Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's an ad for a newer version Power Commander on fb page. They're claiming 6hp gain with their tune. That is a huge gain for this motor. Almost 10%. If that's with a bone stock machine and no other mods I'm extremely skeptical. There's just not that kinda performance lurking in that engine waiting to be set free. There'd have to be some mod to increase airflow into engine.
Anyways, I was just curious if anyone has tried one yet. I'm all for some power gain but almost 20 years of dragracing bikes has taught me to be skeptical of easy up gains. I've wasted thousands on products that just didn't deliver. Not sure if this is the case here, but I don't trust any product that's dynoed by the people that made it. Dynos can be manipulated to show any gain you want.

Reactions: amc019 and pct
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There's an ad for a newer version Power Commander on fb page. They're claiming 6hp gain with their tune. That is a huge gain for this motor. Almost 10%. If that's with a bone stock machine and no other mods I'm extremely skeptical. There's just not that kinda performance lurking in that engine waiting to be set free. There'd have to be some mod to increase airflow into engine.
Anyways, I was just curious if anyone has tried one yet. I'm all for some power gain but almost 20 years of dragracing bikes has taught me to be skeptical of easy up gains. I've wasted thousands on products that just didn't deliver. Not sure if this is the case here, but I don't trust any product that's dynoed by the people that made it. Dynos can be manipulated to show any gain you want.

I've been curious of that too @Delton. With my snorkel, the intake is more open and I've got a bigger exhaust tip. Not sure if those are enough to help with a tuner or not.

Another member noted that he slightly richened the fuel to air ratio and the motor runs a lot cooler. That would be an added benefit.

I'm in the same boat, just skeptical right now and I'm waiting for some reviews.

Reactions: pct and Delton
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've been curious of that too @Delton. With my snorkel, the intake is more open and I've got a bigger exhaust tip. Not sure if those are enough to help with a tuner or not.

Another member noted that he slightly richened the fuel to air ratio and the motor runs a lot cooler. That would be an added benefit.

I'm in the same boat, just skeptical right now and I'm waiting for some reviews.
Joey was that done with the Commander or was that accomplished without? I know because of emissions they run lean but that's really hard on a motor

Reactions: pct
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The ecu should be able to compensate for the mods you've done. It'd be alot more accurate if they had map or maf sensors but guess they were trying to keep production costs and complexity down. Every honda I've ever seen (which is quite a few) on the dynos preferred running slightly lean but yeah richer will run cooler. I just can't get past that almost 10% gain claim. On a 4cyl 1000cc sport bike, if you got 10% with piston kit and full exhaust, consider it a good day lol. I can't see honda leaving that much on the table with a stock tune. Of course I'd love to be wrong lmao.
This place also said they were coming with cam and aftermarket exhausts too. That'll open up a new can of worms. Then you can see some serious gains with a tuner. Bad part is finding a dyno wide enough for these things lol. There's a place in Huntsville that used to have a chassis dyno. I'm not the biggest advocate for using them, but they help getting you in the right direction lol. Never found anything better than wide open run then a plug check lol.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Joey was that done with the Commander or was that accomplished without? I know because of emissions they run lean but that's really hard on a motor

It was member @slowandeasy. He claimed that the power commander with auto tune allowed to select the fuel ratio. He selected a richer mix and noticed way less heat.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got the snorkel and opened the exhaust tip too. I just like the little sound change.
Yours does sound good. I've got the screen removed. I ran for a little while with end cap totally removed. I swear throttle response was snappier. If so, that'd suggest it was running little fat instead of lean. Loved the sound but as @joeymt33 pointed out to me, it'd allow all kinds of mud to enter canister.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I read on his build with it but it was sounding like someone had found a way without it. I'm surprised more members haven't been trying this with the 1000. It'll have to get more fuel I think before add ons will get added benefits I know there's got to be a way to grab a little power but maybe without the Africa head it'll be tough.

Reactions: ToddACimer and pct
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
The ecu should be able to compensate for the mods you've done. It'd be alot more accurate if they had map or maf sensors but guess they were trying to keep production costs and complexity down. Every honda I've ever seen (which is quite a few) on the dynos preferred running slightly lean but yeah richer will run cooler. I just can't get past that almost 10% gain claim. On a 4cyl 1000cc sport bike, if you got 10% with piston kit and full exhaust, consider it a good day lol. I can't see honda leaving that much on the table with a stock tune. Of course I'd love to be wrong lmao.
This place also said they were coming with cam and aftermarket exhausts too. That'll open up a new can of worms. Then you can see some serious gains with a tuner. Bad part is finding a dyno wide enough for these things lol. There's a place in Huntsville that used to have a chassis dyno. I'm not the biggest advocate for using them, but they help getting you in the right direction lol. Never found anything better than wide open run then a plug check lol.

yes significantly cooler. i have all the fuel trims, but with out a PCV you can still download their software and maps to see all their trim tables.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

Ive seen a stock Goldwing make 136HP at the wheel with a computer and mufflers, through stock cats and air filter. Normal is around 95-100. I think Honda leaves a lot on the table tbh.

H

HondaTech

RELIABILITY

Ol' boy beat the crap out of that thing and it never hiccupped once. I cant remember how many miles it had. But he no lift shifted and Goldwings are known for having trans issues.

Now will it make it to 100K like several other 1800s I've seen, who knows?

Reactions: JACKAL
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No I mean they leave a lot on the table for the sake of reliability.

H

HondaTech

No doubt, I mean the Africa twin isn't the same engine, but not a stretch to see there close in design. So if that thing makes the power it does reliably, why cant the P1K? LOL

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No doubt, I mean the Africa twin isn't the same engine, but not a stretch to see there close in design. So if that thing makes the power it does reliably, why cant the P1K? LOL

It’s close enough you can add a lot of the parts.

J

JTW

Anymore input on the tuners? Is it worth it or not?

@Kilo427 @Ragnar406 and I have been talking about them..

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!