P700m4 Anyone ever find a solution to cold start problems with the 700?

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tried to find the information to help, and then quit.
I enjoy the search, the reading of multiple threads, multiple websites, to find the little scrap of information that leads to the answer at the end of the tunnel. It's fun, challenging, and I usually learn something along the way.
But, Guess what, some years used different plugs and hey GUESS WHAT some years have 2 plugs!!!
After using the search bar, any post requesting help should at a minimum include:
1) Year, example (2018)
2) Make, example (Honda)
3) Model, example (Pioneer 700)
4) and maybe a description of your individual problem
edit to add
and maybe say "I used the search bar, but could not find......"
little rant over...... hahaha!!
Have a good day

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
N

Nebowhunter

Nov 5, 2019
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did the Iridium plugs. Thinner oil. I also put a full sized car battery in it.. Was still not helping.
Finally put a block heater in it. Started fine if plugged in. But not if below 20 degrees.
So I wired the starter with the small utv battery after the starter solenoid so that the starter is wired 24V starts fine down to zero. Will see if starter lasts long, but I talked to someone who does it on his hill climbing race bike and he hasn't burned up a starter yet.
I can say it starts so fast that you aren't running the starter for more than a second or two. YouTube had some videos on how to do it.

C

Custer83

Dec 28, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
We live in NW Michigan and we quickly found out that the original battery in my P700-2 wasn't going to cut it. Started fine until November. We fabricated a battery bracket with a box to fit under the drivers seat and with a full size car battery installed we have had zero issues in temps well into single digits.
I agree with earlier posts....my first Honda was purchased in 1979 and I continue to be a faithful fan due to their reliability. With that said, if Honda intends to market and sell units in northern tier states and Canada, they need to step it up and install a system that will function in our climate.

Reactions: Glock21user

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!