Best tires for eastern/Midwest trails

Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not to beat a dead horse, but I’m still not 100% decided on which tires to run on my R. I live in Indiana and we take several trips to WV/TN as well. Just looking for reviews and opinions.

Plan on going 30s, same size all around and after reading several threads 5-2 offset. As of now I’m leaning black waters, but curious about m1 evils, carnivores, or any other ones. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: TimG and Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not to beat a dead horse, but I’m still not 100% decided on which tires to run on my R. I live in Indiana and we take several trips to WV/TN as well. Just looking for reviews and opinions.

Plan on going 30s, same size all around and after reading several threads 5-2 offset. As of now I’m leaning black waters, but curious about m1 evils, carnivores, or any other ones. Thanks in advance!
Look at the Terra Hooks, made by the same company that makes the Black Waters. Black Waters were the tires I replaced and were dang good tires, I like the Terra Hooks even more.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Carnivores are really popular in WV/ TN, but seeing more and more M1 evils as well has Super Grip K9 and Roctane X2's to make it even harder of a decision... but some of these dont come in a 15" rim so that can narrow it back down

R

rickoshea

carnivores are popular in my neck of the woods.hardpack forest service roads and organic mud.not much clay or hard rock.

Reactions: Ellinger and Isaiah
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m in the same boat, I say put them all on a dart board and close your eyes before you throw!
I like the following:

Roctane X2
Kanati Terramaster
System3 XTR 370
System3 XCR 350
Maxxis Rampage

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I chose to go with 29x9.5x15 Carnivores, they are a great tire! Thought about going with another tire this time around but the weight of the Carnivores made my decision!! Like 30 lbs. I went heavy on my Pioneer 1000 tires and learned my lesson!
Almost went with ITP Blackwaters think they would be a good 30" option too and just weigh a couple more pounds than the Carnivores.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4

Same here, been trying to make a tire decision for a couple months now. I keep going back to Carnivores due to weight, but concerned with durability. I guess its a trade off.

I'm considering the following in a 32x10x15
Carnivores (37.4 lbs)
System3 XTR 370 (45.6 lbs) Really like the rimguard on these
SuperGrip K9 (44 lbs)
M1 Evil (44 lbs?)
Warrior XT (49 lbs)
Blackwater (36.8 lbs)
Terrabites (40 lbs)

Last edited:
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Warrior RT's or XT's! That's what we're running on every machine here. We're in Madison, IN...and they're perfect for the hills, mud, trails, rocks, and creeks around here, KY, TN, and WV.

The Intimidators are pretty sick too. They're an awesome AT tire, and more aggressive for the mud than the Warriors.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Weight of tire is king on this machine in my opinion. If you like the power and quickness of the Talon then I would go with a light tire that has good sidewall protection. Otherwise you will be looking for power adders to get you back to the quickness it has stock. The sidewall toughness of the Carnivores is the main concern with those....that was my concern at least. I ride the same areas you do. The Blackwaters were on my short list too!

It is crazy the number of choices there are out there! I was pulling my hair out looking!!:p

Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
Appreciate everyone’s ideas, of course everyone has an opinion and this may of even made me more indecisive lol I really think black waters. Now I gotta figure out which beadlocks to run.. Here we go again!

U

UPSMAN

Nov 18, 2019
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X
Had Blackwaters,wore bad and had a too round of a profile to get maximum traction, Got a set of Terrabites and Carnivores. Terrabites are for 50% road and 50% hardpack trail, but for the best traction in the West Virginia hills are the Carnivores.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Warrior RT's or XT's! That's what we're running on every machine here. We're in Madison, IN...and they're perfect for the hills, mud, trails, rocks, and creeks around here, KY, TN, and WV.

The Intimidators are pretty sick too. They're an awesome AT tire, and more aggressive for the mud than the Warriors.
Love the warrior tires but it’s hard for me to swallow $200+ on a sxs tire. The tires on my truck were $215 apiece.

Reactions: Backwoods
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Love the warrior tires but it’s hard for me to swallow $200+ on a sxs tire. The tires on my truck were $215 apiece.
True...but, you're probably getting hit with shipping from other tire companies/resellers. That's a big chuck of change after the initial cost. We ship for free.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
True...but, you're probably getting hit with shipping from other tire companies/resellers. That's a big chuck of change after the initial cost. We ship for free.
Most of them offer free shipping that I’ve looked at. I think y’all’s tires are awesome but I just can’t see $1000 for four tires.

G

Greg1958

Sep 23, 2019
texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Same here, been trying to make a tire decision for a couple months now. I keep going back to Carnivores due to weight, but concerned with durability. I guess its a trade off.

I'm considering the following in a 32x10x15
Carnivores (37.4 lbs)
System3 XTR 370 (45.6 lbs) Really like the rimguard on these
SuperGrip K9 (44 lbs)
M1 Evil (44 lbs?)
Warrior XT (49 lbs)
Blackwater (36.8 lbs)
I have System 3 and love them.. Great people to work with.. Greg in Texas TalonR

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have System 3 and love them.. Great people to work with.. Greg in Texas TalonR

How much did you notice the extra weight? They seem really heavy in comparison to others and especially compared to stock.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ve been struggling with the tire choice too. I had the Tusk Terrabites for a little while on my RZR before I sold it and they were great on asphault/hard pack, and seemed pretty good in the steep loose rocky climbs, but the downfall for me was when riding gravel forest roads etc, they picked up ad threw the small gravel like crazy.

I looked at all the popular offerings, but between being too expensive, and/or too heavy, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of 30x10x15 Katani Mongrels.
Doesn’t seem like you hear too much about these anymore, but not long ago they were all the rage. I would have gone with the Carnivores, but I wanted 30x10 and near as I can tell the Carnivores only come in a 29x9.5 for a 15” wheel.
I’m hoping the Mongrels will be a good all around tire, and they’re dot legal.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I’ve been struggling with the tire choice too. I had the Tusk Terrabites for a little while on my RZR before I sold it and they were great on asphault/hard pack, and seemed pretty good in the steep loose rocky climbs, but the downfall for me was when riding gravel forest roads etc, they picked up ad threw the small gravel like crazy.

I looked at all the popular offerings, but between being too expensive, and/or too heavy, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of 30x10x15 Katani Mongrels.
Doesn’t seem like you hear too much about these anymore, but not long ago they were all the rage. I would have gone with the Carnivores, but I wanted 30x10 and near as I can tell the Carnivores only come in a 29x9.5 for a 15” wheel.
I’m hoping the Mongrels will be a good all around tire, and they’re dot legal.

Mongrels look the same as Terrabites with out the sidewall tread? How do they not throw gravel too? Thanks

jonacombs

jonacombs

Dec 18, 2019
Ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am also looking at the XTR370s. The weight has me second guessing. I like the looks of most of the west coast tires but I need something that will do well in muddy/slick terrain of the east coast without going to a full mud terrain tire.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!