• Total voters
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be replacing my SuperATV Intimidators soon. I want something that lasts longer and gives great grip. The only issues I had with the Intimidators were longevity and maybe not as good as others in the rocks. Even on the rocks it took my wife and I everywhere we wanted to go. I LOVE the Intimidators look. My wife and I however realize we don't play in mud often. So I have to compromise on looks. I have done a ton of research and I am debating between these 3. If anyone has other recommendations I am open to suggestions.

To sum up our style in order of priorities I would say:

This is pretty much the majority we ride:
Blacktop
Slight Rock
Wet Rock
Rock Crawl

This might be 15%
Mud

I would say this might be 2%
Deep Mud Ruts

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I won't buy another Megabite.

For my 1000-5, I gotta agree with @Remington - LT/MT. His oft suggested Achilles Desert Hawk MT is towards the top of my list when the current Tusk Aramids need replacing.

From your listed tires: Sniper 920. I've watched the threads you've been posting in about those. If you want a UTV tire instead of an LT tire, I would definitely consider those. Lots of promise. Sounds like good tread life but decent grip in your other anticipated conditions.

For my Talon, I'm thinking GBC Kanati Mongrel or BFG KM3, but it won't see much blacktop or similar. Still wide open, though.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
@Hondasxs seems to like the AMS M1 Evil tires, but those are a UTV tire and you likely won't see longevity out of them if riding a lot of blacktop and similar surfaces. They are pretty spendy, too! But ... can't hide money!

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your describing LT/MT’s all day.
That is where I think my wife and I are at as well. After many conversations throughout this week about tires we basically realized rocky terrain seems to be our typical rides. Where we ride in Missouri, Tennessee, and Michigan seems to be pretty much rocky. At some point we want to ride Colorado and Arizona. From my research those two states seem to be rocky as well.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I won't buy another Megabite.

For my 1000-5, I gotta agree with @Remington - LT/MT. His oft suggested Achilles Desert Hawk MT is towards the top of my list when the current Tusk Aramids need replacing.

From your listed tires: Sniper 920. I've watched the threads you've been posting in about those. If you want a UTV tire instead of an LT tire, I would definitely consider those. Lots of promise. Sounds like good tread life but decent grip in your other anticipated conditions.

For my Talon, I'm thinking GBC Kanati Mongrel or BFG KM3, but it won't see much blacktop or similar. Still wide open, though.

Thank you for the feedback. I thought about Tusk from most of the good reviews I have heard from them. It seems most good reviews come from the terrabite but I felt something that cleaned mud better would be the megabite. The 920 was high on my list. I liked the kenda klever as well but felt the tread could be dealer.

Reactions: Scoop and Smitty335
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take a look at EFX tires. I have been happy with my Motovators.
I like the MotoSlayer but feel it would be similar to my Intimidators in performance :p
I can't help but like the look of extreme tires lol
The MotoRavage looks like a good compromise.

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is where I think my wife and I are at as well. After many conversations throughout this week about tires we basically realized rocky terrain seems to be our typical rides. Where we ride in Missouri, Tennessee, and Michigan seems to be pretty much rocky. At some point we want to ride Colorado and Arizona. From my research those two states seem to be rocky as well.
Dey R, indeed, rocky. :oops:

LT vs OHV tires - I'm retired and ride a lot of miles on wide open jeep roads so my speeds and mileage, are fairly high; moreso than rock crawling like the Blown Budget Offroad guys. So I wanted a high mileage tire for a reasonable price and ended up with the BFG All Terrain K02 LT tire. What I didn't realize was that the ride quality of a tire designed for a 6000 lb. truck wouldn't be all that good on a 2000 lb. SxS.

At rock crawling speeds, that wouldn't matter as much but on the faster trails I'm on, I was getting beat up; I really noticed it recently. I just replaced the worn out K02's with the BFG KM3 UTV specific Mud Terrain. My initial impression (60 miles) is that they ride considerably 'softer' than the K02's.

K02's mileage - my Talon wears out the rears twice as fast as the fronts, so I figure my mileage as 2 fronts, 4 rears. If I hadn't cut a front sidewall, I would have gotten ~11,000 miles out of 6 K02's. I don't think the KM3's will get anywhere near that mileage and they were $45 more per tire than the K02's. You pick your poison.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I like the MotoSlayer but feel it would be similar to my Intimidators in performance :p
I can't help but like the look of extreme tires lol
The MotoRavage looks like a good compromise.
I'm on my second set of ITP Tera Hooks, they work great in every thing except mud bogging. Never split a side wall, never had a flat and they're made in the States.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Despite the bad press the Tusk Terrabites sometimes get, I am pleased with them so far.

Have right at a 1000 miles on this set.
No measurable tread wear.

They are pretty good on most surfaces, including snow and rocky mud.
Don't ride much pavement but super quiet and stable, compared to Bighorns.
Solid sidewall.
Mounted on beadlocks, no leak problems. JME

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Youll be fine in CO. Ive done with my LT/MT’s with no issues

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
id go with

-round
-tubeless
-8 ply min
-dot if required for road riding and risk of someone actually checking
-for comfort UTV tire, for longevity LT tire

in all my years of riding in multiple states, with multiple groups, thru rocks, mud, clay, coal silt, etc, I've never seen someone not keep up because of tires - point is just pick one - whatever u pick will get you to where you are going

I have a 20+ year old king quad 300, with the original dry-rotted 3/4 worn Dunlops filled with green goop - lots of it, it goes everwhere\anywhere and is the tool of choice to drag a deer up a slimy 30 degree leave filled incline - wish I can get another set of these worn out Dunlops

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have EFX MotoClaws. They seem to grip well and don’t seem to be showing lots of wear. I do drive on pavement a fair amount. Looking at the other EFX models suggested mine are definitely on the more aggressive side as far as design. The others would be better on pavement.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Despite the bad press the Tusk Terrabites sometimes get, I am pleased with them so far.

Have right at a 1000 miles on this set.
No measurable tread wear.

They are pretty good on most surfaces, including snow and rocky mud.
Don't ride much pavement but super quiet and stable, compared to Bighorns.
Mounted on beadlocks, no leak problems. JME
Wait….shut the front door!
You go on muddy dirty terrain 🤣
Your rig is too clean! Theres no way!
Just messin with you

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bigger is not always better. That's what she said. Stick with stock size or one up and you'll have all you power and won't have to spend more money in other places. Pick what you do, mud, dirt, rock, etc. and that will determine the best tire. I really do more pasture and road but I have mud tires because when it's muddy I don't want to get hung up.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On my first UTV (Teryx 4), I burned Big Horn 2.0's too fast because I travel pavement at speed. That, and because I drove everywhere in 4wd so the fronts were replaced 2 to 1 versus the rears. (You live, you learn. A.M.).

Some So. Utah search and rescue folks and serious UTV clubbers swear by Kenati Mongrels for the pavement and off-road capabilities. Utah's street legal, which lets you drop, go on big rides, and loop back on the highway. There is a lot of pavement, rock, sand, and clay mud involved.

I appreciate the comments on this thread. I'm still running on the original Big Horns on my P1K5 and will absolutely look for something else when they're done.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Interco Sniper 920's, 28-10-14's on stock wheels. Finally got to run them around a bit on mostly hardpack and a little asphalt. Pretty damn quiet on the AC, WAY quieter than the Bighorns. On the hardpack gravel / cinder roads there was very little rock throwing from the tires, the tread is relatively open so not much is going to get stuck and get thrown into the plastic fender wells. So far so good with the little bit iv'e used them now, it's still a ways off but i'll report back when things get muddy and when the snow flies ......

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have EFX MotoClaws. They seem to grip well and don’t seem to be showing lots of wear. I do drive on pavement a fair amount. Looking at the other EFX models suggested mine are definitely on the more aggressive side as far as design. The others would be better on pavement.
The motovators have the least aggressive pattern and they typically don't break parts and they only dig to the skid plate. Despite being heavy they crawl around very well in soft terrain. They drive like a mud terrain on road loud but not too bad

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!