P1000 aux battery HELP!

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the tru isolator on my p1000, today I noticed my auxillary battery is 11.7 vols, it lowers when I turn heater on, main is charging 14.5, its cold and im going to take it hunting, what could be the problem?how do I know if my isolator is working thanks+

Reactions: Smittyp and EMAW
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi.
Few things to check.
- is the little black wire grounded?
- does the blue light come on?
And
- where are you grounding the second battery?

Without the heater on... and really with also, it should still be somewhat equal voltage as the primary when connected.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Got a question about the tru isolator. The battery in my P5 is the original that's coming up on 7 years old. I keep a maintainer on it because if not it will go dead after a couple of weeks in the winter. As long as I keep it plugged in, no problems at all. When I parked it last time I forgot to plug it in for about about a week. When I remembered I plugged it in but forgot to take my keys so I could check it. In less than a minute the blue light came on. Does that indicate that the primary battery was still at full charge or that I don't completely understand how it works.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got a question about the tru isolator. The battery in my P5 is the original that's coming up on 7 years old. I keep a maintainer on it because if not it will go dead after a couple of weeks in the winter. As long as I keep it plugged in, no problems at all. When I parked it last time I forgot to plug it in for about about a week. When I remembered I plugged it in but forgot to take my keys so I could check it. In less than a minute the blue light came on. Does that indicate that the primary battery was still at full charge or that I don't completely understand how it works.
That’s what mine does, it only takes a few seconds for the isolator to ‘connect’ but that’s with a fully charged primary battery. I’d be surprised if your 7 year old battery was holding a full charge. Go ahead and replace it, you’re pressing your luck.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
That’s what mine does, it only takes a few seconds for the isolator to ‘connect’ but that’s with a fully charged primary battery. I’d be surprised if your 7 year old battery was holding a full charge. Go ahead and replace it, you’re pressing your luck.
New battery is on my list but I'll probably wait untill the spring to replace it.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are not going to be using it far from home, no risk in waiting. If you are venturing out, it'd be wise to take along one of those lithium battery jump starters or make up a thick wire jumper to jump the two large terminals on the True isolator so the Aux battery can help crank the engine.

The problem is that battery capacity diminishes over time, so your older main battery is just a shell of it's former self, with minimal cold cranking amps available. It's just waiting for the chance to leave you in a lurch. Just remember, in Pataphysics, most inanimate objects are "out to get you". Batteries are but one virulent example.

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dang Red, you should feel lucky! I only got a little over 2 years out of my original OEM battery!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The blue light, coming on quickly, only means the voltage on the battery under charge went above about 13.3 volts (IIRC). One might assume that this means that the battery under charge (from alternator or outside charger) is in good shape and all is right with the world, but that would be just a WAG. It maybe good, or it may be that the battery under charge simply has a surface charge, that the internal resistance is high due to age and plate sulfation, and that the battery is on its last ragged shaky edge.

Voltage reading at rest is only one parameter that may "suggest" you have a good battery. It's a good check for sure, but doesn't always tell the whole story or even the truth. To test for battery health you would need to do a load test, or measure the battery's internal resistance. IMO a load test is best.

Note that you can do I quick, down and dirty, load test with a voltmeter (even the one on the panel may work if the display stays on while cranking (some don't). Watch the voltage as you crank the engine, ideally it should stay above 11 volts while cranking before the engine starts and the engine charging system raises the voltage.

I just replaced the main battery on my '21 SE (wrote about that in a previous post). I believe this original battery was defective on delivery to me. Probably due to all the part shortages and delivery delays, it was in stock for more than a year and was not charged every 6 months in order to keep it healthy (Pb batteries lose some 5% charge per month in storage, and plate sulfation starts in earnest as the battery charge drops below 50%). Upon removal I load tested the battery which showed bad. I had another, same size battery, on the bench that was at least 6 or 7 years old, but kept charged - so slapped it on the same tester. It showed "weak", but way better than my stock battery.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I guess misspoke. I know the battery capacity is a lot less than what it was. I was just kinda surprised when the light came on as quickly as it did. I Carry I small set of jumper cables with me so I can hook to the second battery if need be. I hadn't thought about jumping across the isolator. That would be a lot easier. I'll have to make a short jumper for that.

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi.
Few things to check.
- is the little black wire grounded?
- does the blue light come on?
And
- where are you grounding the second battery?

Without the heater on... and really with also, it should still be somewhat equal voltage as the primary when connected.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
my battery is grounded to the extra ground on the 1000, blue light comes on,i do have a switch connected between the positives on the batteries so I can use both batteries if I need a boost.when I turn the switch on then both batteries show charging, with the switch off my auxillary shows 11.6 while running heater.the blue light is on. maybe that means my heater is drawing that much juice.I'm baffled.maybe I should un hook my switch and see what it charges then.if I turn the heater off it charges about 12, it drops when I turn the fan on,I would think it would be charging `14.5 like the other one.I un hooked the switch between battery positives and it charges the same 12 and 11.5 when fan is on.wtf

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
maybe that means my heater is drawing that much juice.
BINGO!
put an Amp/clamp meeter on your heater fan and compare it to amp draw on the data plate on the motor, recored running amps and start up amps. If its well below and your still dropping that much, u may have a dying
or dead cell in that battery. But 11.5 aint horrible. What's the standing voltage of that battery with no load or charging on it? Wouldn't hurt to put a battery load tester on it to see what the needle does when u add a load

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
agree with Remington

have battery tested

unhook heater and see what happens

how many watts is the heater and battery amp hours - if we know watts and battery amp hours, may be able to figure something out

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked the output on the auxiliary side of the isolator and get 12 volts, main side gets 14.5 volts,checked the aux battery with tester and even with honda running I only get 12 volts, seems like isolator isnt charging on auxiliary side.testor shows weak battery but I think that is because it isnt getting charged. blue light is on isolater, is the isolater shot, it isnt that old, maybe 2 years

Reactions: Smitty335 and EMAW
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I checked the output on the auxiliary side of the isolator and get 12 volts, main side gets 14.5 volts,checked the aux battery with tester and even with honda running I only get 12 volts, seems like isolator isnt charging on auxiliary side.testor shows weak battery but I think that is because it isnt getting charged. blue light is on isolater, is the isolater shot, it isnt that old, maybe 2 years
At the Isolator.
Unhook the second battery cable and do this same test.
Report back.

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the Isolator.
Unhook the second battery cable and do this same test.
Report back.
when I unhooked the battery my voltmeter showed 14.5 on both batteries, I hooked it up again and now it just shows 12 on auxiliary and 14.5 on main.I'm charging the aux now and the blue light comes on the isolator, do I have to un hook the battery to charge it, thanks for all the replies

Reactions: EMAW and Smitty335
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had my 1st isolator go bad after 1 year. It did the same as yours. Light would come on but my second battery wasn't charging. Bought a new one and haven't had a problem in over 3 years now. Still my original main battery and my original auxiliary mighty max battery.

B

Buckslayr

Oct 18, 2019
Nd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had my 1st isolator go bad after 1 year. It did the same as yours. Light would come on but my second battery wasn't charging. Bought a new one and haven't had a problem in over 3 years now. Still my original main battery and my original auxiliary mighty max battery.
when i unhooked the aux battery,auxiliary side of isolator to meter shows 14.5, wouldn’t that mean it’s charging on that side too

Reactions: EMAW and Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!