P500 Manually down shifting

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I noticed in manual mode if you wait long enough it will automatically downshift. (2019 pioneer 500). The thing is, most of the time I find myself manually down shifting myself before the machiene is programmed to. Is this normal or is it designed to let the machiene downshift by itself or does it even matter. It's not like I'm downshifting when the rpms are real high, it just seems as if it waits too long by itself to make the move?

MB_Rider

MB_Rider

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2019
Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
That's normal, the P5's with the auto shift feature (17 and up I believe) downshift based on your speed and not your RPM. I manually change gears only in my. It's no different than the older P5's that didn't have the auto shift feature.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I had a Rincon once with the auto or manual shift. I did not like the auto, I felt I knew better when it should shift based on lugging etc. than the little Japanese engineers figured it should shift. My 2015 P5 only has manual and I really like it.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Downshifting seems to be a mixed preference, and there are threads where some have done mods to eliminate it with pre-2017 parts. I like the auto downshift when stopping, but as you noted @Fischer , a flip of the paddle is often needed for smoother uphill climbs. 95% manual mode for me.
Welcome to the forum.

S

spartner

Oct 17, 2019
Spokane
Ownership

1. 500
I understand that the auto transmission will learn your shifting preferences and learn to shift when you want it to. Just keep doing what you are doing and I think, with time, you will find that you won't have to manually shift as the automatic transmission will do it for you when you want it to based on your driving habits.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!