P500 Battery Choices

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

I'm starting to notice more battery choices for the P500. The two lithium ion batteries at Dennis Kirk look interesting. The $200 holds its charge for a year and has 315 CCA. The $144 lithium ion battery also holds its charges for a year and comes with a free charger and they're both lightweight. Anyone have experience with any of the higher performance batteries?

2015 Honda SXS500M2 Pioneer 500 Batteries & Battery Parts - Dennis Kirk, Inc.

Reactions: trigger and rocmar
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I called to have the lithium-ion battery suppliers and talk to them about my use and they would not recommend it for a side-by-side that would use a winch, heavy lighting or stereos. They basically told me this is for motorcycles and quads and starting only.

I recently needed a battery and I went to my local O'Reilly auto parts and they had an exact match for a pioneer 1000. They probably have one for the 500 also. It was nice being able to go in my hometown and buy a battery and have a good warranty and local service.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I purchased the Super Start Extreme AGM. It was a $100 battery and they had cheaper options.

I just looked it up and it looks like they have a one-year warranty. I really thought the guy told me it was 18 months or 24 month warranty.

CP: I've been saying that since that jack wagon was picking Legos from his turds:)

D

Deleted member 3748

I called to have the lithium-ion battery suppliers and talk to them about my use and they would not recommend it for a side-by-side that would use a winch, heavy lighting or stereos.

I use all of those things!

Thanks for the good info, @joeymt33 . I don't need a new battery yet, but if a good, high performance battery was available I'd be interested.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I went into a weight reduction and lower center of gravity mode early this spring by switching over to synthetic rope and chopping the cage. I also have plans to remove the hardtop and replace it with a soft top to help center of gravity. I remove my high out mirrors and removed three lights from up high. I wanted so badly to upgrade lithium ion batteries and reduce about 40 pounds of weight up front but I couldn't find anybody that would warrantee the battery for my type of use.

I'm not saying you can't do it I just wanted to give you the information after researching the idea.

D

Deleted member 3748

I also found this in the battery manual.

Capture

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I called to have the lithium-ion battery suppliers and talk to them about my use and they would not recommend it for a side-by-side that would use a winch, heavy lighting or stereos. They basically told me this is for motorcycles and quads and starting only.

I recently needed a battery and I went to my local O'Reilly auto parts and they had an exact match for a pioneer 1000. They probably have one for the 500 also. It was nice being able to go in my hometown and buy a battery and have a good warranty and local service.
Your the 3rd guy..I've heard say that...
about..big loads on ...lithium batteries

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Speaking of batteries , I still have the OEM 2015 battery that came in my ride. I put a battery tender on it every now and then.
Whats the life expectancy on these batteries? Since I only get out every three months or so mine has not been used a whole lot. Which could be worse.
As I have said in the past, I envy you guys who can ride weekly. My 500 turned two last month and dose not have 400 miles on it.
It sucks trust me

D

Deleted member 3748

Speaking of batteries , I still have the OEM 2015 battery that came in my ride. I put a battery tender on it every now and then.
Whats the life expectancy on these batteries? Since I only get out every three months or so mine has not been used a whole lot. Which could be worse.
As I have said in the past, I envy you guys who can ride weekly. My 500 turned two last month and dose not have 400 miles on it.
It sucks trust me
I still have the original 2015 battery too. I ride often and the battery charge has never been low. Draining and charging the battery will kill it fast. I expect this battery to last 5+ years as long as I don't abuse it.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
It sucks trust me
Hot & cold...
takes its toll...on small
batteries...
in cold months..I keep
...mine on trickle charger

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!