P500 Best way to clean the P500?

C

Chooglin

I bet some just use windex and paper towels and go to scrubbing at dried on mud...that's gonna leave a mark.
Hey you talking about me........lol. My winshield is pretty much trashed. I took a trip to Royal Blue two years ago , it was so dusty that day , I had to keep wipeing the dust off of it (dry). I wish I would have had a spray bottle that day !

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hey you talking about me........lol. My winshield is pretty much trashed. I took a trip to Royal Blue two years ago , it was so dusty that day , I had to keep wipeing the dust off of it (dry). I wish I would have had a spray bottle that day !

So that's why you painted it! I just ordered some window tint for my half shield...dark green fade to black. :cool:

Reactions: Chooglin
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
If I had a windshield. .that had zero
scratches. .I'd be showin...bragging
Pics or it never happened
I would pay you some attention if it was worth it. I've been down this road with you before. You think what you say is gold and it really is sh!t. I don't take kindly to a stranger keyboard warrior calling me a liar. I have nothing to prove to you sir. My d@mn windshield isn't scratched and that's that. Maybe I know how to take care of it better than you?

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Wiping them is what scratches them. I've never touched mine with anything other than a squeegee or water. I might have rubbed a sponge across it a few times once it was clean. But I never wipe it with anything while it is dirty. One of my Rzr buddies gave me the pointer after he found out the hard way Lol.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Isn't it a rule of thumb that you don't use a high pressure power washer to clean any atv or utv? I always thought that you'd just push dirt and water into places you didn't want dirt and water. The owner's manual for most Honda's I've had mention this. If I use the power washer, I dial the pressure down quite abit. Soapy water in a bucket and soft brush will lift dirt off quicker. Usually, I just use a garden hose. I have the hose hooked up to hot water; I find that works better when it's cool out. If the rig is really dirty, or oily, I use Super Clean (Walmart).
20170118 172040 resized

I know that lots of guys will say that they've used power washers and their rigs are fine. Good on 'em.
PS: My wife has named the P5, 'Dirt Pig'.

My 2 cents.
Al

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I would pay you some attention if it was worth it. I've been down this road with you before. You think what you say is gold and it really is sh!t. I don't take kindly to a stranger keyboard warrior calling me a liar. I have nothing to prove to you sir. My d@mn windshield isn't scratched and that's that. Maybe I know how to take care of it better than you?
Wat ever dude
you said enough
....warrior window man

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
You said it.....
name calling.....
your just.......... SPECIAL

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Isn't it a rule of thumb that you don't use a high pressure power washer to clean any atv or utv? I always thought that you'd just push dirt and water into places you didn't want dirt and water. The owner's manual for most Honda's I've had mention this. If I use the power washer, I dial the pressure down quite abit. Soapy water in a bucket and soft brush will lift dirt off quicker. Usually, I just use a garden hose. I have the hose hooked up to hot water; I find that works better when it's cool out. If the rig is really dirty, or oily, I use Super Clean (Walmart).
View attachment 31312
I know that lots of guys will say that they've used power washers and their rigs are fine. Good on 'em.
My 2 cents.
Al
I use to think that too until I got it real dirty! I don't like to head into a mud pit but sometimes the trails are soup. If you go on a real muddy ride I don't see how you could possibly get it clean without a power washer. Last time I spent 3hrs power washing alone and still didn't get it completely clean.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I use to think that too until I got it real dirty! I don't like to head into a mud pit but sometimes the trails are soup. If you go on a real muddy ride I don't see how you could possibly get it clean without a power washer. Last time I spent 3hrs power washing alone and still didn't get it completely clean.

I hear yuh. I bought an Honda Rubicon a while back from a young fellow up in the northern oil fields. I literally spent days cleaning mud out of it. It's been 6 months and I still find the odd clump of dirt.

Reactions: LandPioneer
advertisement
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hear yuh. I bought an Honda Rubicon a while back from a young fellow up in the northern oil fields. I literally spent days cleaning mud out of it. It's been 6 months and I still find the odd clump of dirt.
Yep it's impossible to get it all. It drives me insane... I know they are off road vehicles but I like my stuff clean Lol. I wish there was some kind of magical Pioneer wash!;)

Reactions: AlR
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You can't use an ice scraper on your plastic windshield, I saw him do it, that's why it's scratched. Power washing your windshield won't scratch it, but you know that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 31312
PS: My wife has named the P5, 'Dirt Pig'.

My 2 cents.
Al
Power washer never hurt a utv, I've never heard that. I've been cleaning mine for years this way. The dealerships clean them this way. ;)

J

Jshell3

@LandPioneer , I believe you. (About taking care of your stuff)

Do you just let it air dry? That way you don't scratch it with a towel? Or is microfiber ok?
A 4 min video is WORTH watching to cleaning techniques.

How tough is Lexan?!?
I bet some just use windex and paper towels and go to scrubbing at dried on mud...that's gonna leave a mark.
But even as tough as Lexan is... Like @trigger said...Don't use Windex!

Last edited by a moderator:
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW: I power wash the whole sxs but don't put the nozzle close to anything I think will cause issues including close to wind shield. I use plexus for the final water spot clean-up on inside and out.

PS: Even with a PW, getting the mud out above the skid plate takes a few times. Around here, it is always mixed with grass/straw.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!