P1000 Tire issues.

H

Herkloader1

Nov 7, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wore my stock tires out in less then 500 miles.
I purchased some nice Tusk tires. My SXS started pulling hard left.
I got it aligned.
In less then 200 miles the front right tire is almost wore out.
Took it back to have them check it again.
They said they found a lose Jam nut and tightened it.
Then for some reason the swapped my right side tires ,front to rear.
It drove ok.
Then I noticed they had swapped my tires.
So I had to swap them back due to rim size differences.
It is now pulling hard left again.
I am assuming it is because the worn tire in now up front on the right side?
Also from looking at the back tires they seem to not be pointed in the same direction as the front tires. Also look to be pointing off canter to the left.
Is it possible I bought a new 2022 SXS that has a bent frame?
I cannot afford tires every few hundred miles.
I ride in the desert on semi hard and soft trails.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Your dealer Sucks. Honda may warranty worn out tires due being towed out or in 2 inches. Your Pioneer had to be that bad to wear out the front tires that fast. As of around 2 years ago there wasn't an alignment check on Honda's set up sheet.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wore my stock tires out in less then 500 miles.
I purchased some nice Tusk tires. My SXS started pulling hard left.
I got it aligned.
In less then 200 miles the front right tire is almost wore out.
Took it back to have them check it again.
They said they found a lose Jam nut and tightened it.
It drove ok.
So I had to swap them back due to rim size differences.
It is now pulling hard left again.
I am assuming it is because the worn tire in now up front on the right side?
Also from looking at the back tires they seem to not be pointed in the same direction as the front tires. Also look to be pointing off canter to the left.
Is it possible I bought a new 2022 SXS that has a bent frame?
I cannot afford tires every few hundred miles.
I ride in the desert on semi hard and soft trails.
They actually put a front on the rear and a rear on the front on one side? I would take it somewhere else. That’s brutal.

H

HondaTech

Your dealer Sucks. Honda may warranty worn out tires due being towed out or in 2 inches. Your Pioneer had to be that bad to wear out the front tires that fast. As of around 2 years ago there wasn't an alignment check on Honda's set up sheet.
Honda will never warranty Tires.

I had a customer with a P1K in 2016 under 200 miles with a tear in the tread, you could see the fibers underneath. Never driven on anything other than gravel. Honda said no, it's a wear item.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You really need a proper alignment. They also need to check for play in your bushings and ball joints. I would recommend for you to invest in same size wheels all around so you can rotate. I would also suggest 15" wheels so you can get some LT radial tires. That setup should last you a long time

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You really need a proper alignment. They also need to check for play in your bushings and ball joints. I would recommend for you to invest in same size wheels all around so you can rotate. I would also suggest 15" wheels so you can get some LT radial tires. That setup should last you a long time
When you say “they” you mean the dealership? The same one that put the tires on the wrong ends of the vehicle?
I would never let them touch my machine again. “They” obviously don’t do good work.

L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
nobody can afford tires wearing that fast ! i have 2500 miles on my stock big horns and they are hardly worn at all. 99% gravel. might be worth taking to a real alignment shop. not sure they can throw the computer on it but good techs can look at the worn tires and figure out what to change to make it right.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
nobody can afford tires wearing that fast ! i have 2500 miles on my stock big horns and they are hardly worn at all. 99% gravel. might be worth taking to a real alignment shop. not sure they can throw the computer on it but good techs can look at the worn tiresan and figure out what to change to make it right.
You can put the pioneer on an alignment machine and align it. You need to know how to set the proper specs.

Post #8

When I get my cfab arms I plan on using an alignment machine to set my camber/caster and toe again. Since this post we have gotten a new alignment machine. I can set it to read measurements in inches rather than degrees if I need.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

You can put the pioneer on an alignment machine and align it. You need to know how to set the proper specs.

Post #8

When I get my cfab arms I plan on using an alignment machine to set my camber/caster and toe again. Since this post we have gotten a new alignment machine. I can set it to read measurements in inches rather than degrees if I need.

What would you set the caster/camber to? There are no specs for any of that from Honda.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What would you set the caster/camber to? There are no specs for any of that from Honda.
You are correct about the spec. I am going to shoot for a slight negative camber maybe around half a degree on front and rear. I will match whatever I can that is easiest for caster on each side. I am not expecting any specific numbers for caster. I will have to check my numbers again because I think I set total toe to around 0.10 degrees. I will try to do that for front and rear.

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
shoulda smelled rubber scrubbing with less than 500 miles and worn out

these are not cnc machine precision!!!

Post some pics from front, tire wear pics , we can’t be sure this is really happening without pics!! U have a ton of weight on the front ?

Should be able to stand back and look at front tires, use a good old string, tape measure, straight edges, etc. and get the toe reasonable close - or at least see where the problem is, I get it not everyone knows, get some help if needed, buy beers and pizza, but jeez if tires are shot in 500 miles it should be darn obvious -

What does front tires pointed like rear tires mean ?

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was originally 1.5 out on the right side and 1.25 on the left side.
This description does not compute, toe is a single measurement taken between the front tires. Were they trying to tell you it was toed out 2.75? Inches??

Grossly toed out should be visible to the naked eye. Mine was delivered toed out about 1/2” and I could see that. Also a toe issue should wear both front tires, not just one.

You said the original tires wore out in 500 miles; all of them? Or the RF?

Based on your original post I would take detailed measurements of the chassis to see if it’s square and if the front and rear are parallel. These things aren’t BMW’s and if it’s tweaked enough to destroy a tire that fast it will be obvious with a tape measure.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It drove ok.
How In TF did u not notice that when u picked it up? Do u have macular degeneration? Its quite obvious as a girl walking naked in broad daylight down the street! I sure as hell hope u took pics of all this going on? For one its now your words against theres and you completely Fubared If u want to go back on anything plus proof so we can see!
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have several 1920's Chevrolet cars that I align with a tape measure. Check front rim mid-high distance, then do same on rear of tire. Rear should be 3/16 wider than front. Do that and it will run straight with no hands on the wheel and tires will live a long life.

H

Herkloader1

Nov 7, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got it back from a new shop.
They said the alignment was adjusted so bad from the dealership I took it to in Yuma that it was literally dragging me front right tire sideways.
I yest drove it and it now tracks straight and I can go from a dead stop and hammer down to 60 without out holding the steering wheel ,with no drift or pull.
I am going on a 68 mile poker run in the desert tomorrow so we will see how it does then.
I will never ever used Liberty Motorsports in Yuma AZ again.
They lost all my business and we where gonna order a Yalon from them this fall. Now I will buy it in MT instead.
These guys are my new goto place if I need anything down beyond simple maintenance.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!