P1000 Any interest in an improved P1000 shifter plate?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Give some feedback if you P1000 owners would be interested in a shifter plate similar to the one I've designed for Talon.

The overall design would be similar to my Talon plate, with the exception of the park location. Looking at pics of the P1000 shifter subframe I believe I can make this design work within the available space. Of course since the 4X4 shifter is included on the same plate, I'd have to improve that design also.

IMG 6706

Benefits of this plate as described for my Talon plate:

Features and Benefits (Talon):
  • Designed and manufactured in the USA, first and foremost!!
  • Precision CNC laser cut from ¼” 5052 aluminum for perfect fit and function
  • Straight back shift into Low rather than awkward OEM hook motion
  • Quicker, no look Reverse-High shifts with right side channel and stops
  • Lever notches prevent accidental bump shifts and transmission damage
  • Narrow shift channels improve shift accuracy and reduced heat intrusion with 5% less open area than OEM.
  • Durable textured powder coat finish
  • Rigid aluminum improves shift feel over OEM plastic
  • Uses OEM mounting location and hardware
  • Easy 15 minute bolt-on install with 10mm socket and small punch to release plastic rivets (Talon specific)
I don't find any other companies offereing an improved shifter plate for the P1000. If there is enough interest from you guys then I'll design one that will make P1000 shifting much better than the stock shifter plate. My Talon plate works very well from feedback that I have received.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Frankly to be honest I don’t see the value...wind draft is the biggest issue with the shifter and that’s an easy fix.

on the trail, for me, I’m not swapping H and L very often. the shifting happens with the paddles.

The things you mentioned as benefits don’t happen in a P1k5 ( at least not to me) on the trail.

I wouldn’t be a buyer, especially at the price you’d need to cover your expenses.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Give some feedback if you P1000 owners would be interested in a shifter plate similar to the one I've designed for Talon.

The overall design would be similar to my Talon plate, with the exception of the park location. Looking at pics of the P1000 shifter subframe I believe I can make this design work within the available space. Of course since the 4X4 shifter is included on the same plate, I'd have to improve that design also.

View attachment 232408

Benefits of this plate as described for my Talon plate:

Features and Benefits (Talon):
  • Designed and manufactured in the USA, first and foremost!!
  • Precision CNC laser cut from ¼” 5052 aluminum for perfect fit and function
  • Straight back shift into Low rather than awkward OEM hook motion
  • Quicker, no look Reverse-High shifts with right side channel and stops
  • Lever notches prevent accidental bump shifts and transmission damage
  • Narrow shift channels improve shift accuracy and reduced heat intrusion with 5% less open area than OEM.
  • Durable textured powder coat finish
  • Rigid aluminum improves shift feel over OEM plastic
  • Uses OEM mounting location and hardware
  • Easy 15 minute bolt-on install with 10mm socket and small punch to release plastic rivets (Talon specific)
I don't find any other companies offereing an improved shifter plate for the P1000. If there is enough interest from you guys then I'll design one that will make P1000 shifting much better than the stock shifter plate. My Talon plate works very well from feedback that I have received.

I would be interested in one! I been looking and I couldn't find anything for the pioneer at all

Reactions: Mopower58
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Frankly to be honest I don’t see the value...wind draft is the biggest issue with the shifter and that’s an easy fix.

on the trail, for me, I’m not swapping H and L very often. the shifting happens with the paddles.

The things you mentioned as benefits don’t happen in a P1k5 ( at least not to me) on the trail.

I wouldn’t be a buyer, especially at the price you’d need to cover your expenses.

That's OK. This is the kind of input I need to find out if it's worth the trouble.

I do want to point out though that my shifter plate is not necessarily designed for quicker H to L shifts but rather MUCH quicker H to R shifts, and the shift can be done without having to look at the shifter. On the P1000 the shifter is more in your forward view on the dash, but often you are trying to navigate obstacles and looking elsewhere. I had this problem on my Talon because the OEM plastic plate almost forces you to look at where the shifter is and it's NOT in your forward field of view. With the right side stops on my shifter plate it's a no look shift and you know you're in H or R.

I'm trying to define gaps in accessory options for these Hondas, starting small and working my way up while offering something different than what's out there that solves a problem.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's OK. This is the kind of input I need to find out if it's worth the trouble.

I do want to point out though that my shifter plate is not necessarily designed for quicker H to L shifts but rather MUCH quicker H to R shifts, and the shift can be done without having to look at the shifter. On the P1000 the shifter is more in your forward view on the dash, but often you are trying to navigate obstacles and looking elsewhere. I had this problem on my Talon because the OEM plastic plate almost forces you to look at where the shifter is and it's NOT in your forward field of view. With the right side stops on my shifter plate it's a no look shift and you know you're in H or R.

I'm trying to define gaps in accessory options for these Hondas, starting small and working my way up while offering something different than what's out there that solves a problem.
If I'm in a situation where I'm going foward to reverse, 99% of the time I would be in low anyways. The only few times that I've had the grind, is going from reverse to low. I was doing it quickly and not looking at the dash and everytime I had the ( - ) on my display. When I give it gas to go forward it would grind and get my attention. I just try and make sure I don't have the dash showing before I give it gas now.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
If I'm in a situation where I'm going foward to reverse, 99% of the time I would be in low anyways. The only few times that I've had the grind, is going from reverse to low. I was doing it quickly and not looking at the dash and everytime I had the ( - ) on my display. When I give it gas to go forward it would grind and get my attention. I just try and make sure I don't have the dash showing before I give it gas now.

So in your opinion, a direct R to L would be more useful?

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd be interested in an improved shift gate. The drive mode selctor is fine, but the gear shifter requires me to almost always look to see where it is. I like your design--direct reverse to high.

But this is no 15 minute install. Looks like we'd have to remove the front fender, side panels, mudbusters (on mine), shifter knobs, instrument panel and a bunch of switch wiring and connectors for the install. If true it would likely be a non-starter for 99% of the bubbas insterested in an improved shifter gate pattern.

Honda Pioneer 1000 Shifter PlateInstrument panel removalFront Fender Removal

Reactions: wrhii and Isaiah
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV

Reverse?!

Next you’ll be saying that Brakes word!

lol couldn’t resist!

advertisement
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
May not be worth the time but I have a good start with the talon plate. And a local machine I can use for measurements. You just never know until you try. Autocad is something I’m pretty good with so I’ll probably give it try. No big loss if it’s not a record setter. Doesn’t hurt to make a bunch of drawings to get to what I want. I do that everyday at work!

I didn’t think the talon low delete plate would sell to many racers, and it may not, but a few rental companies have bought into it, to my surprise, after having rental transmissions trashed. That’s a market I didn’t even consider.

Thanks for the input to everyone. It is most appreciated!

X

XCAT

Sep 23, 2020
Belgrave
Ownership

1. Big Red
i would rather someone work out how we can make unit a constant 4wd, so i can have 4wd without the rear diff locked. ( ie in tuff mode with front diff driving )

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!