Big Red- ran it out of oil

G

Grapeman

Aug 10, 2021
Napa CA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Sad story....I have a 2013 Big Red MUV700. 425 hr. I noticed it was not shifting properly. Then not running good. Got hard to start...like starter was dragging. Then cooling fan coming on. I could start it buy jumping it. I suspected battery. Battery was good. I suspected starter, but was searching forums and decided to check oil. NO OIL! I added 1.5-2 quarts. Was able to start by jumping. Motor ran ok. Shifting was better but not right. Cuts out at high speed. Will only start by jumping and that takes several attempts. Starter drags. I suspect I have run motor almost dry on oil and have damaged bearings and scored cylinder walls causing drag.

Any suggestions or remedy's? Yes, I know...next time check the oil.

Ken

• Sad
Reactions: Jerryg and TxDoc
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Sad story....I have a 2013 Big Red MUV700. 425 hr. I noticed it was not shifting properly. Then not running good. Got hard to start...like starter was dragging. Then cooling fan coming on. I could start it buy jumping it. I suspected battery. Battery was good. I suspected starter, but was searching forums and decided to check oil. NO OIL! I added 1.5-2 quarts. Was able to start by jumping. Motor ran ok. Shifting was better but not right. Cuts out at high speed. Will only start by jumping and that takes several attempts. Starter drags. I suspect I have run motor almost dry on oil and have damaged bearings and scored cylinder walls causing drag.

Any suggestions or remedy's? Yes, I know...next time check the oil.

Ken
Unfortunately, Honda engines are not very forgiving in these situations.

On the plus side, it's a good machine worthy of an engine rebuild.

G

Grapeman

Aug 10, 2021
Napa CA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Yes I do plan to fix. Am I correct in assuming that the motor oil is the same oil as in the transmission? The same reservoir? The tranny started not to shift properly. You would have to get to a high rpm range before it would shift and sometimes you would have to lift your foot to make that happen. Could I have done damage to the tranny too?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I am not familiar with that model, maybe others could chime in but usually yes, the trans is in the same oil as the engine.

It has to come apart anyway, so get the full rebuild.

G

Grapeman

Aug 10, 2021
Napa CA
Ownership

1. Big Red
Ok I need to get it repaired. Anyone know where I can get it done in Northern California area?
I’m in the Bay Area.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!