P1000 Bear's shop projects - A tinkerers guide to tinkering.

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you, that means a lot! Keeps me inspired and keeps me creative knowing people appreciate what goes into doing these projects. The temperature isn't going above freezing for a bit.. so it's going to take some time to do the body work on the bed cap and get that finished up along with the hardware I ordered to lock the hatch.

Here's a pic of the locking stainless T handles I chose for the topper project:

T handle

I think they will look the part with a flat black background paint. I'm considering some other finishing touches to make the topper look and perform as rugged as the Pioneer.

Reactions: BWAF
BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I cleaned out the shed last weekend, and put a couple old motorcycle parts in the garage to determine their fate. As I'm walking past the Pioneer I almost tripped on a set of bars. No sooner I thought; "I should just throw them out there's no use for th........"

I had this vision. I had the image of a deluxe model pioneer in my mind when I saw the shape of the handlebars.

I'm waiting for warmer weather to do any work on the bed box it's just not something you can do when it's 20 degrees outside. The rear bumper could be back as early as tomorrow from the powder coating place. Will update photos then.

For now, this is what I tripped on, and this is what it may become:

DSC05997
DSC05999
DSC05998

Can you believe how scratched up that front bumper is? I bought it this way. When this is done, that may go ahead and get powder coated too.

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Can't install it tonight as I'm spread too thin at the moment.. just posting a quick pic. The bumper is cat approved apparently.

The powder coating place did a good job, and they put exactly the color I wanted on.. black but not flat, not glossy. There is a method to all this madness. The paint I chose for the bed cap, should match this almost perfectly.

Pic:

Bumper cat

Gonna be a long weekend. Since I work at a facility that requires I show up no matter what a foot of snow is no excuse. I hope all of you stay safe out there and enjoy your pioneers!

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just a little update. The weather hasn't been conducive to doing any sort of body-work at this point on the bed cover, however I did let a friend test drive the pioneer. I forgot that the bed cover was just resting on the bed, and not secured. When we took off down the street, the whole thing fell off onto the pavement at 40 mph. It's all in 1 piece, but the bottom is crushed in a few places. Not sure at this point how I will proceed with the project with the damages. Need warmer weather to motivate me.

On another note, I've got no shortage of shop projects as I bought a 1999 slk 230 supercharged coupe to cut up for parts. This is a priority at this point because cold or not, my reciprocating saw, and cutoff wheels don't care about the weather. Gotta get some cash flowing in order to do more projects!

Slkcut2

Cutting off the entire front of a car sure makes removing the engine a breeze! Also gives somebody who crashed their car a nice complete radiator support to purchase!

I shall return!

BearWoods

BearWoods

Dec 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well looks like the weather may finally be starting to turn.

Hopefully we see night time temps staying above freezing soon so I can get back to work on the bed cover project. It's 19 degrees at the moment, so still not possible for me to do body work but in the mean time.. here's a photo of what's left after I'm done stripping a car to sell the parts. I leave no crumbs for the mice.

How is this pioneer related you wonder? I'm demonstrating how I make fun money to pay for toys like the pioneer and it's upgrades. Work work work work work. The day job is by force, the side jobs are by FUN!~

I will post another update as soon as I get back out in the garage.
Leftovers

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great way to make a little side cash. Hopefully weather turns soon, I’d like to see what you got coming next

Reactions: Chevy412SP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!