BOX1

Battery box issues

shakemandril

shakemandril

Jul 27, 2014
Four Corners
Trying to install a winch on my "one ride old" Honda. Having trouble getting the top bolt out of the battery cover due to a terrible design. The bolt has a "washer" style nut that has plastic that is supposed to hold it captive. I put my 10mm wrench on it and it broke out the captive plastic (with very little effort) and none of the pliers I own are capable of holding the washer nut to get the bolt out while the box is attached to the vehicle. I am curious if anyone has removed the battery box? I can't get some of the plugs from the harness's to come out which is more frustrating than the issue that caused this whole mess. Being unable to remove the battery box is leading to a vicious circle that makes me want to have a $9000 bonfire. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been there trying to get my headlight off. Totally sucks. I finally managed to get a pair of needle nose vice grips on it. And after a bit of WD-40 I got it off.

A303804e720e576ff83ea5d3180bd8e8

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at this, It looks like you might can loosen the entire box without removing the lid. Then, maybe you get better access to the backside.
HL54F3700A

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Trying to install a winch on my "one ride old" Honda. Having trouble getting the top bolt out of the battery cover due to a terrible design. The bolt has a "washer" style nut that has plastic that is supposed to hold it captive. I put my 10mm wrench on it and it broke out the captive plastic (with very little effort) and none of the pliers I own are capable of holding the washer nut to get the bolt out while the box is attached to the vehicle. I am curious if anyone has removed the battery box? I can't get some of the plugs from the harness's to come out which is more frustrating than the issue that caused this whole mess. Being unable to remove the battery box is leading to a vicious circle that makes me want to have a $9000 bonfire. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.
How much clearance room do you have on the "washer nut" side? If you have 1 Inch or more you can use a FORD Wrench? I think that is what i would try. it will hold it like a vise but not damage your "nut washer" and you will be able to get some force on it!! if you need a pic of a FORD Wrench email me a phone number and ill text you a picture.

shakemandril

shakemandril

Jul 27, 2014
Four Corners
Thanks for the ideas guys! I was able to take the battery box loose enough to get more room and get it out. The bolt didnt appear to have locktite but it sure gave a loud snap when it let loose. Maybe Honda should consider lowering their torque down a few pounds??

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the ideas guys! I was able to take the battery box loose enough to get more room and get it out. The bolt didnt appear to have locktite but it sure gave a loud snap when it let loose. Maybe Honda should consider lowering their torque down a few pounds??
My cigarette lighter plug quit working. Wouldn’t you know the top bolt in the battery box is giving me fits. This is a piss poor setup. I”LOL try again another day.

Reactions: Chooglin
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!