P500 Put Battery under the hood

S

slow poke

Sep 11, 2021
pike county ky
Ownership

1. 500
placed a battery box under the hood. bought a 12 v. lawn mower battery,
ran whip lights off the battery, horn off the single battery, turn signals too!
but must re charge when back home. has it own power supply,
just in case a power failure out in the woods, i have an extra battery to boost off hopefully
so far no problem
just recharge after I get back home your thoughts?
I forgot even the wench and fog lights too dont know how long the battery will last mainly for a back up
thought id try it any way

Reactions: duhmojo
duhmojo

duhmojo

Jun 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Pics of how you secured the battery under the hood?

I know there's a backup/dual battery mod that uses the TRUE cut over kit: TrueAm UTV-SBI-18CM UTV Dual Battery Isolator Kit

I have no experience with it, but the alternator should help keep it charged, and you'll have a much higher capacity from a single battery wiring setup. Plus the voltage meter will show both batteries so you know if you even need to charge.

I'm sure others with this mod will chime in.

• Love
Reactions: slow poke
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
placed a battery box under the hood. bought a 12 v. lawn mower battery,
ran whip lights off the battery, horn off the single battery, turn signals too!
but must re charge when back home. has it own power supply,
just in case a power failure out in the woods, i have an extra battery to boost off hopefully
so far no problem
just recharge after I get back home your thoughts?
I forgot even the wench and fog lights too dont know how long the battery will last mainly for a back up
thought id try it any way

You have the right idea, just need to wire it in. Two good size cables between the two batteries and you'll be wired in parallel which basically makes them one big battery. Ran a Die Hard lawn mower battery with the stocker for 5 yrs that way. Mine was under the seat though.

S

slow poke

Sep 11, 2021
pike county ky
Ownership

1. 500
You have the right idea, just need to wire it in. Two good size cables between the two batteries and you'll be wired in parallel which basically makes them one big battery. Ran a Die Hard lawn mower battery with the stocker for 5 yrs that way. Mine was under the seat though.
understood I see where others having shifting problems with voltage issues, so thought id try it so far so good thanks for the input

S

slow poke

Sep 11, 2021
pike county ky
Ownership

1. 500
Pics of how you secured the battery under the hood?

I know there's a backup/dual battery mod that uses the TRUE cut over kit: TrueAm UTV-SBI-18CM UTV Dual Battery Isolator Kit

I have no experience with it, but the alternator should help keep it charged, and you'll have a much higher capacity from a single battery wiring setup. Plus the voltage meter will show both batteries so you know if you even need to charge.

I'm sure others with this mod will chime in.
yes understood thought about it . but a friend of mine said its risky i not sure , but really mostly just in case me and the wife gets out and the battery go's dead have a way of starting back up
was the orginal plan, and having an extra battery for a boost if needed but started adding the extras on the back up battery
I seen the kits but not sure if i want to go that way
may put too much stress on the stator? maybe? thanks for the reply love my p 500.

Last edited:
S

slow poke

Sep 11, 2021
pike county ky
Ownership

1. 500
yes understood thought about it . but a friend of mine said its risky i not sure , but really mostely just in case me and the wife gets out and the battery go's dead have a way of starting back up
was the orginal plan, .
I seen the kits but not sure if i want to go that way
may put too much stress on the stator? maybe? thanks for the reply love my p 500
I dont have a way of taking picture I tell you it work's great though strapped the box to the cross member and placed the battery in it secured it with sponge on the sides and so far so good lol

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
S

slow poke

Sep 11, 2021
pike county ky
Ownership

1. 500
Just wondering folks when going down a hill using the brakes in low gear, there a clanking noise from the back
I changed the pads and that not a problem every thing tight
but on the normal ride no issues just in riding the brakes on a down ward hill just wondering?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
A simple alternative for peace of mind.
DEFFCE1C BC18 4CD3 91B6 44F57A626ED6

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just wondering folks when going down a hill using the brakes in low gear, there a clanking noise from the back
I changed the pads and that not a problem every thing tight
but on the normal ride no issues just in riding the brakes on a down ward hill just wondering?

It's gear clatter, they all do it.

Reactions: Bmurray
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!