Any experience with weight distribution hitches?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not 100% but looking like the Mac’s rail for the floor. I’ll need 3-8’ kits.

Track Kit - Surface Mount, Wide Contour (Series 3) - VersaTie

Macs is in Sagle, Idaho.. where our property is. Really cool folks. I bought my saw press from them. They are a big outfit though.. they had a huge display at Barrett Jackson this year. Looks to me like they make good quality stuff. My saw press is very well built.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never claimed to be “all that”... I don’t care what you have... I’m buying for what I need. Simple as that.
To give you an example I load the wolverine in front, pioneer over the axles, and rest of gear wherever it lands. Don't put gas cans in the trailer. 25psi in bags and it hauls straight as an arrow. With 2 pioneers you wont need w.d. hitch. Do you have heavy 10 ply tires that require 80 psi? That could be a difference.

Reactions: JTW and mjn
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To give you an example I load the wolverine in front, pioneer over the axles, and rest of gear wherever it lands. Don't put gas cans in the trailer. 25psi in bags and it hauls straight as an arrow. With 2 pioneers you wont need w.d. hitch. Do you have heavy 10 ply tires that require 80 psi? That could be a difference.

“No gas cans in the trailer”
Because of heat & expansion.. ie; leaks?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Stout, high pressure tires will definitely firm things up.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm going to have to chime in with my experience! I have a 2018 RAM3500 and I used it for 14mths in the RV transportation business. Not one time did I use any load level device. Maybe because the Tongue weight vs my suspension was not overloaded at any time. I hauled 5th wheels and Bumper Pulls for 181,600mi during that time. I hauled them under extreme weather conditions ice, snow, blizzard, high winds across Wyoming, Montana Iowa and Nebraska. I'm not saying they are not needed but with the vehicle I was using, I didn't! If you are wanting to buy, my son has a hitch that he used that he would part with if he still has it. Send me a PM and I will give phone contact to you.

Reactions: Plumber32
J

JTW

I'm going to have to chime in with my experience! I have a 2018 RAM3500 and I used it for 14mths in the RV transportation business. Not one time did I use any load level device. Maybe because the Tongue weight vs my suspension was not overloaded at any time. I hauled 5th wheels and Bumper Pulls for 181,600mi during that time. I hauled them under extreme weather conditions ice, snow, blizzard, high winds across Wyoming, Montana Iowa and Nebraska. I'm not saying they are not needed but with the vehicle I was using, I didn't! If you are wanting to buy, my son has a hitch that he used that he would part with if he still has it. Send me a PM and I will give phone contact to you.
If all I were doing is pulling a trailer then I would have a bigger truck. Mine is my daily driver, work vehicle and kid hauler. I bought the truck for what I use it for the most. Do I “need” the WD hitch.. prolly not. But for a couple hundred dollars I’ve found one used and will give it a try. May not be worth a s***. But it may make things better. I dunno, but it’s worth a shot

J

JTW

Macs is in Sagle, Idaho.. where our property is. Really cool folks. I bought my saw press from them. They are a big outfit though.. they had a huge display at Barrett Jackson this year. Looks to me like they make good quality stuff. My saw press is very well built.
I’ve actually sourced all the stuff about $50 cheaper per 16’.. but I don’t know what then quality will be. Macs is made here and they have answered or returned my call every time I’ve had a question. So I’ll give them my business!

J

JTW

Yeah.. it very well may be fine loaded. I suspect it will be better. The truck is still on s***ty stock tires, what.. 4 ply? And I’m not sure about the trailer. That’s a good point to look at on it too. I was planning on upgrading the truck to a heavier ply but just running out of time!

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If all I were doing is pulling a trailer then I would have a bigger truck. Mine is my daily driver, work vehicle and kid hauler. I bought the truck for what I use it for the most. Do I “need” the WD hitch.. prolly not. But for a couple hundred dollars I’ve found one used and will give it a try. May not be worth a s***. But it may make things better. I dunno, but it’s worth a shot
I personally wouldn't haul that trailer without a WD hitch on a 1/2 ton truck either. Yeah, you can do it but long trips can really wear you down if you are fighting a trailer through bad weather or heavy traffic.
I used one of this type when I had a half ton Dodge and I really liked how much better it pulled. I just didn't like the racket it made around tight corners or when backing up.
https://www.amazon.com/EAZ-LIFT-48058-Distribution-Capacity/dp/B005SB6S3Y/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Good luck with your new setup!

Reactions: JTW
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
always used half tons for everything, seems stupid to put up with everything bad all the time. pulled huge trailers with all my chevies that are like buicks, really need a good weight dist hitch if are going to do that, best way to make it turn safe and stay strait in the wind. the best one and the one i buy for everything are the dual cam ones, the best in the bad wind, have the reese one and the 33 ft camper is strait no matter and this setup is the best because the other tighten down ones you have to mess with to back up and they cant put much force on it, just resets itself when you straiten up. they are worth it, think they are normally 600 i got mine for half when i bought the trailer

J

JTW

I personally wouldn't haul that trailer without a WD hitch on a 1/2 ton truck either. Yeah, you can do it but long trips can really wear you down if you are fighting a trailer through bad weather or heavy traffic.
I used one of this type when I had a half ton Dodge and I really liked how much better it pulled. I just didn't like the racket it made around tight corners or when backing up.
https://www.amazon.com/EAZ-LIFT-48058-Distribution-Capacity/dp/B005SB6S3Y/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Good luck with your new setup!
That’s one of the big reasons I wen with this Andersen.. you can back up and it’s quite.

Reactions: hardlyworkin
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I were you I'd be driving that Rubicon for your daily, even that old willy's .

Reactions: Tigermark

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!