Articulating Hitch

Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am looking for a light duty articulating hitch for my 700 that would rotate on all 3 axis'. Thinking about hauling firewood utility trailer through the woods and over hills - want to help avoid binding, bending and roll over. There are some good (but expensive) heavy duty options available like Lock N Roll but I only need one good to 3500 lbs or less. Looking to purchase or DIY fabricate. Ideas?

Reactions: Backwoods and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am looking for a light duty articulating hitch for my 700 that would rotate on all 3 axis'. Thinking about hauling firewood utility trailer through the woods and over hills - want to help avoid binding, bending and roll over. There are some good (but expensive) heavy duty options available like Lock N Roll but I only need one good to 3500 lbs or less. Looking to purchase or DIY fabricate. Ideas?
The motorcycle guys use a standard u-joint between the receiver and trailer tongue.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk
$60 in materials and 1/2 hour on the welder. The rest is Liability !

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Why not use the standard pintel style hitch? Commonly available, inexpensive, and works. The example shown is way over weight needed but an example of how it can flex.

Screenshot 20231225 131907 Amazon Shopping

Screenshot 20231225 131928 Amazon Shopping

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Why not use the standard pintel style hitch? Commonly available, inexpensive, and works. The example shown is way over weight needed but an example of how it can flex.

View attachment 412849
View attachment 412850
making an engineering project out of it, need to be careful, I have seen many sxs's on the roof and side from hauling stuff in a trailer - things are so freaking light - need to be super careful going down the slightest of grades

Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
making an engineering project out of it, need to be careful, I have seen many sxs's on the roof and side from hauling stuff in a trailer - things are so freaking light - need to be super careful going down the slightest of grades
I can see this happening which is why I wanted the articulating hitch.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
At some point I plan to build an overlanding trailer. These two DIY articulating hitches were some of the info I found during the online research

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I saw this one and liked it. Got the welding capability but it looked to me like machining required that I do not have equpment for. Will look at it again.
His list of the tools needed is very basic. Since you can weld, you'll probably have what you need.

Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Dec 19, 2023
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
His list of the tools needed is very basic. Since you can weld, you'll probably have what you need.
I spent some time with the Tventuring Under $50 DIY thread today.

What a great design and write up! It is do-able for me although my MIG welder is only 140 vs his suggested 180 amp. If I have to, I could dust off the old Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone stick welder and see if that still works. I tallied up all the parts I would need from his material list (again, very nicely done) and now, 10+ years later, it is about $130 vs his original less than $50 but still way cheaper than the ready made options everyone identified.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I do not have immediate plans to pull the trigger on this project but hope to by early spring. Will post back with my results.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I spent some time with the Tventuring Under $50 DIY thread today.

What a great design and write up! It is do-able for me although my MIG welder is only 140 vs his suggested 180 amp. If I have to, I could dust off the old Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone stick welder and see if that still works. I tallied up all the parts I would need from his material list (again, very nicely done) and now, 10+ years later, it is about $130 vs his original less than $50 but still way cheaper than the ready made options everyone identified.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I do not have immediate plans to pull the trigger on this project but hope to by early spring. Will post back with my results.
How is this better than a pintle hitch? When I was in the military every vehicle was equipped with one.

Reactions: TxDoc and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!