P1000m5 Anyone know anything about these radiators...

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
06CDDA84 4E48 49EC B23E DCFB8B517ED5
3700D7B3 AF3F 41BF 9DE6 E427AEEA4AE6

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw these on Amazon... are they replacement for OEM?.
are they improvements on factory?? Why is the 2020 a different price....??
or are they just heater cores for add on heaters??
I am confused.... only replacement radiator I had ever seen was over 800 bucks....

Reactions: Remington
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting.
Yeh I know.... that buddy of yours is the only guy I know who had and aftermarket...... like I said... I wonder if these are any better.... I am getting ready to tear into mine and put the spaal fan on... but am hesitant to go with the bigger radiator....
especially since one is a more expensive version....I wonder if it is bigger... I couldn’t find dimensions.... nor did I ever hear that Honda had finally modified anything...

H

HondaTech

Looks to be China junk, they make car radiators and don't seem to be very reputable.

Like the $40 dirt bike radiators on ebay, they'll do the job. But don't expect gold for pennies.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks to be China junk, they make car radiators and don't seem to be very reputable.

Like the $40 dirt bike radiators on ebay, they'll do the job. But don't expect gold for pennies.
I understand.... but three years later I am still overheating at altitude and getting ready to fix it my self.....@cuoutdoors is the only person I know who solved the problem,....

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeh I know.... that buddy of yours is the only guy I know who had and aftermarket...... like I said... I wonder if these are any better.... I am getting ready to tear into mine and put the spaal fan on... but am hesitant to go with the bigger radiator....
especially since one is a more expensive version....I wonder if it is bigger... I couldn’t find dimensions.... nor did I ever hear that Honda had finally modified anything...

I dont have any faith in that product. Probably be lucky if it even fits and I doubt it cools better. The fan upgrade will help a lot especially if you add in a manual switch. I think for most people thats probably enough.. Otherwise the one from TCP definitely works well.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I understand.... but three years later I am still overheating at altitude and getting ready to fix it my self.....@cuoutdoors is the only person I know who solved the problem,....
If you get the fan just add the manual switch so you can run it full time when you are riding at altitude. I can't promise that will solve it but definitely help. When we went to moab all 3 pioneers over heated climbing the paved road up the mountain. I dont know if they had full time fan switches..... @Ragnar406 @GlockMeister

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Interesting there is a different one for 2020. Implies something was changed. Did Honda upgrade it a bit without telling anyone? Are 2020 owners having this issue?

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you get the fan just add the manual switch so you can run it full time when you are riding at altitude. I can't promise that will solve it but definitely help. When we went to moab all 3 pioneers over heated climbing the paved road up the mountain. I dont know if they had full time fan switches..... @Ragnar406 @GlockMeister
I added the manual switch.... then started having problems with the sensors... Honda has replaced two of them but I haven’t gotten to take it out since.... my dual battery isolator was bad last time they replaced a sensor .....it has been a comedy of stuff complicated by the fact I bought the damn five year warranty for the first and last time in my life.....
so instead of fixing it myself I keep thinking they should fix it... but it is two hours plus to the dealer... then when they get part in stock another trip to get it installed....
i am not expecting violin music here... but I think the system has been best described as marginal at best....
hoping the fan solves it.... I am waiting on Rmax 4 to start appearing in better supply for the summer..... pioneer will go to the ranch for utility work.....
KRX looks awesome but just seems to not fit what I need.....
thanks for the advice

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've got the Engine Watchdog which controls my fan and allows me to watch the actual temp... that allowed me to make it a bit further up than the other 2 pioneers before I had to pull over and cool it off with the sprayer. The watchdog doesn't have a fan timeout like oem so it was running constantly but it still couldn't keep up. Before the trip, I replaced all the coolant and at two seperate times I had it on a very steep incline, running it for over an hour to make sure I had all bubbles out.

I think for some machines, there's nothing you can do besides a spaal fan or radiator swap to fix it. Maybe it's the tolerances around the poorly designed shroud or some fans just aren't pulling at their best, but there's machines that make it fine and machines that don't, no matter what.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This issue has me concerned. To spend over $20K and have an over heating problem. My riding area is 8800 - 10,000 feet. Honda seems to ignore this issue.

Reactions: Pilgrim
Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
On second thought. Cuoutdoors at Moab. What was the temperature? Were you going slow so no air flow?

Reactions: Pilgrim
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
On second thought. Cuoutdoors at Moab. What was the temperature? Were you going slow so no air flow?
@Cuoutdoors
We were going up into the mountains on a dirt road, running normal speeds I'd say, below 45 for sure... this was early Oct and I think the temps were around mid to high 80's in Moab.

Edited to clarify - I was driving one of the Pioneers on the trip.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In the area we overheated it was like 75-80. Moving fast enough for air flow. Yes its an issue and Honda doesn't care.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!