P500 Didn't read the manual; P5 is just fine...

P

PNWGuy

Fired up the machine to back it off the trailer and it ran fine. drove it down to the shop and did my mods and then fired it up again a couple of hours later and took it for a joy ride around town. All good.

It sat for an hour or so and I decided to go downtown for dinner and started it up and started to leave the driveway and it cut out repeatedly like it was starved for fuel or something. Was fine if I didn't give it gas. As soon as I tried to accelerate, it would cut out. Made it the 500yds to the pub and had dinner.

Went to leave and it started doing the same thing. Thought maybe it had to do something with not wearing the seatbelt. Strapped it on and no change.

Really concerned about this, How could it possibly be breaking down with 5 miles on it? Dealer said they filled it up with ethanol-free gas.

P

PNWGuy

From searching the other threads, sounds like it's the seatbelt thing. But why did it keep doing it when I latched the seatbelt? Do I have to stop and turn it off to re-set it or something?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From searching the other threads, sounds like it's the seatbelt thing. But why did it keep doing it when I latched the seatbelt? Do I have to stop and turn it off to re-set it or something?
Mine does that every now and then, I have to stop completely and then buckle up for it to stop. I typically leave my seat belt buckled behind me so I don’t have to mess with that during normal use. I do put it on when trail riding though.

Reactions: PNWGuy
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
How fast was it going when it cut out? My understanding is that the selt belt limiter let's you do 10 mph or so. It shouldn't be doing anything weird below that if it's the belt.

I can see how the belt switch could get jammed or just fail.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine will go about 13 without the seatbelt on.

P

PNWGuy

Changed the thread title so as to not to mislead anyone into thinking the P5 is not absolutely reliable...

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Changed the thread title so as to not to mislead anyone into thinking the P5 is not absolutely reliable...

Good deal. I’m glad you found the problem before your ride. What’d it end up being?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We don't need no stinking Manuels. I gots tree Jose's, two Juan's and a Emilio already. Top speed of 14 mph without belt attached. Me thinks it needs a giant painting of a Red Mexican Elvis on it somewhere. Damn Red Mexican Elvises...Sometimes after I have already started driving without it attached and it bogs down at 14 mph, even if I attach the belt after having gotten some momentum going, it still doesn't react until I come to a near complete stop before giving it gas and then it catches and I can fly again. There's a seat belt mod to overcome this somewhere on the forum...

advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excellent! I like to be buckled in when on the trail and believe in safety, but the idea of my machine being neutered mechanically if I don't buckle up seems a little too nanny-state for my liking.
True Idahoan!

Reactions: PNWGuy
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being that you're a larger gentleman, You may want to consider either a seat belt shoulder pad or replacing the belts altogether. I had to get some pads for mine as they kept cutting into my shoulder. A harness is in my near future.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My new 1000 does that too occasionally. I have to pull the seat belt out and reinsert it, sometimes more than once. I don’t know if there’s a problem with contact in the buckle or what.

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
To me having it function as it should is no big bother at all but then I do work at a psych hospital so I have a much higher tolerance for such things than a lot of people.

Oh I'm sure that seat belt set up came to Honda from a whole other place than them wanting to be nannies namely lawsuits and data with real hard facts on DEATHS and injuries occurring in vehicles like that being rolled and having someone thrown out and then crushed or pinned under it.
They probably came up with 14mph as a safe speed without having a seat belt on from data and testing and gave us that much rather than "no seat belt - no go".

I remember back when SxS's were really starting to get popular it seemed like every week you'd hear of someone getting killed, sadly mostly kids while riding one, usually a kid just having fun with family or friends in a SxS of course knowing everything about everything and knowing they don't need a seat belt because they think "I know how to drive" then BAM.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
To me having it function as it should is no big bother at all but then I do work at a psych hospital so I have a much higher tolerance for such things than a lot of people.
Dude, that’s funny.....I think. :D

P

PNWGuy

Oh I'm sure that seat belt set up came to Honda from a whole other place than them wanting to be nannies namely lawsuits and data with real hard facts on DEATHS and injuries occurring in vehicles like that being rolled and having someone thrown out and then crushed or pinned under it.
They probably came up with 14mph as a safe speed without having a seat belt on from data and testing and gave us that much rather than "no seat belt - no go".

I remember back when SxS's were really starting to get popular it seemed like every week you'd hear of someone getting killed, sadly mostly kids while riding one, usually a kid just having fun with family or friends in a SxS of course knowing everything about everything and knowing they don't need a seat belt because they think "I know how to drive" then BAM.
They're simply cheating Darwin...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!