P500 Being waist full or totally worth it? Stock tire question.

A

Austin179

May 18, 2019
Ownership

1. 500
Just picked up a new 2018 P500 and haven’t had it off road yet. Looking at the stock tires vs all the tires I see people on this site are running, I feel like the stock tires are a joke. I haven’t seen anything where people are saying they like the stock tires and size and they work just fine. I pretty much feel like all I see is that tires are a huge upgrade. So my real question is..... should I buy new tires now or run the stock ones till they wear out?
I know tires and conditions go hand in hand when choosing a tire so I’m not asking which tire should I buy. Just asking if people have had good luck with the stock tires. However, I will say, our property is either dry hard pack where any tire is fine OR sloppy slick mud (not deep tho) and slick roots.
Any input on the stock tires would be appreciated.

B4C2989B 33C5 40A9 96B6 5C2F09BB2078

happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
56917914 2958244030867272 6847447148624084992 n
I bought my P500 in Feb. The stock tires are ok for what I do..hauling logs, hunting, trail riding, not much mudding. So, I'm going to replace when they're half gone. I put the money in to the Honda soft top/back, doors and full wind screen.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Stock tires will get the job done but a little bigger and more aggressive tire helps a lot. Rides better and improved traction. I bought a set of big horn knockoffs for $220 and sold my old ones for $80. You don’t have to spend a lot to get a big improvement.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Just picked up a new 2018 P500 and haven’t had it off road yet. Looking at the stock tires vs all the tires I see people on this site are running, I feel like the stock tires are a joke. I haven’t seen anything where people are saying they like the stock tires and size and they work just fine. I pretty much feel like all I see is that tires are a huge upgrade. So my real question is..... should I buy new tires now or run the stock ones till they wear out?
I know tires and conditions go hand in hand when choosing a tire so I’m not asking which tire should I buy. Just asking if people have had good luck with the stock tires. However, I will say, our property is either dry hard pack where any tire is fine OR sloppy slick mud (not deep tho) and slick roots.

View attachment 130897
Welcome! The best reason to go aftermarket is a better ride and traction. If it’s muddy or deep snow that’s where taller,better made tires shine. If you don’t care about looks and don’t drive fast or in challenging conditions stock tires are ok.

A

Austin179

May 18, 2019
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the reply’s. I don’t plan on doing any serious off roading or anything crazy. I guess my question comes from me driving a Z71 Chevy 2500. It comes with Goodyear road tires from the factory. I bought one in 2016 and got stuck in light sand in 4x4 the first time I took it out. I now have a 2018 Z71 2500 and the first thing I did was put tires on it. The tires on the new P500 don’t look terrible, but if I’m gunna get stuck the first time I go out then I’d rather replace them now.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
tires are always the first thing I buy, the originals look like they would get stuck on any log or rut, in the mud especially being open front. you can get around always hanging the bottom with taller tires, so it depends what you have, rocks and trees you need taller and better.

Reactions: Austin179
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Depending on where you mostly ride on staying with stock vs. aftermarket, but my stock tires did not do the job so I replaced them after one ride.

Reactions: Austin179
O

Oregonkirk

Dec 24, 2017
John Day, Oregon
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 130897
I have over 1,000 miles on my stock tires. No issues at all other then maybe ground clearance. I will upgrade to 27" tires in the future.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
My $.02 with a 2018 like yours...after putting 500+ miles on the stock tires and then recently upgrading to 26" tires...
1. In my area, going up to a 26" tire made a big difference in ground clearance. Like HUGE difference. I used to hear the bottom banging off stuff every ride I went on. Now, it never bangs on stuff. Like 1" additional clearance made all the difference.
2. My speedometer is accurate now. Before I was going slower in reality than what my speedo read. So I get a little more velocity out of each gear.
3. It looks SO MUCH BETTER, and we men are visual. Seriously, it's more fun to drive it now just because it looks great.
4. My stock tires never left me hanging, and I never got stuck or stranded with the stockers, but these tires do have more traction than the originals, and I can feel it.
We're all proud of our individual setup. Here's mine:

ShotgunClay

ShotgunClay

Mar 13, 2018
Founders Ranch New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Most of my riding (its a work vehicle) is on hard packed dirt, with some not very demanding offroad through woods and fields. The stock tires are fine for this, and even worked well in snow (although more clearance would have been nice the few times I got too deep). We only had bad mud for a couple weeks and they will slip and slide but never got stuck. Have about 2400 miles on the stock and figure they will go for probably another 1000. Once they go, I plan on going with a set up like SouthwestORV has in the above post.

RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I might be in the minority but I have a new set of wheels and tires to a Pioneer 500 I don't even own yet. I wish the dealership would just sell it to me with no wheels and tires.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I might be in the minority but I have a new set of wheels and tires to a Pioneer 500 I don't even own yet. I wish the dealership would just sell it to me with no wheels and tires.
I’m excited for you to get one!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!