Any interest in a Talon under seat sealed storage box?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
What’s the progress on this?
Larger 6" hatches are ordered. I'll have to wait on those since no hatch drawings were provided to begin work ahead of arrival.
I've communicated to the shop that we need to reduce the cost to build these. I have requested that we go to 1/16" aluminum, weld the bottom elimating the drilling, tapping, bolting and gasket. I've not received a cost estimate yet for these changes. If this works to reduce the cost then I'm certain the X4 driver seat will be of similar fabrication. My goal is to reduce the build cost of these relatively small boxes to make them more appealing to customers but still be good quality. We are at least a couple weeks out on revised builds for the X2 box. Once I get these two boxes figured out and able to be produced, then I'll focus on the X4 passenger seat and rear seat storage.

If I had the tools to do it, I'd at least build prototypes myself to speed up the process, then get the shop to make production runs. However at this point, I'm better off providing the 3d cad models to the shop so they understand what I want. I know how to do that! If sales pan out, then I'll invest in production equipment of my own.

With a regular job and my little company, I have my plate full trying to get new items out! Still waiting on the finalized P1000 shifter plate maybe this week. I have customers waiting for those too! That's a good thing but I'll be glad when I can start checking things off the design list and moving them into production for sales. I love doing this type of design work! Much more interesting and involved than my day job.

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
For the X2 how about just a waterproof under seat storage bag. Velcro attached to the floor. Highpocket I think a fabricated box would loose out on taking advantage of absolutely all of the space potential which is critical. Id be first in line for a waterproof zippered bag under seat, something slightly bigger than the under seat area that when the seat cushion is pulled the top can be pulled up above the seat rails and unzipped to maximize the reach in opening for easier access
Your suggestion has been noted. I've been communicating with an Asian manufacturer that makes PVC motorcycle bags, dry bags and dry bag backpacks. They actually already have a bicycle seat bag that is similar to what I want, only smaller. Communication is not easy but I think they are coming around. They will work with me on smaller production runs too. Their bags I've seen look very good! I'm not a huge fan of bags after having rzr bags because they got filthy every ride. I'd have to remove them to wash and remove everything out of the bag. These PVC bags are made for the weather and should work better as an economical option to the aluminum box. I'd only use these for the smaller area under the X2 and X4 driver seat.

In the meantime I've been studying ways to simplify the aluminum box design for fabrication and lower prices. Tomorrow I meet with the shop to discuss my ideas. Hopefully we can move this forward quickly and have a few items available before riding season really kicks into high gear.

Last edited:
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your suggestion has been noted. I've been communicating with an Asian manufacturer that makes PVC motorcycle bags, dry bags and dry bag backpacks. They actually already have a bicycle seat bag that is similar to what I want, only smaller. Communication is not easy but I think they are coming around. They will work with me on smaller production runs too. Their bags I've seen look very good! I'm not a huge fan of bags after having rzr bags because they got filthy every ride. I'd have to remove them to wash and remove everything out of the bag. These PVC bags are made for the weather and should work better as an economical option to the aluminum box. I'd only use these for the smaller area under the X2 and X4 driver seat.

In the meantime I've been studying ways to simplify the aluminum box design for fabrication and lower prices. Tomorrow I meet with the shop to discuss my ideas. Hopefully we can move this forward quickly and have a few items available before riding season really kicks into high gear.
Highpocket that's great to here. With the PVC coated bag there will be no need to clean the inside of the bag after each ride. In fact since they are waterproof they can be washed with the rest of the machine without unloading and removal every time.
I hope this works out for you down the road. If you need a tester you have my contact info. Good luck buddy!

Adam_20_Adam

Adam_20_Adam

Aug 25, 2019
Western Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Give me some feedback on the interest in an driver side under seat storage box for Talon, probably aluminum construction, powder coated, with a water proof closing lid.
I worked out a mockup this weekend and now checking with my fab shop on feasibility of fabrication. What I have so far seems simple enough but would be fully sealed and accessible under the seat cushion utilizing all the space directly under the seat cushion.
From my research this product is not available anywhere, but seems like it would be useful, especially when sealed from mud and water.
I have an x-4 live valve. I would be interested in virtually any storage box available especially if it's water proof and lockable. Please post pricing and availability when you have it.
Thanks
Adam

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Highpocket that's great to here. With the PVC coated bag there will be no need to clean the inside of the bag after each ride. In fact since they are waterproof they can be washed with the rest of the machine without unloading and removal every time.
I hope this works out for you down the road. If you need a tester you have my contact info. Good luck buddy!
Highpocket if your still interested in doing a lockable aluminum box. There is a space underneath the hood that is pretty big that would be a prime spot. EMP makes a second battery compartment that sits in there and is fairly good sized. Easy design and build due to the size of the area. Just a thought.

viceversa

viceversa

Jun 5, 2019
Flagstaff, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the under hood emp box and love it. Have you thought about contacting them about making a one piece plastic version of this under seat box?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Plastic would be great except the upfront mold cost is ridiculously expensive. Estimates have been $10k for a mold that will make 55,000 parts for cheap. That’s WAY BEYOND my budget at this point.

And I’m having a hell of a time communicating to the Chinese manufacturers what I want, even after sending drawings. Frustrating. I’d like to use US manufacturing but they want 500 minimum order.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

Here’s a pvc coated bag that goes in a plastic space on snowmobiles.

4689ABB7 E3FD 4777 9C89 AD547CB83E68
B34D95D2 9E27 4E8E 9D40 2DD769432267

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plastic would be great except the upfront mold cost is ridiculously expensive. Estimates have been $10k for a mold that will make 55,000 parts for cheap. That’s WAY BEYOND my budget at this point.

And I’m having a hell of a time communicating to the Chinese manufacturers what I want, even after sending drawings. Frustrating. I’d like to use US manufacturing but they want 500 minimum order.
Are there interpreters available for hire to help bridge the language gap. Someone who works by the hour. Do you have a college near you? Maybe some foreign student would like to make a little cash

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
It’s not like they don’t understand English. It’s more like they don’t quite understand what I want and i thought it was clear. Plus the messages went a full circle from they didn’t understand so I sent drawings, then they understood and then somehow back to they didn’t understand. I tried to explain with a picture of something they already make. I asked them to make the same basic bag to my dimensions and then I lost them. I’ll keep trying because they make some very nice waterproof motorcycle bags.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Talked to the shop about changes to the 2 seater box. They understand what I want no problem. Although I can see delays coming because they are so busy and I’m a small fry in their system. So this may drive purchasing some of my own fab equipment to get things out. Right now I could keep up with sales but I don’t know how long that would be possible. Mainly I need quicker prototyping. Once I have everything figured out like I want then I can send the cad files to the shop and they can run with it. Plus I get cool toys!! Then the possibilities truly become endless.

Reactions: Tramguage1 and CID
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Are there interpreters available for hire to help bridge the language gap. Someone who works by the hour. Do you have a college near you? Maybe some foreign student would like to make a little cash

^^^^^
This is key because word sequencing and grammar can completely change from English (primary language) to mandarin. (Primary language)

Could be most of the confusion.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I think I got the Chinese straight this morning. I’m holding off for my business tax refund hopefully. Once I get that I’ll invest it into equipment I need.

My 6” hatches arrived today so I can take to the shop for them to use. I like them. Huge opening for access if it works out!! The lever allows for quick opening too.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
In my shop this evening with X4 working on passenger side box. Checking the 6” hatch to see how to cut plastic and how much to cut. I can make my box larger now with this hatch! So now I’m rethinking the original mock-up I made to increase capacity.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
With the larger 6” hatch this is how much plastic would need to be cut. This would allow full access to the opening also.
26B97884 E10B 445D B2A9 56581DBCBF0F

view from above shows access with seat cushion removed. Would anyone have heartburn cutting plastic? The cut would be easy to make. There is absolutely no way to access any of this space without cutting plastic somewhere.

7ED27C8A 19BD 465C 9B50 6E496CC9D79A

• Love
Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Sure wish there could be a rectangular opening on top. The 4” round limits what can be stored. I keep my binoculars down there that won’t fit in that hole.
This one is for you monte...
X4 box with 6” hatch
F17C854C 9044 4048 A631 0DC64BBE013A

not sure if the binoculars will fit into the X2 box because of shallow depth. Should fit into the X4 driver side box.

• Love
Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!