P1000 Big tires rob power

A

AnthonyAce

May 7, 2018
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put aftermarket rims and Terrabite 28/10/14's on all four corners and it took a lot out of the machine. I have looked through the forum for other discussions about this with no luck. Getting the tires spinning was much easier before and I used to hit 67mph fairly easy. I am lucky to get to 60 now on a downhill straight away. Did you guys see the same power loss? It's not gutless, but there was a definite dropoff.

A

AnthonyAce

May 7, 2018
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IF YOU USE A CALCULATOR FOR TIRE SIZE YOU WILL NOTICE YOUR SPEEDO SAYS 60MPH YOU WILL ACTUALLY BE GOING 62.2 IF YOU COMPARE 27X10X14 WITH A 28X10X14 TIRE . CHECK IT OUT Tire Size Calculator
Yeah, I've done the calculations, still not getting what it was. It's still fast, but like I said it is a noticeable difference.

Reactions: Lady01
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Acceleration is naturally going to drop when the circumference of the tire is increased. "Taller" tires actually have a higher top speed as long as there is enough torque to turn them in the upper limits of the power band.

All things being equal...the shorter the tires (assuming the torque does not exceed available traction) the faster the acceleration will be to that gearing ratio's top end which will will be a lower MPH. Most people don't think about the tire size being part of the gear ratio but it most definitely is. The inverse of course being equally true...taller will accelerate slower but to a higher MPH.

Everything is a trade off.

A

AnthonyAce

May 7, 2018
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Acceleration is naturally going to drop when the circumference of the tire is increased. "Taller" tires actually have a higher top speed as long as there is enough torque to turn them in the upper limits of the power band.

All things being equal...the shorter the tires (assuming the torque does not exceed available traction) the faster the acceleration will be to that gearing ratio's top end which will will be a lower MPH. Most people don't think about the tire size being part of the gear ratio but it most definitely is. The inverse of course being equally true...taller will accelerate slower but to a higher MPH.

Everything is a trade off.

I totally understand all of that. It just surprised me how noticeable the difference was. I thought this machine had a little more. I thought my top speed would actually go up with the bigger tires, but I guess the torque isn't there to spin them. It did increase the weight of each tire/wheel combo by almost 15lbs/corner.

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I totally understand all of that. It just surprised me how noticeable the difference was. I thought this machine had a little more. I thought my top speed would actually go up with the bigger tires, but I guess the torque isn't there to spin them. It did increase the weight of each tire/wheel combo by almost 15lbs/corner.
I was going to mention if weight was a factor ? enjoy

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does anyone know what the weight of the OE aluminum (14") wheels and Bighorn tires are?

This topic is pretty important to those of us that like acceleration.

Personally, I've never driven the Pioneer with the OE tires. I had the shop spoon on the 27" MotoHammers off my trade before I picked it up. But it'd be nice to know how much weight I've added so far.. It might be the deciding factor on choosing a 27 or 28" wheel when the time comes..

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is why I always research tire weights and make my final decision off of that. With all things being equal, I choose the lightest tire available. We're talking about a machine with 72hp and gaining 60lbs in rolling weight plus raising the final gear ratio. You'd notice a drop-off in power with a 350hp pickup with that much weight.

A

AnthonyAce

May 7, 2018
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is why I always research tire weights and make my final decision off of that. With all things being equal, I choose the lightest tire available. We're talking about a machine with 72hp and gaining 60lbs in rolling weight plus raising the final gear ratio. You'd notice a drop-off in power with a 350hp pickup with that much weight.

Lesson learned. I had no idea it would make such a difference. I mean, I knew the effects it could have but thought the Pioneer was powerful enough to make it minimal. I will pay a lot more attention to that next time. On the bright side, I havent had a flat tire since going with the Terrabites. I think I had 4-5 plugs in every stock tire before I retired them. Every few rides I got a flat. These Terrabites hook up nice and show minimal wear after a few hundred miles.

A

AnthonyAce

May 7, 2018
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know what the weight of the OE aluminum (14") wheels and Bighorn tires are?

This topic is pretty important to those of us that like acceleration.

Personally, I've never driven the Pioneer with the OE tires. I had the shop spoon on the 27" MotoHammers off my trade before I picked it up. But it'd be nice to know how much weight I've added so far.. It might be the deciding factor on choosing a 27 or 28" wheel when the time comes..

I dont have the deluxe edition. The stock base model tire/rim set-up weighed around 33-35lbs.

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lesson learned. I had no idea it would make such a difference. I mean, I knew the effects it could have but thought the Pioneer was powerful enough to make it minimal. I will pay a lot more attention to that next time. On the bright side, I havent had a flat tire since going with the Terrabites. I think I had 4-5 plugs in every stock tire before I retired them. Every few rides I got a flat. These Terrabites hook up nice and show minimal wear after a few hundred miles.

A PowerCommander may be able to restore a little bit of the power but it'll never feel as peppy as it did with stock tires. At least you don't have to fear a flat anymore.

A

AnthonyAce

May 7, 2018
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A PowerCommander may be able to restore a little bit of the power but it'll never feel as peppy as it did with stock tires. At least you don't have to fear a flat anymore.

Yeah, I've been looking into those a little bit. I'm a carburetor guy so I am lost when it comes to fuel trims/mapping. I'm waiting for a tune to come out specifically for those of us that have done intake and exhaust. I don't want to have to tinker with it at all. I do love the durability and traction of the Terrabites, but might look for a little lighter tire next time around.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah, I've been looking into those a little bit. I'm a carburetor guy so I am lost when it comes to fuel trims/mapping. I'm waiting for a tune to come out specifically for those of us that have done intake and exhaust. I don't want to have to tinker with it at all. I do love the durability and traction of the Terrabites, but might look for a little lighter tire next time around.
It's funny you'd post this thread now.. I've been looking at tire/wheel combos for the last week or so. Your Terrabites are one of the lightest DOT 8 ply tires available (from the list I've looked at) I have a buddy that is running them on his Polaris 900 trail, and really likes them.
Here's what I found;

Tusk Terrabite 28/10R/14 =33lbs
STI Roctane XS 28/10R/14 = 33.8 lbs
EFX Motovator 28/9.5R/14 =41.8 lbs
EFX MotoClaw 28/10R/14 =36.2 lbs

My current EFX MotoHammers; Front 27/9R/14 =28.8 lbs, Rear 27/11R/14 = 36.3 lbs

Keep in mind, these weights are JUST the tire. If your 12" OE's were 33-35 lbs..... do the math.

I'm like you though, I will NOT deal with crappy 4 ply tires. I dealt with OE 4 ply stuff on my Brute Force, and sold that thing with plugs all over the dam things. I hate interrupting a ride with a flat. I won't do less than 6 ply ever again. I don't need big tall tires. The Pioneer has more ground clearance than the Viking did, and besides.. that's what skid plates are for. :)

A

AnthonyAce

May 7, 2018
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's funny you'd post this thread now.. I've been looking at tire/wheel combos for the last week or so. Your Terrabites are one of the lightest DOT 8 ply tires available (from the list I've looked at) I have a buddy that is running them on his Polaris 900 trail, and really likes them.
Here's what I found;

Tusk Terrabite 28/10R/14 =33lbs
STI Roctane XS 28/10R/14 = 33.8 lbs
EFX Motovator 28/9.5R/14 =41.8 lbs
EFX MotoClaw 28/10R/14 =36.2 lbs

My current EFX MotoHammers; Front 27/9R/14 =28.8 lbs, Rear 27/11R/14 = 36.3 lbs

Keep in mind, these weights are JUST the tire. If your 12" OE's were 33-35 lbs..... do the math.

I'm like you though, I will NOT deal with crappy 4 ply tires. I dealt with OE 4 ply stuff on my Brute Force, and sold that thing with plugs all over the dam things. I hate interrupting a ride with a flat. I won't do less than 6 ply ever again. I don't need big tall tires. The Pioneer has more ground clearance than the Viking did, and besides.. that's what skid plates are for. :)

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Terrabites. They are badass. Just didn't know they would steal my power. Yep no flats is a good trade-off.

Reactions: Lady01 and Jknac
Cmitchell

Cmitchell

Jun 28, 2018
Great Falls, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just added new tusk terrabite 28x10-14s with tusk beadlocks wheels and love them! Just put 150 miles on this trip and couldn't be happier with them. Top speed affected? Maybe slightly but I also added two storage racks, spare tire, tool box, highlift jack and the whole family with a drop of maybe 7-10 mph top speed. Not bad in my opinion for hundreds of pounds added! So I only hit 57 instead of 65 jumping on the highway but for those very short times the tradeoff is no contest.

20180701 131932 1530728010103

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Powercommander helps the bottom end quiet a bit. @joeymt33 just put 32" terra's with a PC and exhaust, no gear reduction and no problem around the TN/AL terrain. Rides like a Cadillac with big tires, elkas and later seat. Big tires do suck power out but on the trail it kinda of makes up for itself with the clearance and smoothness.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!