ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Heres something i've been thinking about for a while and hadn't thought until now to ask my genius fellow Hondasxs members.

Someone I know has a physical disability - he can walk (with a walker), but very slowly with very little flexibility in his hips and knees. This makes it very difficult for him to get around, and in and out of vehicles. He has a side by side but hasn't used it since his disability has worsened. It is too tall for him and he can't really get in and out without a stool.

To the best of my knowledge, here are the qualifications the machine would need:
1. Obviously, easy to get in and out of. Flat floor at the door sill (can't get feet over a raised rocker)
2. Bucket seats won't work
3. More off road capable than a golf cart with big tires (4x4 is a must)
4. Fairly low seat height would be better.
5. 40 - 45 mph would be nice, but he doesn't need a ton of speed.
6. power steering
7. at least 2 seats
8. sport machines need not apply

I would love to see him get to enjoy himself riding a side by side again.
Does anyone here have any advice? I think he would really like a pioneer 700 but would have to get him to try one out. Before dragging him somewhere to look, I want to have a plan to see where we should focus first.

Im sure at least some of you know someone in a similar situation, so i'd like to hear your experiences.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heres something i've been thinking about for a while and hadn't thought until now to ask my genius fellow Hondasxs members.

Someone I know has a physical disability - he can walk (with a walker), but very slowly with very little flexibility in his hips and knees. This makes it very difficult for him to get around, and in and out of vehicles. He has a side by side but hasn't used it since his disability has worsened. It is too tall for him and he can't really get in and out without a stool.

To the best of my knowledge, here are the qualifications the machine would need:
1. Obviously, easy to get in and out of. Flat floor at the door sill (can't get feet over a raised rocker)
2. Bucket seats won't work
3. More off road capable than a golf cart with big tires (4x4 is a must)
4. Fairly low seat height would be better.
5. 40 - 45 mph would be nice, but he doesn't need a ton of speed.
6. power steering
7. at least 2 seats
8. sport machines need not apply

I would love to see him get to enjoy himself riding a side by side again.
Does anyone here have any advice? I think he would really like a pioneer 700 but would have to get him to try one out. Before dragging him somewhere to look, I want to have a plan to see where we should focus first.

Im sure at least some of you know someone in a similar situation, so i'd like to hear your experiences.
The 700 is always a good choice.

J

JTW

A Bad Boy Buggy might be the best choice..

4D0BBAF2 7399 4F42 9934 123E0B1DC800

tr005

tr005

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2017
Big Rapids, Mi.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I remember, there is a member on here who set his P1000 up with hand controls. Can’t think of his name but hopefully he can chime in and help you out. Or if someone knows him they can tag him.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The 700 is always a good choice.

I keep thinking that too... He is so hard on stuff and the 700's are bulletproof. I was looking at the little mules but they are totally gutless air cooled machines. I think they are kinda cool, but I don't believe they are as capable as they look.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
maybe a kabota will work

We had one of those actually. I love those machines for work. So heavy duty. He hated how when you lift the pedal it's like slamming the brakes. If I could afford to have two machines, I'd love a diesel kubota for plowing and working. And they are very slow... takes a quarter mile to get her to 25

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I keep thinking that too... He is so hard on stuff and the 700's are bulletproof. I was looking at the little mules but they are totally gutless air cooled machines. I think they are kinda cool, but I don't believe they are as capable as they look.
Kawasaki Mule FX Pro would be the way to go if you were going to get a mule, they are sweet!

Reactions: Backwoods
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a guy here in Ohio that modifies side by sides and other equipment for the disabled.
I tried a quick google search and came up empty. I remember linking from a friends facebook. If I come across his, I will let you know.

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I remember, there is a member on here who set his P1000 up with hand controls. Can’t think of his name but hopefully he can chime in and help you out. Or if someone knows him they can tag him.
I think it was @DavidCarroll

Reactions: TimG
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
The 7hundo’s are more than capable. ;) Everything has it’s limitations. If he’s rough on stuff it might be the way to go. It’s got that big torso bar to help and it’s lower to the ground than the 1K. Low maintenance and pretty simple. Get the deluxe and some foxies and your set. ;)

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
You can set any vehicle up with hand controls. If they arent very tall the 700 would be good machine but id say above 5'10" it wouldnt be. If we are talking about paraplegic that is. The short distance we have in the 700s could cause all kinds of issues with back of their legs getting burnt. Or their feet getting in the way of the pedals. Iv actually had lengthly discussions with my brother about setting him up in a 570 ranger cause of the height and convenience. Right now he is on a polaris sportsman 500. This is what he hunts off of.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TimG and Plumber32
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hand controls are not needed. Maybe someday but not right now.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I still kinda think the 700 would be ideal for him....if he is able to climb in the thing. That's really the main thing. I have a buddy with a 700-4. Maybe in the spring we can check it out and see if it will suit

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A Bad Boy Buggy might be the best choice..

View attachment 177174
Last year I was looking at electric cart for hunting and original thought was toward the BBB, even though I knew early models had a lot of problems. After doing a lot of research and joining www.buggiesgonewild.com I found that even the new ones can still be a real headache to maintain and determine the problem or make repairs. 99% of the experts there recommend just getting a more reliable 2wd brand and building it up to the specs you needed. With the high torque motor, good tires, and other HD components it will go all over the Ozark hills at hunting camp with no problem. It is not a 'pioneer', but it is SILENT ..... lol.

DavidCarroll

DavidCarroll

Nov 22, 2018
conyers ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys,
My name is David Carroll and I had a car accident in 1991 which left me with a spinal injury.
I'm a C-7 incomplete quadriplegic which means I can move certain parts of my body and some i can not. i can use my right leg for the gas and brake. I do use a steering knob. It makes it easier to steer as I travel down the twist ant turns. I own a p1000-5 which has a flat seat that I transfer to from my Wheelchair. I can get on my lift from the van and get to the right height to transfer over if I'm at a riding park or get on my front porch which is the right height to do a transfer when i want to ride local. It sounds to me that the 700 or 1000 would be a great fit for him. That is one reason i choose the 1000-5. Great SXS!!!
Any questions just ask

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ranger 570 or honda 700. Hate to admit but the ranger has a better ride and Polaris has taken care of a lot of wounded warriors, so handicap accessories are available I'm sure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!