P1000 Bad idea to run 27/9 on all four corners?

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'd like to run the same size so I can rotate and don't want to go bigger than stock. Would traction or ride quality suffer much by having 27/9 in the rear? Leaning towards the roctane xd or black diamond. Majority of riding will be very sandy trail riding. I've never heard of the roctanes being bad in sand or loose trail conditions.

Reactions: Remington and sharp
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
27x9's are too narrow for most wheels on these machines (even the stock front wheels). You'll end up tearing up the wheels because the sidewalls dont offer and rim protection. I've always liked the look of 27x11's on all 4 corners but never driven a machine with them. 28x10's are a good choice on a 14x7 wheel or stock front wheels. They are a bit narrow for the stock rear wheels but they do fit.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I'm running a 30/9 and they can feel a little unstable at speed and turning. If your riding is thick sugar sand stay away from aggressive treads you will overheat take it from me I ran 4 bars and somehow didn't pop a head gasket. I need to look at roctanes tread pattern, skinny tall is great for mud my 28/10's offer a much better ride.

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

What is the point of rotating unless you're road riding? Skinnier tires in front for easier turning, wider in back for added flotation, especially in sand. I wonder how many that run the same size have ever rotated them? :rolleyes:
I rotate mine now... the ass end will wear more on a trail just like they would a road. Well, that’s if you have a machine that can spin the tires, not one of those kids bikes.

I believe the wider rear tire is more for load rating than flotation.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@JTW , I do the same. I have no issues with weight issues or floating. I think the same well as you that they ware better. I also fair Better in ruts with more control. I had 9’s on my last one and 9.5’s on my current set up with no problems. Having wider ones in the back makes me feel like I’m on a giant 4-wheeler lol.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the point of rotating unless you're road riding? Skinnier tires in front for easier turning, wider in back for added flotation, especially in sand. I wonder how many that run the same size have ever rotated them? :rolleyes:

The square profile of a 28x10 turn in a lot nicer than 27x9s with their round edges. I hated the squishy and sloppy feel of the stock front tires. Wouldn't go back after having 28x10s.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Go with a 28x10 on all 4 and you’ll be fine
Ditto, what @JTW said. Also consider the ITP Blackwater Evolution in 28x10x14 they are just as tough as Roctane XD but weigh a lot less per tire, will make a difference in front end handling vs. heavier tires.

advertisement
I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I don't think I can go bigger than stock height due to a short garage door opening. I'll have to measure. Worse case is I do 27/11 in the rear and 27/9 up front, or maybe a 27x8.5 inch truck mud tire all the way around.

J

JTW

I don't think I can go bigger than stock height due to a short garage door opening. I'll have to measure. Worse case is I do 27/11 in the rear and 27/9 up front, or maybe a 27x8.5 inch truck mud tire all the way around.
You do know that most tires don’t measure true to size..

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You do know that most tires don’t measure true to size..

Yeah I know, just like the stock tires aren't close to 27", and I don't have much clearance.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!