P500 automatic/manual?

Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
Anybody wish the manual mode was truly manual? How about a way to disable the automatic downshifts when in manual mode. I've never driven the older model, but seems like a mistake to do away with the driver being totally in charge in manual shift mode.
Rich

Reactions: Arizona
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody wish the manual mode was truly manual? How about a way to disable the automatic downshifts when in manual mode. I've never driven the older model, but seems like a mistake to do away with the driver being totally in charge in manual shift mode.
Rich

I think it would be hard to make it truly manual. Say if you were riding in manual in 5th gear and slowed all the way down and didn't down shift. Then swapped it to auto, that would cause all kinds of problems for the transmission. Imagine the bike trying to shift from 5th to first due to not being operated correctly. I shut mine off in 3rd all the time not paying attention. When I crank up I just downshift to second and go. I think I would rather it down shift automatically on an auto trans. And manual on a manual with no auto option.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now if they made it to where it would make you shift to neutral in that case for it to go to auto, maybe... would probably be a programming nightmare!

Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 0819
Now if they made it to where it would make you shift to neutral in that case for it to go to auto, maybe... would probably be a programming nightmare!
To be honest so far I've only driven it around my yard and it is currently in the back of my old 1960 Dodge 1 ton Step-side Dually (9 ft. bed). I plan to take to my sister's place in the mountains and leave it there for her to use (except when I'm there). Maybe I'll end up liking it the way it is.
Rich

Last edited:
Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I unload it up in the mountains. First ride...I'll try to remember to take a few pictures out in the woods.

xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Eastern Ontario back country
Ownership

1. 500
I'm in Auto mode 90% of the time which surprised me cause I like shifting. When in Manual I do find the auto down shifts annoying at times but as William pointed out, there's probably several justifiable reasons for the nanny shifting.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Got the original p5...2015
paddle shifters...was one of the
selling features. .auto is just something
else..to break..shifting is it.....

Reactions: maddmax and Rustell
xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
Got the original p5...2015
paddle shifters...was one of the
selling features. .auto is just something
else..to break..shifting is it.....

I would agree that as mechanical complexity increases the possibility of failure increases.

In the case of the auto shifting feature, IMO this should have no impact on transmission mechanical reliability and I would argue that if implemented correctly, optimal program control over motor revs, ignition and electric shift timing could prove to increase overall transmission reliability. I believe that Honda has enough experience at this to get it right.

Reactions: Mudder and rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I unload it up in the mountains. First ride...I'll try to remember to take a few pictures out in the woods.
HaHa
your gonna say....
P5....
Fun...reliable. ..more Fun

Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
OK, I put almost 40 miles on the machine over the last 3 days. The first day I pretty much used manual mode all the time because I'm stubborn.
Drove about 30 miles that day. Found out pretty quick that lugging this motor is the way to a smooth ride since the muffler shield vibrates and the motor isn't a high rpm design but is a torque monster.
I was also commuting from my sister's cabin to mine each day about 4 miles each way due to a project I was doing. Tried the auto mode and found that if you're just driving roads, auto is good. It works for trails too, but sometimes you really don't want an upshift to happen.
So my opinion is still I wish manual was truly manual, but it's a well thought out design and for the most part it's good.
Rich

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
OK, I put almost 40 miles on the machine over the last 3 days. The first day I pretty much used manual mode all the time because I'm stubborn.
Drove about 30 miles that day. Found out pretty quick that lugging this motor is the way to a smooth ride since the muffler shield vibrates and the motor isn't a high rpm design but is a torque monster.
I was also commuting from my sister's cabin to mine each day about 4 miles each way due to a project I was doing. Tried the auto mode and found that if you're just driving roads, auto is good. It works for trails too, but sometimes you really don't want an upshift to happen.
So my opinion is still I wish manual was truly manual, but it's a well thought out design and for the most part it's good.
Rich
I agree auto works well on open roads and manual for rough roads or trails.

W

Waldo

Mar 11, 2017
Galveston, Tx.
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 15 and think having to shift ALL the time gets to be a pain in the ass but I'm 53 years old so that might have something to do with it.
Sometimes I just want to kick back and cruise and not have to pay attention to lugging or high rpm shift points.

Reactions: xinu
xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 15 and think having to shift ALL the time gets to be a pain in the ass but I'm 53 years old so that might have something to do with it.
Sometimes I just want to kick back and cruise and not have to pay attention to lugging or high rpm shift points.

I have 10 more years on the clock than you and the auto mode is much appreciated. On the technical trails I always switch to manual.

This buggy is fantastic for picking a gear you want and then just relax and watch the world go by. The shift nanny may wake you up if you go too slow.

S

Shive

I've had mine 2 months now and I don't use auto any more. There's just too much downshifting for me, but it is better in manual mode. Personally, I don't think it should down shift to 1st ever.
I have 10 more years on the clock than you and the auto mode is much appreciated. On the technical trails I always switch to manual.

This buggy is fantastic for picking a gear you want and then just relax and watch the world go by. The shift nanny may wake you up if you go too slow.

I'm 66 and I don't use auto mode. To me there is just too much shifting going on that's unnecessary. Especially going into 1st gear every time. The down shifting in manual mode isn't too bad

Hmmm. I'm 66 and don't use auto mode. I think there is too much shifting that's unnecessary. In manual mode it shifts down less often and doesn't shift to 1st. I think 1st gear should be manual only.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!