P500 Anyone still have thier old Hondas?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That's all legal talk ;) , anything can be dangerous. Those dang high heal logger boots cause some accidents I'm sure LOL
It may be all legal talk to you, but very real to the numbers of families affected by them, and again, production was banned. ;)

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, murder rate is down in America and kids are no longer dying on 3-wheelers.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
But they're still dying on their four-wheelers. Sometimes, regardless of the good intentions of governmental intervention, you just can't protect people from themselves.
Well, not anything like the same rate, A and 2, this wasn't a matter of well intentioned government, but concerned citizens and grieving parents that successfully lobbied congress to outlaw them. I mean it just is what it is, and part of governments roll anyway is to protect society and so they ban things like lead pipes for drinking water, asbestos, and regulate business because humans are greedy and will do things that are financially beneficial to themselves even if detrimental to their patrons.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
While I mostly agree with that last bit.. it's just dumb to ban things like 3 wheelers and yet still have scooters, motorcycles, skateboards... hell I bet more kids die on bicycles! I get your point and know what you're saying but this is one of those instances where blaming the machine instead of the person riding the machine is the problem. It's that whole self accountability thing.
That's hard to do with kids. You might say though that nothing was banned at all, but manufactures added a fourth wheel to ATV's which made them safer.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did something happen to you or someone you know on a 3 wheeler, Monte? Lots of things can be deadly if abused. Some things even have been outlawed.

IdahoPioneer

IdahoPioneer

Oct 16, 2015
Emmett, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
1987 Fourtrax Foreman 350 passed down from my father. No telling how many thousands of miles. Still runs beautifully with little maintenance. Even with having the P500 it still facilitates plenty of interesting adventures. And yes, I did actually pull that truck and trailer out with "the little Honda that could".

IMG 1495 IMG 1526 IMG 17991

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Did something happen to you or someone you know on a 3 wheeler, Monte? Lots of things can be deadly if abused. Some things even have been outlawed.
No, I sold it before that could happen. If you want to see 3-wheelers in the stores again, do what people did to begin with in getting them banned, lobby congress.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
And I get that.. and prefer 4 wheelers. but if the p500 was banned because it was "too" tippy would you think that was a good idea? Point being, I've heard you say countless times.. "know and understand the limits of the machine".. the big red was a fine machine and fun in its own right. I just hate to see the few ruin it for everyone else.
If an unacceptable number of people are being injured and killed on the P5, which was the case with 3-wheelers, I wouldn't care.

advertisement
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I get your point and know what you're saying but this is one of those instances where blaming the machine instead of the person riding the machine is the problem. It's that whole self accountability thing.

I get your passion for the old ATC. I still have my '85 Kawasaki Tecate. My theory - the down fall of the ATC was that it didn't fall over when stopped. Kids weren't starting these things and riding them. Back in the day I saw too many parents kick/pull starting them with the kid on the ATC, slipping the clutch then hopping off and letting the kid ride around. They couldn't do this with a dirt bike because they would fall over.

ATCs are gone. Long live the ATC.

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Even after having ridden them and knowing that the reason people are being injured it from their own negligence?? That's crazy talk!! That's the same argument that's being used against guns.. but as terrible as accidents are it's not the machines or the guns.. it's the people using them. It's not the really same as lead pipes or asbestos.. that's apples and oranges. But regardless it doesn't really matter.. people are too busy buying 20k sxs and the 3 wheeler is but a Honda memory.
But the P5 is tippy. And guns are irrelevant, we're not talking about constitutionally protected issues.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lol.. although I'm very glad to hear that stance on the 2A... the premise is the same. Because this handful of people do dumb s***.. No one should be allowed to have them.. to me it's even more insane to blame the Honda because it's only the riders being injured.
Nope, you're allowed to have them, in fact I thought that you do. And I had mine long after the ban. Btw, I'm not blaming Honda for anything, and they aren't the only one to have mfg'rd a 3-wheeler.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes.. And by not having them.. I mean no more to be produced. I know it wasn't just Honda... for me it's the mindset of accepting it as ok to tell me they're too dangerous to buy anymore, that's what gets me. I thought you were a libitarian?? I'm surprised by your stance on the 3 wheeler decision.
I accept it as a matter of practicality. I supported Sanders throughout the primary season, the libertarian was my second choice. I'm glad that the government doesn't allow hydrogen to be used as a bouyancy for blimps any longer, or lead in paint. Anywway, you must understand the power of the lobby, it's what makes things happen.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes.. but you must also understand that it doesn't mean it's right or fair or even remotely resembling the idea of freedom. I just don't think 3 wheelers were a real public safety hazard.. it wasn't the machines. They weren't bursting into flames or blowing up... people didn't use sense when riding or allowing kids to ride.
Yes they were, and a successful number of Americans demonstrated this to congress. No one has lost their freedom over this issue. And having owned 3 and 4 wheel ATV's and now sxs's for the last 8 years, I don't miss the earlier.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You're completely missing the point.. and the problem with that mindset.
I haven't missed anything. I just don't care that a machine that so many people were injured or killed on was replaced by one much safer.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And now I get to unfollow thus thread. More political bullsht.... btw, land pioneer, nice holster there buddy :)

Reactions: LandPioneer
J

JTW

@Montecresto, I've deleted my today's comments as the resident whiner has moved in. God forbid folks skip over posts they don't like..

@LandPioneer, sorry for jacking your thread! Seemed like a pretty appropriate topic for the place.

Reactions: LandPioneer
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Montecresto, I've deleted my today's comments as the resident whiner has moved in. God forbid folks skip over posts they don't like..

@LandPioneer, sorry for jacking your thread! Seemed like a pretty appropriate topic for the place.
Haha, ok.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!