P1000 Bike running hot only 1.4 miles on it Any suggestions

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Yes I'm pretty sure it was mud the first time, then when it bubbled out somehow got a air pocket. I "burped it" for about a hour and cleaned the mud from both sides of the radiator best I could and let it sit idle for around an hour and it stayed at 2 bars with the fan coming on and off for short amounts of time. Hope it was just mud but plan on ride testing hopefully soon. Have a big trip planned the 20th and still have to get a axle installed and a full skid before then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Sorry for bringing back the dead thread but I still cannot figure out why my rig keeps running hot so easily. It only seems to do it going up hills. Big or small, it will get to 3 bars quickly and then go on to overheat if you don't stop after a little while. Wondering if it water pump is getting weak, any ideas?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for bringing back the dead thread but I still cannot figure out why my rig keeps running hot so easily. It only seems to do it going up hills. Big or small, it will get to 3 bars quickly and then go on to overheat if you don't stop after a little while. Wondering if it water pump is getting weak, any ideas?

Factory bumper? Aftermarket? Home made?

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
have you made sure the fan keeps kicking on could be a bad thermostat blocking the cooling. also what coolant are you running in the bike

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
It's a slasher bumper, the fan is always on when I stop, and just conventional green antifreeze mixed 50/50. I'm going to convert to Evans waterless but Im thinking I have bigger issues

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Like I said in this post along time ago, I ran it hot one-time being full of mud i have been fighting it since. Untill that day I never saw it over 2 bars on the screen. And I was alot harder on it

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
something simple and stupid but is the rad cap all the way down it goes to a half locked then father locked position that is harder to get to

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have ran mine hot a couple of times from the mud and once cleaned out it seemed to be ok I did replace the rad cap just to be on the safe side a buddy had an issue with his getting hit and his cap wasn't tight all the way

Fro

Fro

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2016
Ardmore
You may need to burp your coolant lines.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I struggled one time after mud coated radiator on our Wolverine to keep it cool. Same basic symptoms. Swore on everything holy it was head gasket after spending a ton of time parked in hills filling and everything ok for little bit but turned out air in the line.
Haven’t had that issue on the Honda but with these machines it’s really hard to get the air out.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I struggled one time after mud coated radiator on our Wolverine to keep it cool. Same basic symptoms. Swore on everything holy it was head gasket after spending a ton of time parked in hills filling and everything ok for little bit but turned out air in the line.
Haven’t had that issue on the Honda but with these machines it’s really hard to get the air out.

It’s only hard to get the air out if you aren’t doing it the way the service manual recommends.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ByronM

ByronM

Lifetime Member
Aug 9, 2016
St Charles, Il
Ownership

1. 700-4
Like I said in this post along time ago, I ran it hot one-time being full of mud i have been fighting it since. Untill that day I never saw it over 2 bars on the screen. And I was alot harder on it

Can you get a light to shine though the radiator so you can confirm that it is not blocked, I had a Polaris that overheated, visual inspection of both sides of the radiator did not tell the story, when I got a light to shine though it was obviously blocked.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It’s only hard to get the air out if you aren’t doing it the way the service manual recommends.

Service man wasn’t with at the time. On the Yami it was tough even with the bleeder but impossible without. Wouldn’t surprise me if Honda was the exact same.

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
The raidiator is clear for sure. It's been out and cleansed with foaming coil cleaner, alumnibrite and anything else possible. Pretty sure the system is bled as I can ride for hours without the problem untill I go up any incline. And even then most of the time it rises to 3 bars and stays untill I splsh in some water to cool it off and it will stay at 2 bars untill the next hill. Only time it gets overheating hot is on long hills that are really steep and I'm on the gas hard for a long time. I'll try to bleed it once more, but I have ordered a thermostat and next will be a waterpump unless anyone has anymore ideas.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Make sure the radiator cap is closed all the way. Its difficult to turn it the last 1/4 turn so it lines up with the overflow tube.

IMG 6683

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Yeah it is, it's a bare to get locked all the way

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll try to bleed it once more, but I have ordered a thermostat and next will be a waterpump unless anyone has anymore ideas.

Before you end up throwing a water pump at it, you might want to do a hydrocarbon test on the coolant system. You can get the test kit from any parts store. It tests for exhaust gas in the coolant system, since you have over heated it a few times now, a cracked head or blown head gasket could be a possibility. But I’m not aware of any 1000s having any of those failures yet. But when troubleshooting a rig I prefer to test over just shotgunning parts at it.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The raidiator is clear for sure. It's been out and cleansed with foaming coil cleaner, alumnibrite and anything else possible. Pretty sure the system is bled as I can ride for hours without the problem untill I go up any incline. And even then most of the time it rises to 3 bars and stays untill I splsh in some water to cool it off and it will stay at 2 bars untill the next hill. Only time it gets overheating hot is on long hills that are really steep and I'm on the gas hard for a long time. I'll try to bleed it once more, but I have ordered a thermostat and next will be a waterpump unless anyone has anymore ideas.

I know I haven't seen everything, but I've seen a lot. Thermostats usually stay stuck "open", so engine would never even reach operating temp, much less overheat. And a water pump either pumps at full capacity, or it doesn't pump at all unless the coolant is totally gummed up which takes years. My bet is a loose/faulty rad cap or a stubborn air pocket in the cooling system. Good luck and keep us posted!

Reactions: Deluxe700

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!