storage compartment is going to sell well. Honda really dropped the ball leaving that space unoccupied on the 4 seaters. Good luck with this!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
X4 driver seat storage mocked up today. It looks really good. About twice as much storage as X2.

Working on X4 passenger seat now. Lot of empty space under seat but access will be limited. This will also require cutting plastics under seat cushion to access the box.

B

BuckStar

Dec 31, 2020
California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I own a 2021 x4 and the passenger seat area needs to be cut to create a storage space. I currently have my compressor, tow rope, plug kit, and some various tools all under the driver seat, but hope to relocate after a TSC storage box build. I would be interested for something a little more sturdy than just the plastics.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The current plan is to fab from 14 or 16 gauge steel, powder coated and water proof with a sealed access hatch. That’s what I would want so that’s what I’m building. I’ll have 3 boxes if all goes well. X2 Driver side, and X4 driver and passenger. Then I have to verify that the X2 driver will fit R2 driver. X4 driver and X2 driver will be built first so I can get that out while I finish X4 passenger. This one is a little tougher!!

Last edited:
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Count me in. Love your shift plate, I'd buy the box.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Fab shop provided a cad model for the X2 under seat storage yesterday. I like working with these guys because they respond quickly. They will be providing a production cost soon so that I can figure out a retail price. I'm also going to provide volume in quarts since everyone is used to that unit as reference from ice chests as well as overall dimensions.

Model looks great! They provided helpful fab experience into the design I gave them. They recommend to build from 1/8" aluminum, constructed so that the inside and outside can be powder coated and minimizing welds. The box will be weather proof but not designed for submarine service!! You'll have a nice clean, dry space to store small items in addition to the glove box. The seat frame limits the opening size but I'm trying to make the best of the parameters.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Fab shop provided a cad model for the X2 under seat storage yesterday. I like working with these guys because they respond quickly. They will be providing a production cost soon so that I can figure out a retail price. I'm also going to provide volume in quarts since everyone is used to that unit as reference from ice chests as well as overall dimensions.

Model looks great! They provided helpful fab experience into the design I gave them. They recommend to build from 1/8" aluminum, constructed so that the inside and outside can be powder coated and minimizing welds. The box will be weather proof but not designed for submarine service!! You'll have a nice clean, dry space to store small items in addition to the glove box. The seat frame limits the opening size but I'm trying to make the best of the parameters.
Sounds good. Looking forward to a drawing and a price. Thanks!

Reactions: Isaiah
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Storage box for X2 driver seat is about 6.4 qt or 372 cu in. I'll have drawings and prices soon.
Hopefully one long dimension is up to holding a quart oil or coolant bottle. 😁

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!