Anybody hit the Alpine Loop lately?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We are thinking about making a last minute trip to Silverton CO at the end of August. I was just curious if there were any closures on the alpine loop area and/or general conditions. Any impacts of the fire on the 550 heading N out of Durango? This will be our 3rd trip so we are pretty familiar with the major trails. Thanks in advance.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Pilgrim would be the likely one to know that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We are thinking about making a last minute trip to Silverton CO at the end of August. I was just curious if there were any closures on the alpine loop area and/or general conditions. Any impacts of the fire on the 550 heading N out of Durango? This will be our 3rd trip so we are pretty familiar with the major trails. Thanks in advance.
Great time of year for it, will you do any camping along the trail? Enjoy!!

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My wife and I will be there Aug 27 - Sept 2. The closures I have heard about are South of the alpine loop. Let me know when you will be there maybe we can ride some if your there in the same timeframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am in Gunnison as I write..... going to lake city Monday and planning on riding area for two or three days...
I will answer any questions I know anything about....

Reactions: Montecresto
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am in Gunnison as I write..... going to lake city Monday and planning on riding area for two or three days...
I will answer any questions I know anything about....
Please let me know where you camp and witch trails you take from lake city. I'm trying to plan a ride in 2019. Any information will help me out with planning.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks All,

We are planning to camp in the Middleton BLM area Aug 25-31. It would be cool to meet some fellow members there.

We will be there at the same time. Would be glad to ride with other forum members. I will pm you my contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please let me know where you camp and witch trails you take from lake city. I'm trying to plan a ride in 2019. Any information will help me out with planning.

Hey Tram - google earth Middleton and Eureka CO ( a mile or two apart on the mining road out of Silverton ). You will see random areas to set up camp along the river. There are some actual RV parks in the area but we prefer the BLM environment ( dogs and kids can kind run free). The nice thing about this area is that you can run the Pioneer into town for supplies, dinner, beer.. ( not all towns are ATV friendly ) From here there alot of different ride options. The best ride i've done so far is to Kite Lake.. My buddies have run all the way to Creede. We aborted on that mission as it was a little too rough for my then 2 year old.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey Tram - google earth Middleton and Eureka CO ( a mile or two apart on the mining road out of Silverton ). You will see random areas to set up camp along the river. There are some actual RV parks in the area but we prefer the BLM environment ( dogs and kids can kind run free). The nice thing about this area is that you can run the Pioneer into town for supplies, dinner, beer.. ( not all towns are ATV friendly ) From here there alot of different ride options. The best ride i've done so far is to Kite Lake.. My buddies have run all the way to Creede. We aborted on that mission as it was a little too rough for my then 2 year old.
Is camping along those trails allowed??

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are marked BLM areas but I have noticed people just randomly camping in open areas that were not marked. The problem is that once you get off the 2 it gets steep and rough so it depends on what kind of rig you have. The 2 after about Eureka gets rough as well and would beat up a camper i would think. I do see guys camping at higher altitudes with 4x4's and tents. Another cool thing about Silverton is they have free water ( RV tank ) at the welcome center. I will usually run the P1 into town every 3-4 days to fill up a portable water tank and then transfer to my RV.

Reactions: Tramguage1 and Koda
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There are marked BLM areas but I have noticed people just randomly camping in open areas that were not marked. The problem is that once you get off the 2 it gets steep and rough so it depends on what kind of rig you have. The 2 after about Eureka gets rough as well and would beat up a camper i would think. I do see guys camping at higher altitudes with 4x4's and tents. Another cool thing about Silverton is they have free water ( RV tank ) at the welcome center. I will usually run the P1 into town every 3-4 days to fill up a portable water tank and then transfer to my RV.
Thanks for that, I was thinking of camping in tents along the SXS trail, not with an RV.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Awesome tha
Oh yeah you would be good - in fact I think there are some dedicated spots with pit toilets.
Awesome! Thank you, that may be good info for Tram too when planing the 2019 group ride up there!

Reactions: Tramguage1
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 1560

This where we normally camp. We are up on a ridge looking down across the river at the clearing/campground. Its first come but we have always found room for our group. Last year we had 4 RV's in our group. Can't wait to get out of the heat..

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Make sure you grab some type of maps when you are in the area. I have a buddies close that goes up to Pagosa Springs every year. They ride to Creede and a couple other trails in the area. I have a couple trail maps ordered, I want to map out all the trails that people have done and see how we can logistically work out a group ride next Sept. 2019. It's looking like we may have to either move the group to a couple locations or trailer all the machines to trailheads. Move a large group would be a nightmare!!!! So really need one location that we can do at least 2 days of riding from 1 central location. Any help is appreciated.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!