Multi Best Machine for Physically Disabled Person

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys,
My name is David Carroll and I had a car accident in 1991 which left me with a spinal injury.
I'm a C-7 incomplete quadriplegic which means I can move certain parts of my body and some i can not. i can use my right leg for the gas and brake. I do use a steering knob. It makes it easier to steer as I travel down the twist ant turns. I own a p1000-5 which has a flat seat that I transfer to from my Wheelchair. I can get on my lift from the van and get to the right height to transfer over if I'm at a riding park or get on my front porch which is the right height to do a transfer when i want to ride local. It sounds to me that the 700 or 1000 would be a great fit for him. That is one reason i choose the 1000-5. Great SXS!!!
Any questions just ask
Name rings a bell ...... you were not raised in La, where you?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hey guys,
My name is David Carroll and I had a car accident in 1991 which left me with a spinal injury.
I'm a C-7 incomplete quadriplegic which means I can move certain parts of my body and some i can not. i can use my right leg for the gas and brake. I do use a steering knob. It makes it easier to steer as I travel down the twist ant turns. I own a p1000-5 which has a flat seat that I transfer to from my Wheelchair. I can get on my lift from the van and get to the right height to transfer over if I'm at a riding park or get on my front porch which is the right height to do a transfer when i want to ride local. It sounds to me that the 700 or 1000 would be a great fit for him. That is one reason i choose the 1000-5. Great SXS!!!
Any questions just ask

Thanks for the advice! I keep thinking the 700 or 1000 is the way to go. I haven't yet seen how easily he can get in my 1000 but I would think if he could do that, the 700 would be a bit easier.

tigerj

tigerj

Nov 27, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heres something i've been thinking about for a while and hadn't thought until now to ask my genius fellow Hondasxs members.

Someone I know has a physical disability - he can walk (with a walker), but very slowly with very little flexibility in his hips and knees. This makes it very difficult for him to get around, and in and out of vehicles. He has a side by side but hasn't used it since his disability has worsened. It is too tall for him and he can't really get in and out without a stool.

To the best of my knowledge, here are the qualifications the machine would need:
1. Obviously, easy to get in and out of. Flat floor at the door sill (can't get feet over a raised rocker)
2. Bucket seats won't work
3. More off road capable than a golf cart with big tires (4x4 is a must)
4. Fairly low seat height would be better.
5. 40 - 45 mph would be nice, but he doesn't need a ton of speed.
6. power steering
7. at least 2 seats
8. sport machines need not apply

I would love to see him get to enjoy himself riding a side by side again.
Does anyone here have any advice? I think he would really like a pioneer 700 but would have to get him to try one out. Before dragging him somewhere to look, I want to have a plan to see where we should focus first.

Im sure at least some of you know someone in a similar situation, so i'd like to hear your experiences.
i bought my 1000-5 for similar reasons though not as severe
chose the 1000 vs 700 bc im 6'2"

it's easier to drive than my golf carts.
my left side goes weak, hand and leg so this was surprising and important
way more fun!

have had a polaris ranger electric, did not hold up over time.

this christmas i did much research into bad boy buggies, beast gold carts, owners wouldn't even sell one to me due to water + solenoids.

those machines just don't do well w even little bits of water (plus the maintenance w batteries)

1000-5 is roomy
can always take off doors if needed for transfer

hope all goes well. i couldn't be happier, feel like i got a little bit of my independence back!

huge shift in mood for sure being able to bop about

K

Kathleen

Dec 25, 2019
Montesano wa
Ownership

1. 500
Heres something i've been thinking about for a while and hadn't thought until now to ask my genius fellow Hondasxs members.

Someone I know has a physical disability - he can walk (with a walker), but very slowly with very little flexibility in his hips and knees. This makes it very difficult for him to get around, and in and out of vehicles. He has a side by side but hasn't used it since his disability has worsened. It is too tall for him and he can't really get in and out without a stool.

To the best of my knowledge, here are the qualifications the machine would need:
1. Obviously, easy to get in and out of. Flat floor at the door sill (can't get feet over a raised rocker)
2. Bucket seats won't work
3. More off road capable than a golf cart with big tires (4x4 is a must)
4. Fairly low seat height would be better.
5. 40 - 45 mph would be nice, but he doesn't need a ton of speed.
6. power steering
7. at least 2 seats
8. sport machines need not apply

I would love to see him get to enjoy himself riding a side by side again.
Does anyone here have any advice? I think he would really like a pioneer 700 but would have to get him to try one out. Before dragging him somewhere to look, I want to have a plan to see where we should focus first.

Im sure at least some of you know someone in a similar situation, so i'd like to hear your experiences.

Hello, our daughter has cerebral palsy but loves cars and has always wanted to drive. We bought her the 500 and she is learning to handle it well. It seems to have most of the qualifications you are looking for. I hope you find something for your friend as our Pioneer has opened up so many possibilities for our disabled daughter.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the advice! I keep thinking the 700 or 1000 is the way to go. I haven't yet seen how easily he can get in my 1000 but I would think if he could do that, the 700 would be a bit easier.
look at a 16 1000, or 16 & older 700. Those years did not have the dumb intrusion bar to get into the vehicle.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hello, our daughter has cerebral palsy but loves cars and has always wanted to drive. We bought her the 500 and she is learning to handle it well. It seems to have most of the qualifications you are looking for. I hope you find something for your friend as our Pioneer has opened up so many possibilities for our disabled daughter.

Thank you! I actually owned a 500 for a few years. He rented one out in Moab a couple years ago. I think he prefers a larger machine, and I think i remember him saying he didn't enjoy the rough shifting. I'm steering him away from the 500 because of the tippiness. He would do something stupid and roll it I'm sure.

That's awesome that your daughter is enjoying it! I loved my 500. It had over 4000 miles when I sold it. They are built to last!

Reactions: tr005 and Plumber32
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This whole thread reminds me of something. Any OG's here remember the guy with the blue 500 that had one arm? It was 3 or 4 years ago, right around when I got started here. I think he might have been bi-polar or something cuz one day he was cool, and the next he was fighting with someone. I think he got banned. Can't remember his name

Reactions: Plumber32
hondabob64

hondabob64

Oct 22, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
My handicap accessible 500. I’m a 56 yr old paraplegic. 29 yrs in chair. Hand controls, wheelchair lift on rear rack, power steering, Smittybilt winch for loading on & off tilt trailer w/ La Trailer Dog for securing unit. Any questions, call me Bobby Menefee at 318-518-6144, located in Shreveport Louisiana.

2DCAF294 C4DC 46F8 8AE0 360149491A09 66B2A300 9029 4963 8A1F 376D5882221B 87C3AB81 2940 4F61 81FF 4B397B427BA1 E03B79F5 2D50 4192 9AAB F4E3D56DE1B2

MikeyXX

MikeyXX

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2019
Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Can
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have similiar issues. I have a kubota diesel at home for snow and yard hauling. I also have my pioneer 1k which I'm happy with getting in and out of. Have him tour around trying seating positions.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!