Anybody hit the Alpine Loop lately?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you grab some type of maps when you are in the area. I have a buddies close that goes up to Pagosa Springs every year. They ride to Creede and a couple other trails in the area. I have a couple trail maps ordered, I want to map out all the trails that people have done and see how we can logistically work out a group ride next Sept. 2019. It's looking like we may have to either move the group to a couple locations or trailer all the machines to trailheads. Move a large group would be a nightmare!!!! So really need one location that we can do at least 2 days of riding from 1 central location. Any help is appreciated.

I did PS last year and the Silverton area has more options IMO. There are several RV parks plus random BLM land that can access the alpine loop area. Most are not that technical but you can cover a lot of ground in a day. Last summer I put 500 miles in less than 2 weeks between Silverton and PS areas and did not see everything. That was with a 2 yr old on board..

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I did PS last year and the Silverton area has more options IMO. There are several RV parks plus random BLM land that can access the alpine loop area. Most are not that technical but you can cover a lot of ground in a day. Last summer I put 500 miles in less than 2 weeks between Silverton and PS areas and did not see everything. That was with a 2 yr old on board..
We need to talk when you get back!

Reactions: Montecresto
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll try and look around for more group areas. I think you will need to find out how many want to dry camp ( BLM -free ) or use an RV park with utilities. The wonderful thing is you do not need A/C at night so no need to run the Gen all night. In fact I usually only run the A/C a little in the afternoon when my kid is napping. Most prob won't need to.

Reactions: Tramguage1
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also - it will be important to let everyone know that for the most part this is not technical terrain. I'm sure you can find some but for the most part they are mining/jeep trails. I have rode RRB and this is almost the polar opposite. The winches will not be needed but you prob won't break anything either. But damn the scenery is beautiful..

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll try and look around for more group areas. I think you will need to find out how many want to dry camp ( BLM -free ) or use an RV park with utilities. The wonderful thing is you do not need A/C at night so no need to run the Gen all night. In fact I usually only run the A/C a little in the afternoon when my kid is napping. Most prob won't need to.
Is it possible to do both. Set up camp in the campground with RV’s, electric and water, but also hit the trail with a tent and cooler in the back and ride all day, camping trailside, then ride again returning to the RV camp the next night. Or some variation of, lol.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Absolutely - I was just referring to those camping with RV's. Unlimited tent camping throughout the area. I have noticed people posting up with RV's in random unmarked areas without problems - I guess as long as it's not PP you are OK.

I like the idea off taking off and tent camping with Pioneer for a night or so..it gets cold up high tho..

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

This is exactly what I'm kicking around. I'm sure some will need a cabin or motel room and commute each day. but the ones that dry camp in RVs or tents can keep an eye on the machines overnight .

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was in Lake City this weekend.... rode the loop Tuesday... with the side trip to Silverton
I assume everyone is aware that Lake City is now AtV friendly... leaving Ouray the outsider....
We camped at Williams creek campground about twelve mi,es south of lake city....great campground and friendly hosts....
I recommend the Wager gulch side trip up to Carson and then a short jump up to the continental divide....

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was in Lake City this weekend.... rode the loop Tuesday... with the side trip to Silverton
I assume everyone is aware that Lake City is now AtV friendly... leaving Ouray the outsider....
We camped at Williams creek campground about twelve mi,es south of lake city....great campground and friendly hosts....
I recommend the Wager gulch side trip up to Carson and then a short jump up to the continental divide....

I GE'd Williams Creek - is that private or BLM? Looks nice. So you can connect all the way to the AL from their relatively easily? I have gone as far as the creede/kite lake spit ( then on to kite lake ). My buddies went on towards creed but said it was pretty rough.

Reactions: Koda and Tramguage1
advertisement
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I GE'd Williams Creek - is that private or BLM? Looks nice. So you can connect all the way to the AL from their relatively easily? I have gone as far as the creede/kite lake spit ( then on to kite lake ). My buddies went on towards creed but said it was pretty rough.[/QUOTE

It is national forest or whatever that is..... no rvhookups.... but water, trash, and clean pit toilets....
It is actually on about mile marker 7 of the alpine loop.....

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ok I must have been looking at different place as the one I saw was southwest of Creede?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!