elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’m in the process of installing the arched SuperATV front a arms on my P1K. I’ve got new Honda ball joints pressed into the new arms and I am in the process of removing the OE a arms.

The goal is to remove that a arms and replace with the new ones as described in the P1K service manual. This does not require disassembling the hub from the steering knuckle and the axle from the hub. However the DA that installed the front suspension on my P1K put the cotter pins on the upper ball joints in parallel to the axle: ie the folded apart ends are against the inner face of the knuckle and the closed end is facing the centerline of the rig .... bastages

See pic
16c95b8b984c0acea2260c01e58a06dc

I have spent the better part of three hours trying to extract the pin. I have managed to straighten the bent over part but I cannot nudge the pin. Yes I have tightened and loosened the castle nut. Yes I have used vent needle nose pliers to try to wiggle it out. Yes, I have tried gun cleaning hooks to try to start the thing out so I can grab it with pliers.

I called it quits before I got out the black powder and caps .....

I am open to suggestions before I tear everything down (which will delay me as I don’t have the seals for the wheel bearings). I thought about sticking mig wire on the pin (the pin is steel) but doubt I can be that precise. Have thought about industrial epoxying a fragment of an old cotter pin to the head.

I really want to run down to the plant (about an hour away) and find the SOB that was assembling front suspensions the day mine was built and kick is as- around the plant ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m in the process of installing the arched SuperATV front a arms on my P1K. I’ve got new Honda ball joints pressed into the new arms and I am in the process of removing the OE a arms.

The goal is to remove that a arms and replace with the new ones as described in the P1K service manual. This does not require disassembling the hub from the steering knuckle and the axle from the hub. However the DA that installed the front suspension on my P1K put the cotter pins on the upper ball joints in parallel to the axle: ie the folded apart ends are against the inner face of the knuckle and the closed end is facing the centerline of the rig .... bastages

See pic
View attachment 61321

I have spent the better part of three hours trying to extract the pin. I have managed to straighten the bent over part but I cannot nudge the pin. Yes I have tightened and loosened the castle nut. Yes I have used vent needle nose pliers to try to wiggle it out. Yes, I have tried gun cleaning hooks to try to start the thing out so I can grab it with pliers.

I called it quits before I got out the black powder and caps .....

I am open to suggestions before I tear everything down (which will delay me as I don’t have the seals for the wheel bearings). I thought about sticking mig wire on the pin (the pin is steel) but doubt I can be that precise. Have thought about industrial epoxying a fragment of an old cotter pin to the head.

I really want to run down to the plant (about an hour away) and find the SOB that was assembling front suspensions the day mine was built and kick is as- around the plant ....

Dremel with a cutoff wheel.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
grab on to it lightly with a pair of dykes (side cutters) close to the nut and slowly move the handles in a way that pulls it out

There is not enough sticking out for me to do that .....

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a small screwdriver to pry it out enough to get a set if side cutters on it. PITA but itll work.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I helped replace an axleon the trail at the Overland Adventure, I just turned the nut and it cut the cotter pin flush with the bolt. Then used a punch to remove the remaining part in the hole before reinstalling

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
If all else fails,If you can tap a socket or wrench on to the nut just loosen the nut. May have to put a breaker bar on it. 90% on the time it will shear off both ends of the pin. Then when you get it apart take a small pin punch and poke out the remaining cotter that’s left.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I helped replace an axleon the trail at the Overland Adventure, I just turned the nut and it cut the cotter pin flush with the bolt. Then used a punch to remove the remaining part in the hole before reinstalling

If all else fails,If you can tap a socket or wrench on to the nut just loosen the nut. May have to put a breaker bar on it. 90% on the time it will shear off both ends of the pin. Then when you get it apart take a small pin punch and poke out the remaining cotter that’s left.

I may give that a shot. Issue is clearances. The castle nut in question is the one on the right in the picture in my first post. There is so little room there that it is all I can do to get a 17mm combination wrench in there.

Reactions: pct and swsebek
advertisement
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota

Sorry don’t know how I missed Tramguages post! Same thing

Reactions: pct and Tramguage1
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry don’t know how I missed Tramguages post! Same thing

Just got done with the install of the arched a arms today, straightened out tail end of cotter pin, took an awl pried the loop end out of the castle nut slot, with a another screw driver pried the awl out with the cotter pin intact. Harbor Freight has a ball joint puller that doesn't ruin the ball joint for $ 19.50. Works great. Bottom ball joint came apart with out puller on both sides, top ball joints, a whole different story.

Reactions: my99svt
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Straighten the bent side a little bit, push it back just a bit and get a dykes on it. Squeeze the dykes and pry sideways. Just did mine last week. If you have no other choice remove them with a 6 point socket and just shear the pin off

Reactions: pct
J

JTW

I’ve drilled them out before when I couldn’t get in there to them.. never fails. It’s always in the most awkward position.

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
Just got done with the install of the arched a arms today, straightened out tail end of cotter pin, took an awl pried the loop end out of the castle nut slot, with a another screw driver pried the awl out with the cotter pin intact. Harbor Freight has a ball joint puller that doesn't ruin the ball joint for $ 19.50. Works great. Bottom ball joint came apart with out puller on both sides, top ball joints, a whole different story.

You did the install yourself? I thought you were having it done?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You did the install yourself? I thought you were having it done?
I watched Joe install Nicks rear A arms and it was bothering me how it went together, like I cleaned and greased every bolt that didn't have a grease zerk, made template for A arm guards and I really wanted to understand how they were made and adjustments, I've got a pretty good understanding now. Snuff's instructions are great, gets you real close, I got final adjustments to be made, camber front and rear and looks like I have toe in in the rear. Be kinda like you having someone do some wiring for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: pct and nbomar
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!