P500 Being waist full or totally worth it? Stock tire question.

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
The Bighorns came in today. Wow, these things look huge next to stock tires. Am glad I went with 26 inch and not 27. Perhaps the size difference would be less stark in a different brand that runs smaller. No way these won't soak up some power. I'll need to Jack the p5 higher to get the new tires on. Hopefully my 1.5 inch spacers arrive tonight and I can test out the new setup on Sunday. Gave it its first oil change last night. Not hard at all with the guidance on this forum.

20190614 180555 20190614 180712 20190614 180756

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The Bighorns came in today. Wow, these things look huge next to stock tires. Am glad I went with 26 inch and not 27. Perhaps the size difference would be less stark in a different brand that runs smaller. No way these won't soak up some power. I'll need to Jack the p5 higher to get the new tires on. Hopefully my 1.5 inch spacers arrive tonight and I can test out the new setup on Sunday. Gave it its first oil change last night. Not hard at all with the guidance on this forum.

View attachment 135722 View attachment 135723 View attachment 135724

Nice! Yeah the 2.0's run big, 26.5 is what's listed. You'll be surprised, they won't rob you of power bad at all. It'll definitely be tippy until you get those spacers on. Why is your ride two different colors?

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Nice! Yeah the 2.0's run big, 26.5 is what's listed. You'll be surprised, they won't rob you of power bad at all. It'll definitely be tippy until you get those spacers on. Why is your ride two different colors?

Looking forward to testing this Sunday. There are two P5s. His and hers. Hers will stay stock and be transformed into a Talon next year.

Reactions: trigger
P

PNWGuy

I took my stock P500 out on it's first trail run last summer and bottomed out a few times, hit a few logs and sticks, and generally wasn't happy with the performance.

Upgraded to 26" Wanda tires for about $275 for a set.

Very much noticeable improvement in ground clearance and ride. Worth every penny. Next set will be the same size, but might go to a less aggressive tread since I rarely encounter deep mud and like to putt around town quite often.

4GJjBFG7TsG6l09BuSQlJQ

0wVtCoO7Sp i9fHbsNq9 g

JNqL76jySuafAW7pcvmHhQ

jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Took them out today. Spacers did not arrive in time, but nobody died, so all is good.

First impression on the tires is that there is a marked difference in responsiveness on pavement. There is a noticeable loss of torque, but it's not dogged down. Just doesn't have that jerk off the start like it does on stock tires. Also on pavement, the taller sidewalls allow for much more body roll on turns.

Now for off road...The loss in torque is less noticeable - at least in terms of ride ability if that makes any sense. For example, there was nothing I was unable to do and the machine did not feel under powered. However, I did use first gear in some places where it would have been overkill before. Now, my perspective is based on this being only my fourth ride and this is the first time to ride where we did. There was more sand and clay and less rock at this place than other places I have ridden. The ride was definitely smoother than with stock tires, 10 psi both cases. Traction was great. I am not too sure on ground clearance. the skid plate is now about 1.25 inches higher than stock. But, everywhere my wife hit with her stock machine, I also hit. Probably not as hard. I think it helped, but I didn't ride hers at all to make a direct comparison. That is because I did not wish to experience the harshness from the stock tires that is much reduced from the bigger tires.

Now for spacers...I'll get them during the week and will put them on before my next ride. I didn't feel more tippy with the taller tires today. The only "high speed" turns I took today were very bermed. Considering the increased body roll on pavement, I suppose the tippyness may show itself on a different trail. I actually had more confidence in and around deep ruts today. That could be a result of having more time behind the wheel. Maybe some placebo affect from the bigger tires. As mucky as it was today, I was glad that the wheels were under the fenders though. Will be a little dirtier with the spacers as I don't foresee fender extension in my future.

On trailer

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
tires are always the first thing I buy, the originals look like they would get stuck on any log or rut, in the mud especially being open front. you can get around always hanging the bottom with taller tires, so it depends what you have, rocks and trees you need taller and better.
I ran my stock tires for 2,000 miles. They weren’t bald when I replaced them.

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
26.5 Bigfoots were my first buy....and then Walker Evans shocks...wouldn't ride a P5 without both the shocks and the new tires.

gmacaluso

gmacaluso

Sep 16, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 135722 View attachment 135723 View attachment 135724
Were these original BH's or BH2's? Did you do spacers + a different offset or just the spacers? I see you got what looks like 14" wheels ... reason? Will you change the shocks or other suspension items?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!