P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sheared off my Right upper ball joint this weekend. All I was doing was turning off the trail into the bush and it popped. I went over a few smaller logs at zero speed a little earlier, but I don't know what made it break.

I have 30s on it, and I added 1.5" spacers a few months back. I've seen people curse the spacers, and now I'm starting to question my decision.

Searching all the threads here, people seem to like the oem joints. But I'm looking at those $80 SATV HD joints and thinking it may be worth the peace of mind.

The joint gave me no indication it was failing. No wobble, no noise - that's kind of discomforting. I'd hate to have one blow at speed!

So I'm looking for some feedback on the SATV HD joints vs standard, and whether it'd be necessary to replace all uppers and lowers or can I maybe just do the uppers for now? It seems like they're probably taking more pressure from the spacers, or am I wrong?

Reactions: TripleB
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll be honest thats kinda impressive usually they rip the ball out of the socket not shear off . Are those after market control arms?

Reactions: P1K5Dave
D

DDDonkey

Impressive I have wore some out but never sheared any. I have no experience with the SATV ones, I have found the OEM’s fine with my portals and 35’s.

Reactions: P1K5Dave
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll be honest thats kinda impressive usually they rip the ball out of the socket not shear off . Are those after market control arms?
Highlifter forward arms, 2.5 highlifter bracket lift.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Highlifter forward arms, 2.5 highlifter bracket lift.
That makes more sense i perfer oe suspension parts over aftermarket. More than likely a Chinese ball joint. Oe are always more trustworthy.

Reactions: Smitty335
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had customers leave mad at me because I will not install Amazon or ebay chassis parts. I've seen crap like that happen alot on trucks. Oe or moog on autos only!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes more sense i perfer oe suspension parts over aftermarket. More than likely a Chinese ball joint. Oe are always more trustworthy.
That's a thought. I assumed they were oem joints but I can't be sure what the po did when they put in the highlifter arms. I did put a new oem in to replace it so far.

I wonder if you can tell by any markings?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I sheared off my Right upper ball joint this weekend. All I was doing was turning off the trail into the bush and it popped. I went over a few smaller logs at zero speed a little earlier, but I don't know what made it break.

I have 30s on it, and I added 1.5" spacers a few months back. I've seen people curse the spacers, and now I'm starting to question my decision.

Searching all the threads here, people seem to like the oem joints. But I'm looking at those $80 SATV HD joints and thinking it may be worth the peace of mind.

The joint gave me no indication it was failing. No wobble, no noise - that's kind of discomforting. I'd hate to have one blow at speed!

So I'm looking for some feedback on the SATV HD joints vs standard, and whether it'd be necessary to replace all uppers and lowers or can I maybe just do the uppers for now? It seems like they're probably taking more pressure from the spacers, or am I wrong?View attachment 234336
I'd be willing to bet whoever you bought it from pressed the joints in using a socket/pipe/etc on the outer lip of the OEM ball joint and stressed/cracked it. When I was pressing a new OEM joint into my SATV arms (I had just done the other side with no issue) the lip started to rip off which caused the joint to start to go in crooked. That's the only way I could see that shearing off like in your picture. They probably just mashed it on in there.

IMG 20200222 083150

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From everything I've read I would avoid SATV tie rods and ball joints. If you want a heavy duty one Keller makes an awesome set

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DDDonkey
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd be willing to bet whoever you bought it from pressed the joints in using a socket/pipe/etc on the outer lip of the OEM ball joint and stressed/cracked it. When I was pressing a new OEM joint into my SATV arms (I had just done the other side with no issue) the lip started to rip off which caused the joint to start to go in crooked. That's the only way I could see that shearing off like in your picture. They probably just mashed it on in there.

View attachment 234376
I did the same thing. I just figured it was me rushing through the install. I forced mine the rest of the way in and rode it a few times before it was falling apart and I had to change it again lol.

Reactions: Adam490 and TripleB
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From everything I've read I would avoid SATV tie rods and ball joints. If you want a heavy duty one Keller makes an awesome set

Tell me more...I haven't heard anything negative about the joints. Usually you see posts about avoiding hd tie rods, I agree.

Satv says their joints are stronger than keller

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tell me more...I haven't heard anything negative about the joints. Usually you see posts about avoiding hd tie rods, I agree.

You could be right. I may be mistaken thinking of their tie rods. I know those are junk.

H

HondaTech

Half the time the ball joints aren't even press fit, they just fall in the hole and are loose as hell. Don't know whether it's the hole in the arm is too big or the baljoint is undersized.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Those ball joints are stout. No worries there. We did a redesign on them a year or so ago, and they're the best out there for the Honda's. If the ball joint is loose in the hole, the hole is wallered out or just out of spec. We changed up the arms about 2 years ago and they all have chromoly ball joint hole plates now. Plus, they have a pretty good warranty. Hit me up of you need some. I'll get you the discount.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I circled the sheared off stud just because it's hard to make heads or tails of these pics sometimes.

You see the upper a-arm laying across the brake line, and the end of it ripped up the CV boot.

Total damage:
New upper ball joint
New brake hose
New CV boot kit

I actually went ahead and replaced the axle with a Rhino 2.0, so I can keep this axle as a spare next time I mess something up. It's an oem axle I just replaced 11 days before this incident.

1107201400 kindlephoto 89136

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
My p500 has 4,050 miles on it. 27” tires and 2” spacers on all four. About due for ball joints. They have some slop in them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!